Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I understand that part of it and thinking. But I'd like to round the Whale out as much as possible. I'd like to see the team be as competitive as they can. I know it is not always feasible but I'd like to have guys like McIlrath, Bourque, Thomas, Hrivik, Skjei, Lindberg, Fast, Miller; etc, play on teams that at least have a winning mindset every night. I don't get that vibe from CT right now. I think their defense is very poor.

I guess my point is they should be focusing on their real weaknesses like defense. And I also think that they don't have really any promising prospects on that team. Bourque has battled injuries and never really took off. Thomas is slowly progressing. Hrivik might not be down there much longer. McIlrath can take care of himself. Who do we really need a fighter to protect right now?

The Rangers have many players there under contract with the NHL team:

Kolarik
Haley - middleweight
McIlrath
Bourque
Thomas
Hrivik
Jean
Grant
Tessier
Miller

I understand if we all may not see a "shiny" prospect out of that group but the hope is that at least a few of them can make the team in the future. The organization has put time, effort and resources into all of those players. Adding a guy who can take care of everyone is not much to ask.

Of course I would like the team to be competitive as well. Unfortunately they have a very young team and the defense is terrible. They need to fix that as well. Doesn't mean they can't fix both.........

FATCHAMALA11

Kneel Before Zod
Feb 16, 2006
NJ
NHLwiki ‏@NHLwiki
#NHL * Trade Rumor* -- #CBC's Eliott Friedman reports the #NYR may have interest in #Blackhawks Niklas Hjalmarsson. Denied by both teams.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That would be fun. Hjalmersson has been okay since he signed his contract. The Hawks like both Leddy and Clendening who have been tearing up the AHL.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
NHLwiki ‏@NHLwiki
#NHL * Trade Rumor* -- #CBC's Eliott Friedman reports the #NYR may have interest in #Blackhawks Niklas Hjalmarsson. Denied by both teams.

I don't think Hjalmarsson fits. I think if the rangers are patient they can find something better at the deadline; both for the 5/6 defense and up front for depth.

I know this puts me in fantasy land but I still hold out a small little glimpse of hope for Iginla as a rental.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not to mention; where is that cap space coming from? Can't see who we'd be sending back either. Hawks seem to want a #2C, and we don't have one to spare.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This team is set and everyone knows it, minus maybe a forward. We're not going to muck with anything right now.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He's on waivers though.

Not sure if you understand the waiver process. The Rangers would have to keep him in the NHL. If they claim him, then try to waive him to get him to the Whale, the Sabres just re-claim him and send him to Rochester. So basically, it's not going to happen.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hjalmarsson makes a lot for a very average defenseman.

I think he's better than average. He had an up and down year last year, but prior to that he's been excellent. Reminds me a lot of Danny G at the same age. Great shot blocker that keeps it simple, but shows glimpses of being a very good shutdown guy. Just hasn't managed to find the consistency in his game that he needs. He certainly fits the mold of this team.

One thing of note: Hjalmarsson can play the right side pretty well.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think he's better than average. He had an up and down year last year, but prior to that he's been excellent. Reminds me a lot of Danny G at the same age. Great shot blocker that keeps it simple, but shows glimpses of being a very good shutdown guy. Just hasn't managed to find the consistency in his game that he needs. He certainly fits the mold of this team.

One thing of note: Hjalmarsson can play the right side pretty well.

I don't know. Inconsistency at $3.5 million isn't exactly pleasing. But he is definitely a good shot blocker. I wouldn't hate the move. But it doesn't look like anything was close to happening anyways.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not sure if you understand the waiver process. The Rangers would have to keep him in the NHL. If they claim him, then try to waive him to get him to the Whale, the Sabres just re-claim him and send him to Rochester. So basically, it's not going to happen.

Haha, I do understand the waiver process. That's why I said to keep him around until after camp breaks. Maybe then the Sabres move on without him, grab someone else and don't try to reclaim him when the Rangers waive him? I know it's rather unrealistic, but there's no downside. Worst case is that you beat up a goalie that's not yours in camp for a few days.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Chicago is looking for a 2C, and for a capable goaltender.

Stepan is an automatic NO.

As for the goalie part...just NEVER.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
As for the Hjalmarsson rumor.
Do not see us being good partners in this instance
We hardly have/can spare what Chicago is looking for either.
In addition, Hjalmarsson has a hefty $3,5M cap hit remaining for next year. Which I do not we will under basically any circumstance take on at this point.
BS I say

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
The Rangers have many players there under contract with the NHL team:

Kolarik
Haley - middleweight
McIlrath
Bourque
Thomas
Hrivik
Jean
Grant
Tessier
Miller

I understand if we all may not see a "shiny" prospect out of that group but the hope is that at least a few of them can make the team in the future. The organization has put time, effort and resources into all of those players. Adding a guy who can take care of everyone is not much to ask.

Of course I would like the team to be competitive as well. Unfortunately they have a very young team and the defense is terrible. They need to fix that as well. Doesn't mean they can't fix both.........

I have hopes that McIlrath becomes a solid, hard hitting smart defenseman that doesnt take too many unnecessary penalties and has the second line slot eventually. Maybe not shiny, but one of those guys that is reliable when you need him. I dont know if thats wishful thinking or not, but thats what I hope.

edit: for the Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad