Trade Rumours and Free Agents: 2016-2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I worked at a golf course when I was younger and he was just breaking into the league.

Not gonna pretend I am best buddies or anything but I can tell you is that I observed he seemed like a very quiet guy and appreciated being anonymous (some members didn't even know he was a hockey player) - I can't see him wanting to come here just for the spotlight it would put on him.

Personally I think we can stop daydreaming about other teams young star centres, we have our own, we need a top 2-4 RHD now.

what? :laugh: we weren't talking about getting Tavares.

we were talking if people can overcome bad feet. Tavares is someone who was noted to having some, and dubplate was saying that it could be overcome even 10% is better, and I asked if there were other noted examples - because Trouba (according to Dice, and thewave) has bad feet and will be slowing us down, esp. because we're building such a quick/moible team...

:) silly

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
With next years draft supposedly being a weaker one, what's the preferred currency Nylander or the 1st ?

I think trading Nylander is madness at this point - would move that 1st pick 10/10 before I touch Marner/Nylander.

And I wouldn't move any for Trouba. Gardiner + a 2nd/Kapanen is well within reason for him

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I doubt Toronto overpays for Trouba.

If he wants $8M his value is near zero and he will never see that from Toronto and at that price we may as well just keep Gardiner. He must be traded by Dec 1. or he forfeits the season, to me with that asking price Winnipeg has the problem. I don't see this management team wanting to overpay both in assets and salary. Why give up a first? I don't see it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
what? :laugh: we weren't talking about getting Tavares.

we were talking if people can overcome bad feet. Tavares is someone who was noted to having some, and dubplate was saying that it could be overcome even 10% is better, and I asked if there were other noted examples - because Trouba (according to Dice, and thewave) has bad feet and will be slowing us down, esp. because we're building such a quick/moible team...

:) silly

Good god, you're right. Ignore the previous post. 2 days now, zero sleep. Ignore me lol.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm dismissing Tavares because due to everything i've read
A: it wasn't that bad as people were making it out to be
and
B: i tend to exclude minimal people in analysis. he's the only 1 i know of so he skews results. if there were more instances, then I'd include him in my arguments for or against.

it's the reason why I eliminate 2002 as "best draft ever" (even though it is) because a lot of the benefits of that class was the Great Lockout soon after and a LOT of those players had an extra development year a lot of picks don't benefit from. same as people using "Detroit Model" as why we should solely use them on how we do things (because when you've got a team full of Hall of Famers it's easy to develop slowly).

Perhaps not, but Tavares worked his tail off to become a more mobile player, and it shows. I don't think we hear of any other examples because well how could we? I can't say I know enough about specific player examples unfortunately.

That said, based on some quick internet-ing and a basic understanding of off-ice workouts from my earlier days, foot speed and agility is something you absolutely can focus on and improve through practice and off-ice training

http://ericcressey.com/truth-about-quick-feet-agility-ladder-drills
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/a_totw20.htm
http://www.stack.com/a/foot-speed-drills
https://kingsportstraining.com/blogs/training-blog/8269753-10-best-speed-and-agility-cone-drills/
https://kingsportstraining.com/blog...13-agility-ladder-drills-for-faster-footwork/
https://www.verywell.com/best-agility-drills-for-athletes-3120599

I could go on and on... but point is, it seems there are definitely enough resources available to substantiate, at least to a point of minimum credibility, that practice & repetition will improve foot speed and agility. I just hope some of our guys are aware of this (Leivo, I'm looking at you).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think trading Nylander is madness at this point - would move that 1st pick 10/10 before I touch Marner/Nylander.

And I wouldn't move any for Trouba. Gardiner + a 2nd/Kapanen is well within reason for him

It would certainly open up our opinions come draft time so we can go BPA instead of being forced to take a Dman who is preferably RD
Gardiner + Kappanen is a price I'd be willing to pay to get Trouba
Fill Gardiners role in house in a year or two with Valiev Dermott or Nielson
That's if Trouba is willing to take a Rielly type contract
He should be willing since he would be close to home and is guaranteed top pair ice time beside Rielly

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Perhaps not, but Tavares worked his tail off to become a more mobile player, and it shows. I don't think we hear of any other examples because well how could we? I can't say I know enough about specific player examples unfortunately.

That said, based on some quick internet-ing and a basic understanding of off-ice workouts from my earlier days, foot speed and agility is something you absolutely can focus on and improve through practice and off-ice training

http://ericcressey.com/truth-about-quick-feet-agility-ladder-drills
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/a_totw20.htm
http://www.stack.com/a/foot-speed-drills
https://kingsportstraining.com/blogs/training-blog/8269753-10-best-speed-and-agility-cone-drills/
https://kingsportstraining.com/blog...13-agility-ladder-drills-for-faster-footwork/
https://www.verywell.com/best-agility-drills-for-athletes-3120599

I could go on and on... but point is, it seems there are definitely enough resources available to substantiate, at least to a point of minimum credibility, that practice & repetition will improve foot speed and agility. I just hope some of our guys are aware of this (Leivo, I'm looking at you).

that is more than fair :) then i stand corrected on that point. thanks for the information.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Would not Give up any of Matthews,Marner,Nylander, Rielly and 2017 1st to acquire Trouba. Anything else is fair game, as simple as that. Trouba is definitely a piece this team should acquire. 22 year old RHD with some grit,Already a top 4 dman and a lot of upside. He would fill a vital role

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I would deal anyone we have minus the big 4 for Trouba. Him on the top pairing with Rielly would let Rielly explode offensively as he doesn't have to cover for worse teammates anymore, and that pairing alone with be amazing for Corsi possession numbers and general holding of the puck.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Apparently Panarin is only looking for 6 mill a year. I think he is the type of player we hope marner turns into. 70+ point winger.

Call me crazy but I would trade Marner for him if he accepts a sign and trade deal. Imagine Panarin wth Matthews

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Apparently Panarin is only looking for 6 mill a year. I think he is the type of player we hope marner turns into. 70+ point winger.

Call me crazy but I would trade Marner for him if he accepts a sign and trade deal. Imagine Panarin wth Matthews

Honestly Panarin is a damn good player but when you put it all in perspective, he put up 77 points in 80 games as Patrick Kane's sidekick. It's extremely unlikely he matches that production without him.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007

Trading a Marner for a Panarin is stupid asset management.

I don't care who the best player is right now. Marner easily has enough potential to be as good as Panarin over the next four or five years.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Trouba having bad feet is a bunch of crap if you ask me. Outside of the poster who has been hammering Trouba hard on these boards for years now, nobody has mentioned this. How can someone who was just selected as one of the top 7 young D in NA be following a Luke Schenn development path? How is a 22 year old player who is considered better than Rielly defensively among most circles, a league leader in minutes on the PK, a slightly lower PPG than Rielly with more goals in less games played and a physical presence with a booming shot a second or third pairing defenceman? Yet according to him Rielly is a bonafide #1D? Trouba has plateaued yet Rielly has untapped potential? I've seen this poster make up complete rubbish and claim Trouba was a healthy scratch last year yet he played in 81 games. I believe this bad feet nonsense is pure fiction. The notion that Trouba has regressed is purely based on point totals while ignoring context. Many claim he has been getting better every year, has come off his best season and some even suggest he has been better than Myers.

IMO adding Trouba would solidify our D for the decade. Some of his strengths are Rielly's weaknesses and they would compliment each other really well. I wonder how productive Rielly can be on the PP - he was given big minutes after Dion was traded and put up next to nothing on the scoresheet. Having a player with a big time shot would be definitely nice to have. So much has been said about how Babcock has helped groom/develop Rielly, can he not do the same with Trouba?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Trading a Marner for a Panarin is stupid asset management.

I don't care who the best player is right now. Marner easily has enough potential to be as good as Panarin over the next four or five years.

Also panarin is LW... basically our organizational strength

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Trouba having bad feet is a bunch of crap if you ask me. Outside of the poster who has been hammering Trouba hard on these boards for years now, nobody has mentioned this. How can someone who was just selected as one of the top 7 young D in NA be following a Luke Schenn development path? How is a 22 year old player who is considered better than Rielly defensively among most circles, a league leader in minutes on the PK, a slightly lower PPG than Rielly with more goals in less games played and a physical presence with a booming shot a second or third pairing defenceman? Yet according to him Rielly is a bonafide #1D? Trouba has plateaued yet Rielly has untapped potential? I've seen this poster make up complete rubbish and claim Trouba was a healthy scratch last year yet he played in 81 games. I believe this bad feet nonsense is pure fiction. The notion that Trouba has regressed is purely based on point totals while ignoring context. Many claim he has been getting better every year, has come off his best season and some even suggest he has been better than Myers.

IMO adding Trouba would solidify our D for the decade. Some of his strengths are Rielly's weaknesses and they would compliment each other really well. I wonder how productive Rielly can be on the PP - he was given big minutes after Dion was traded and put up next to nothing on the scoresheet. Having a player with a big time shot would be definitely nice to have. So much has been said about how Babcock has helped groom/develop Rielly, can he not do the same with Trouba?

Not opposed to it, though I think you're hearing why some may be. The assumption is that its going to cost us a pretty penny, so people are naturally being super critical, as one might be with the purchase of any prized possession.

To me, I'd love to get Trouba, but I think there's credibility in the argument that the price may be too expensive (Nylander +). Also, we don't know what we have in Nielson, who to be honest looks to me like a young and smaller Colton Parayko. Walk the trade down the line a little and we may in fact regret sending guys like Brown, Kapanen, Nylander, etc for Trouba. I dunno, i'm just trying to play devil's advocate a little. I can see where the hesitation may be.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

You are crazy and should be checked into Arkham Asylum

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Not going to jump on you but thats not a good suggestion on many levels.

mcinnesja

Jul 27, 2007
Pembroke

He looked fast enough during the world cup, but i wasn't focusing on just him.
Could it be his first few strides?
As for his regression, ive read his hockey sense has been questioned.
But just looking at his pt totals i can see were it would raise flags considering he played an extra 21 games(272m) and put up the least amount of total pts for him.
Considering his 2nd most played with partner was Byfuglien i expected more.
Your right Trouba is a pk minute leader, but i mean a few ahead of him are Larsson, Polak, Hunwick. Thou ill give him he was the youngest that high up on the list
As for your pp time comment. Rielly only played 149.54 pp toi(2g 2a), while Trouba 104:54(4a) and both being 3rd on their team pp TOI
In his extra 45 minutes he did double Trouba's pt total.

Dont get me wrong, everything i dont like about Rielly's play Trouba does very well.
Neither are #1 defencemen. IMO Trouba is a good #3, while Rielly is a lower #2. Both have enough potential to be #1's if they manage to put it together.
They would make a great pairing, but for what the asking price trade wise is and then the rumored cost to sign him he's not worth it.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
There's just no point with the price Winnipeg wants and the amount of teams that would make a push for Trouba. Leafs are better off doing what they are already doing and improve the blueline gradually.

Doesn't seem worth overpaying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad