Rumor: Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Not true. Those that can fight and play the game will always have a role.

That makes them hockey players, not goons.

Some of the goons recently listed here couldnt skate or stick handle their way out of a paper bag.

Fighting will always have a role in the league, goons will not.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
That makes them hockey players, not goons.

Some of the goons recently listed here couldnt skate or stick handle their way out of a paper bag.

Fighting will always have a role in the league, goons will not.

SO...what's a goon then? Aaron Asham scored over a point per game in the Dub:

1996–97 Red Deer Rebels WHL 67 45 51 96 149 16 12 14 26 36
1997–98 Red Deer Rebels WHL 67 43 49 92 25 5 0 2 2 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arron_Asham

There is a FINE line between goon and player

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
SO...what's a goon then? Aaron Asham scored over a point per game in the Dub:

1996–97 Red Deer Rebels WHL 67 45 51 96 149 16 12 14 26 36
1997–98 Red Deer Rebels WHL 67 43 49 92 25 5 0 2 2 8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arron_Asham

There is a FINE line between goon and player

I dont understand how or why you're confused by this. A goon is labeled a goon because his only job is to go out there and goon it up. Asham can actually play a bit - same goes for Rupp.

Derek Boogaard was a goon.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I dont understand how or why you're confused by this. A goon is labeled a goon because his only job is to go out there and goon it up. Asham can actually play a bit - same goes for Rupp.

Derek Boogaard was a goon.

We do not disagree on the point, it's a distinction, but I wanted to point out that not all fighters are goons...and actually Asham can play A LOT...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
We do not disagree on the point, it's a distinction, but I wanted to point out that not all fighters are goons...and actually Asham can play A LOT...

Fighting will always be a part of the game.

Luckily, its shifting to guys like Asham, and away from guy that simply cant play the game.

One day we can hopefully rid the word goon from the hockey lexicon entirely.

LetterJ

Feb 16, 2012
Atlantic Canada

Luckily, its shifting to guys like Asham, and away from guy that simply cant play the game.

Exactly...see Dave Semenko. But some of these guys today can actually put the puck in the net

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
Sather can always go out and get a goon - they're a dime a dozen.

Guys who can play and fight are worth the money.

Hasn't everyone here been complaining for years that we have a lack of scoring - if we could've potted a few more goals last year, we'd have been playing the Kings, not the Debbies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I get that. The Rangers as an organization are not built like the Wings. And even they decided to bring in Bertuzzi and Tootoo over the past few years. Before that they had McCarty and Shanahan.

I understand the point you are trying to make but will you sing the same tune if McIlrath gets hurt having to fight a goon who cheap shotted Christian Thomas? The Rangers decided not to carry a tough guy for a while. Then they got pushed around and brought up Orr. Since then they have pretty much consistently had a heavy dressed. Most teams do the same.

The Sabres have tried for years to just look the other way and kill the other team on the PP. They have been getting steamrolled by the Bruins for a,few years and decided to bring in Scott and Ott.

I'd rather McIlrath be fight trying to defend Thomas and us carry a player that can at least play a little. How often do players get hurt fighting anyway?

Also, it's not that fighting is bad, it's just that some people seem to think it's more important than scoring and defending.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, Sather is another guy that's fascinated by goons. What did we trade a 3rd for John Scott? Or was it a 5th? Either way may have been the worst trade of his tenure. Seriously, did he even play a game for us?

Trident

Jan 12, 2013
Last year's Rangers team was, collectively, the toughest Rangers team we have seen in a very long time, and this year should be close to the same. As much as I miss the goon and the 80's frontier justice beatdowns, it's loosing its place in the game.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

Agreed, Asham is not a goon in my opinion. He's Prust with a little better offensive abilities but can't kill penalties/play in a defensive role.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The old school goon, ala Brashear, Boogard, etc. is done for. The replacement is not a goon at all; it's guys like Prust who can play hockey and have a specific role but are still willing to drop the gloves very often. I couldn't be happier for that evolution.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd rather McIlrath be fight trying to defend Thomas and us carry a player that can at least play a little. How often do players get hurt fighting anyway?

Also, it's not that fighting is bad, it's just that some people seem to think it's more important than scoring and defending.

Do you really want a D-man fighting especially if you are carrying 6 D-men?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Hartford needs some bodies
2-3 new players I would think

Hrivik (when back) - Newbury - Kolarik
Bourque - Miller - Thomas
Haley - Jean - Segal
Grant - Tessier - Yogan
Wiebe

is not going to get the job done

The defense of:

Collins - McIlraith
Klasen - Parlett
Vernace - Logan
Niemi (injured)

is simply atrocious so far

A goon to take some pressure of of Big Mac is not a bad idea.
Trade Grant for an AHL goon
Pick up 2 new and steady AHL players off waivers/new AHL contracts
There will be options...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Guys, I have zero problem with the Rangers "toughness", what I was saying is lacking is an experienced guy in the AHL. Haley and McIlrath are not going to cut it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Guys, I have zero problem with the Rangers "toughness", what I was saying is lacking is an experienced guy in the AHL. Haley and McIlrath are not going to cut it.

Correct. They need someone else down there. AHL is loaded with actual goons and I don't want McIlrath having to do all the heavy lifting.

Need to go get PL Letourneau-Leblond, DJ King or someone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Correct. They need someone else down there. AHL is loaded with actual goons and I don't want McIlrath having to do all the heavy lifting.

Exactly.

I am surprised the Rangers have been so quiet considering they need real help at the AHL level. There are also players available for depth that haven't signed anywhere as of yet.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Good call, forgot about DJ King. That's the type they need in CT.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm all for having a heavy weight in the AHL. Those guys are in abundance in that league and McIlrath shouldn't have to be squaring off against them night after night. We know the kid can scrap. Let him work on the things that will actually make him valuable to us in the long run and let some goon with no future fight the others of the same ilk.

McIlrath should be one of those guys who is a damn good hockey player and just happens to be able to beat the hell out of just about anyone. That's the kind of fighter I can get behind.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Good call, forgot about DJ King. That's the type they need in CT.

DJ King can play hockey so no I wouldn't be opposed to a player like him. My issue was with the names that were being dropped yesterday. Past goons and current goons who just flat out sucked at hockey. Don't waste the roster spots on them.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
DJ King can play hockey so no I wouldn't be opposed to a player like him. My issue was with the names that were being dropped yesterday. Past goons and current goons who just flat out sucked at hockey. Don't waste the roster spots on them.

MY thing is, what does it matter if (1) spot is being taken up in the AHL on the 4th line. The Rangers don't have that many promising prospects that they can't sign a vet to fill that role.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
MY thing is, what does it matter if (1) spot is being taken up in the AHL on the 4th line. The Rangers don't have that many promising prospects that they can't sign a vet to fill that role.

I understand that part of it and thinking. But I'd like to round the Whale out as much as possible. I'd like to see the team be as competitive as they can. I know it is not always feasible but I'd like to have guys like McIlrath, Bourque, Thomas, Hrivik, Skjei, Lindberg, Fast, Miller; etc, play on teams that at least have a winning mindset every night. I don't get that vibe from CT right now. I think their defense is very poor.

I guess my point is they should be focusing on their real weaknesses like defense. And I also think that they don't have really any promising prospects on that team. Bourque has battled injuries and never really took off. Thomas is slowly progressing. Hrivik might not be down there much longer. McIlrath can take care of himself. Who do we really need a fighter to protect right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad