Trade Rumours and Free Agent Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Big year for gauthier regardless.

Wouldn't shock me if he's not given a QO after his contract is up if he continues this way

Gauthier has already improved immensely. If you saw his NHL games you would realize that he can and will be a leaf.

Mad Brills*

Gauthier has already improved immensely. If you saw his NHL games you would realize that he can and will be a leaf.

Cool. Players who can't score well in junior don't usually become nhl players.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I predict he never plays more then 40 games as a Leaf.

Using his NHL play as a comparable when he was outplayed by Leivo, Brown, Soshnikov, Hyman, Nylander and others is why. That doesn't even get into players like Matthews and Marner or the 2016 picks or players like Johnson who just came to NA at the end of last season.

It's actually a positive that he's not as close as some think because we're too deep for someone like him to stick in such a limited role that we will need for introducing more youth as time goes on.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sometimes guys get surpassed or bust. We've been hit and miss in the 1st round. Are we average at drafting in the first round, better? Have to factor in draft position too.

Hit: Kadri, Rielly, Rask, Schenn
Likely Hit: Marner, Nylander, Matthews

Miss: Biggs, Percy, Schenn
Possible Miss: Gauthier (or at the least, it was an underwhelming pick)

Saved on the Schenn pick as he was converted into JVR, and I hate to say that because Luke seems like a good guy, but appears as though he's a bottom pairing guy.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Sometimes guys get surpassed or bust. We've been hit and miss in the 1st round. Are we average at drafting in the first round, better? Have to factor in draft position too.

Hit: Kadri, Rielly, Rask, Schenn
Likely Hit: Marner, Nylander, Matthews

Miss: Biggs, Percy, Schenn
Possible Miss: Gauthier (or at the least, it was an underwhelming pick)

Saved on the Schenn pick as he was converted into JVR, and I hate to say that because Luke seems like a good guy, but appears as though he's a bottom pairing guy.

Hey, I don't consider Schenn a miss we got JVR :popcorn: :yo:

We drafted value and traded it at it's peak

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
What was the value and what was that peak - in fact Flyers were stupid to make that trade

Absolutely that was a disaster

The value is clearly in the return :) Half of you were crying and acting like he was the Captain of the future. Let's be real.

Have a nice day

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The value is clearly in the return :) Half of you were crying and acting like he was the Captain of the future. Let's be real.

Have a nice day

In the return yes and in the draft hell no, I was never in his (Schenn) camp

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
God so boring and quiet, this is probably the worst time of the year for NHL (with no action and excitement)

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I don't know why everyone's so bent out of shape about Freddy G's offensive potential. I mean, Tiger Williams and David Clarkson were both 30 goal scorers, so anything's possible.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
God so boring and quiet, this is probably the worst time of the year for NHL (with no action and excitement)

Usually the dog days of summer are end of July through mid August, started a bit earlier this year.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
God so boring and quiet, this is probably the worst time of the year for NHL (with no action and excitement)[/QUOTEI}

It should be sinful for us, when most of us wait for Summer to hit, getting three nice months of nice, warm sunny weather. We should almost be ashamed of ourselves.:laugh:

Within me, even though I don't want to lose temps between 22C-28C, I still can't wait for hockey season to begin!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean, we still have some RFA signings that can happen at any moment. Something to look forward to.

We also have a backup to sign or trade for, at least as per Lamoriello.

While this is the boring part of the off-season, the Leafs still have some things to do.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I mean, we still have some RFA signings that can happen at any moment. Something to look forward to.

We also have a backup to sign or trade for, at least as per Lamoriello.

While this is the boring part of the off-season, the Leafs still have some things to do.

I agree - but no common trade :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lou has eight days to get me something for my birthday.
he'll make a move.
come. on...

it's too hot. we know what we want.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes the GOAT is being groomed to be a shutdown guy, but he's still no lock to be an NHLer.

Sure he seemed fine in the few games he got this year - but keep in mind Percy looked good during his call up and I doubt he ever becomes an NHLer.

For the time being we're stuck with him so we've just got to cheer him on and hope he develops as hoped. And then take it as a big lesson learned that it's foolish to waste a high pick on a role player at the draft.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
While you folks determine Goat's ceiling and floor, I'll stand back and watch what happens. For me, he intrigues, for others, I guess not. Time will tell.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
While you folks determine Goat's ceiling and floor, I'll stand back and watch what happens. For me, he intrigues, for others, I guess not. Time will tell.

It's July, we're all standing back and waiting to see what happens.

Providing opinion on how that "waiting and seeing" ends up as a finished project is kind of what message boards are for.

It certainly beats people complaining about not knowing what rounds conditional draft picks are in.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Could schultz have gotten a better pick than polak might? Babcock is a good coach, so maybe?????

All we know is that 3-4 months ago Polak was worth 2 2nds and Schultz was worth 1 3rd.

So now when given the choice we took Polak and his style over Schultz and his style.

Hard to argue when recent history proves that Polak had way more value when playing for us ~25 regular season games ago.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Could schultz have gotten a better pick than polak might? Babcock is a good coach, so maybe?????

The difference isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things.

While the Leafs will be sellers again at next year's deadline, I don't think it will matter much who is traded because most of the guys that you would have wanted to stay with the team including Marner, Nylander, Matthews, etc. would have got important playing time.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

You're sweating the little things.

I wasn't a big fan of the Martin signing at all and probably flipped out even more then I should have but Polak is literally a 1 year thing at such a small amount of money and he's likely at the very least returning a 3rd round pick for us that I can just "roll with it" - clearly they wanted a vet like him over another younger kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad