Trade Rumours and Free Agents: 2016-2017 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wouldn't say need is becoming less and less. I believe in the LHD/RHD in todays NHL. The game is fast. The game is young. I think it's especially important on D.
I agree we can hang on until we will see how Zaitsev does.
As I stated before, I think we need 1 more top tier D to go with Rielly. RH or LHD.

I see Gardiner,Zaitsev,Carrick as tier 2. Solid D to be sure but we that one extra piece.

I don't think we need to do what is to me a very lateral move from Gardiner to Trouba. The only upside here is that Trouba is 5 years younger... but he will cost a good ~2M more on the cap.

I'm not saying RHD/LHD isn't important, what I'm saying is that we have Zaitsev and Carrick right now, both very green and young with plenty of room to grow. Let's wait to see until they develop to go out and trade one of our best valuable players for the first RHD on the market, especially if we have to somehow add to him.

I don't blame the Jets for wanting a lot, for record. All I'm saying is that our need for Trouba isn't that high to me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I highly doubt a budget team like Ana wants to go any higher then the S. Jones contract (6 x $5.4). Rumours in summer were Lindholm was looking at Ekblad deal (8 x $7.5)

If that's the case based on those numbers, I can't see him signing the one you proposed and Anaheim would match it anyway.

Threads over 1000, someone sound the alarms.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
If that's the case based on those numbers, I can't see him signing the one you proposed and Anaheim would match it anyway.

Doubt Ana goes above $6M, WPG has $9M in space at the moment, they could realistically go to $7M if they wanted.

Have you looked at Anahiem's cap? Have you considered the fact Ana has an internal cap of approx. $3-4M less than the cap.

If there was ever a team ripe for an offer sheet it's Ana right now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think we need to do what is to me a very lateral move from Gardiner to Trouba. The only upside here is that Trouba is 5 years younger... but he will cost a good ~2M more on the cap.

I'm not saying RHD/LHD isn't important, what I'm saying is that we have Zaitsev and Carrick right now, both very green and young with plenty of room to grow. Let's wait to see until they develop to go out and trade one of our best valuable players for the first RHD on the market, especially if we have to somehow add to him.

I don't blame the Jets for wanting a lot, for record. All I'm saying is that our need for Trouba isn't that high to me.

I seriously doubt he costs 6 mill.

And our need may not be code red because we have Zaitsev and Carrick, but Trouba is an opportunity that does not come around that long either. So if the right deal presents itself, we should jump on it, even at the cost of Gardiner. Obviously the key word is "right", which may never come and in which case we can hold out for Dumba or a 2017 draftee.

But until that point, we don't acquire anyone and we have Marincin as Rielly's partner going forward (unless we see Zaitsev or Carrick step up). Shattenkirk and Fowler are terrible options for the price and what they'd bring, and I'd assume Lindholm (and Dumba right now) are not available.

Although I have a feeling Polak may start to rotate into the lineup in favour of someone like Carrick. Leafs have plenty of good puck movers, but they still could use the toughness element, which is the whole reason why Polak was signed in the first place.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Doubt Ana goes above $6M, WPG has $9M in space at the moment, they could realistically go to $7M if they wanted.

Have you looked at Anahiem's cap? Have you considered the fact Ana has an internal cap of approx. $3-4M less than the cap.

If there was ever a team ripe for an offer sheet it's Ana right now.

I don't need to look at their cap.
I've always believed that if a Team wants to make something happen they will/can.
I also know that Offer Sheets are rarely signed and if they are they are matched.

Who was the last player to sign one, Weber?
When was the last time one wasn't matched?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I seriously doubt he costs 6 mill.

And our need may not be code red because we have Zaitsev and Carrick, but Trouba is an opportunity that does not come around that long either. So if the right deal presents itself, we should jump on it, even at the cost of Gardiner. Obviously the key word is "right", which may never come and in which case we can hold out for Dumba or a 2017 draftee.

He will get between 5M and 6M... so yeah. That's why he isn't signed yet is because he's not getting Rielly/Risto money from the Jets. Maybe he falls to pressure and signs a bridge contract though.

What I'm saying is that we have young options right now. Zaitsev and Carrick are fine young players with potential. It isn't like we have zero RHD or they are terrible. You get what I'm saying?

Going out and giving our more reliable 'veteran' on defence, with a great contract, for a younger option with a lot of potential but also a lot of things to work on... I don't know why we have to do that when we have plenty of young players all ready.

I might be in the minority but I prefer keeping Gardiner over Trouba, especially right now.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I don't need to look at their cap.
I've always believed that if a Team wants to make something happen they will/can.
I also know that Offer Sheets are rarely signed and if they are they are matched.

Who was the last player to sign one, Weber?
When was the last time one wasn't matched?

I'm not saying WPG will do it.

What I'm more or less getting at is teams are stupid for not using this more often. WPG could set themselves up to be a power in the West if they were to get one of the best young dmen in the league for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Ana would never be able get retribution as they are tight to cap now, and will be for years to come.

There is literally no downside for a decent team with financial flexibility to put the screws to Ana right now.

O'Rielly signed one in 2013, last time it has been used.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not saying WPG will do it.

What I'm more or less getting at is teams are stupid for not using this more often. WPG could set themselves up to be a power in the West if they were to get one of the best young dmen in the league for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Ana would never be able get retribution as they are tight to cap now, and will be for years to come.

There is literally no downside for a decent team with financial flexibility to put the screws to Ana right now.

O'Rielly signed one in 2013, last time it has been used.

Right, forgot about that. Avs matched and then traded him?

I know it's circular but to me the reason why the Jets would want him is the reason why the Ducks won't match.

I've always thought that Offer Sheets are welcomed by the Team struggling to sign someone. They really can't lose.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The reason I suggest gardiner is because I think he's a good player. Not sure how it implies he's underrated

It's about a long term shut down rhd added to the core and trading from a position of depth

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only caveat to that too is the Leafs can pick up Dumba as well, since Minnesota is facing an expansion crunch and may be willing to move him (+) for someone like JVR.

Dumba is also someone who can fit quite nicely on a top pairing.

On a side note, it's Cowen's buyout hearing today. If it goes through, it may not be much longer until the Leafs make a move.

I'd be VERY interested in getting Trouba - though problem I see is I'm not sure what the Leafs have what the Wild are looking for

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Right, forgot about that. Avs matched and then traded him?

I know it's circular but to me the reason why the Jets would want him is the reason why the Ducks won't match.

I've always thought that Offer Sheets are welcomed by the Team struggling to sign someone. They really can't lose.

In 90% of cases that's true, but Ana literally has 6 players it can move that make enough to help their cap situation. 2 are forwards which is already a weakness (Cogliano and Silverburg), 2 are borderline unmovable (Bieksa and Stoner). Fowler and Despres are definitely movable, but moving just one isn't enough, and i doubt they want to ship both of them out.

I really think Lindholm would be signed already if Ana didn't have these cap problems.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The reason I suggest gardiner is because I think he's a good player. Not sure how it implies he's underrated

It's about a long term shut down rhd added to the core and trading from a position of depth

That's fair. I do get the idea of trading a LHD like Gardiner for a RHD like Trouba because we do have some interesting LHD prospects coming up --- not quite NHL ready though.

I'm a big supporter and fan of Gardiner so perhaps I'm too biased on his abilities. I'm just not overly sold on Trouba but I do recognize his potential and value.

On paper it probably makes sense.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

bf6E_M.gif

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
HockeyViz's Micah Blake McCurdy:

I don't get how some people believe in the notion that trading Gardiner for Trouba fills one hole and opens another.

Other than Zaitsev, we don't have anyone in the system that resembles a top 4 RHD, there's literally only Carrick, Corrado, and Lindgren. On the left side, there's Valiev/Nielsen/Marincin/Dermott/Greenway and so on. Not to mention the fact that LHD are generally much easier to acquire than RHD

We know how big of an advocate Babcock is for having his defenceman play their onside based off his comments and Canada roster selections. Not to mention when you look at our current lineup, no one offers a grit component other than maybe Zaitsev a little. I'm not saying we need to have meatheads on the backend but having 6 nonphysical D playing can be concerning, especially come playoff time

As for paying him more than Rielly, I think it'd be fine as long as we sign him to longer than 6 years. I'm sure we tried to do the same with Rielly but he wanted to be up for a new contract at 28. If Trouba gets signed for 8 years until he's 30, Rielly would understand why it's a higher AAV and that he was offered the same option

Trading Gardiner for Trouba doesn't make us better. You're creating an imbalance on the roster by doing so and banking on prospects that aren't NHL ready to replace him. Which is not super smart. In fact our two best defensive prospects at this point are both top 4 potential RH defenseman: Zaisev and Carrick.

All it does it get a marginally younger player, who is going to ask for more money than Gardiner (which we don't currently have the space for FYI) for a player who is just simply RH over being LH?

Sure Trouba might be a first pairing dmen in his numbers...but so is Gardiner. And he's better offensively, he's not that much worse physically (Trouba puts up a WHOLE 0.5 hits more per game. Woopdeedoo). It's a sideways move.

We want to add a top 4 dmen, not just switch one. All trading Gardiner for Trouba accomplishes is a nice balance of the roster (which is sooooo overrated in the NHL it's not funny but I digress. Babcock's opinion be damned).

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
In 90% of cases that's true, but Ana literally has 6 players it can move that make enough to help their cap situation. 2 are forwards which is already a weakness (Cogliano and Silverburg), 2 are borderline unmovable (Bieksa and Stoner). Fowler and Despres are definitely movable, but moving just one isn't enough, and i doubt they want to ship both of them out.

I really think Lindholm would be signed already if Ana didn't have these cap problems.

or he wants more than they are offering

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
HockeyViz's Micah Blake McCurdy:

I don't get how some people believe in the notion that trading Gardiner for Trouba fills one hole and opens another.

Other than Zaitsev, we don't have anyone in the system that resembles a top 4 RHD, there's literally only Carrick, Corrado, and Lindgren. On the left side, there's Valiev/Nielsen/Marincin/Dermott/Greenway and so on. Not to mention the fact that LHD are generally much easier to acquire than RHD

We know how big of an advocate Babcock is for having his defenceman play their onside based off his comments and Canada roster selections. Not to mention when you look at our current lineup, no one offers a grit component other than maybe Zaitsev a little. I'm not saying we need to have meatheads on the backend but having 6 nonphysical D playing can be concerning, especially come playoff time

As for paying him more than Rielly, I think it'd be fine as long as we sign him to longer than 6 years. I'm sure we tried to do the same with Rielly but he wanted to be up for a new contract at 28. If Trouba gets signed for 8 years until he's 30, Rielly would understand why it's a higher AAV and that he was offered the same option

Anyone who's played a lick of D would agree. I'm amazed that people still debate the issue.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
A lot of interest in Trouba comes from the fact that he is a RHD that can line-up at the top of the line-up with Rielly. Gardiner is 26 and locked up for 3 seasons. Trouba is 22 and can be locked up for 6-8 seasons. Trouba better fits their timeline.

If the Leafs get Trouba an immediate hole on LHD opens up. But, Anaheim is ripe for the picking right now. That is a legit option to fill that hole almost immediately. Dominoes.

Mad Brills*

Would you do campbell for greening? Saves cap though you'd have to bury him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
A lot of interest in Trouba comes from the fact that he is a RHD that can line-up at the top of the line-up with Rielly. Gardiner is 26 and locked up for 3 seasons. Trouba is 22 and can be locked up for 6-8 seasons. Trouba better fits their timeline.

If the Leafs get Trouba an immediate hole on LHD opens up. But, Anaheim is ripe for the picking right now. That is a legit option to fill that hole almost immediately. Dominoes.
ud never get trouba straight up for gardiner anyways ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad