Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread: Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
You don't know if the team is being "passive" about making moves. Nobody knows that. If I go to the store for bread and it's 50 bucks am I being passive by not buying the bread? No because I know what the market value is for bread. Sather knows the market value for players. Sather also knows that you can't overpay when they team is in 8th place and could easily miss the playoffs.

This is well said.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Sometimes the best moves you make are the one's you don't make. You threw out a bunch of proposals and nobody knows if another team would agree to them. Trading a 2nd round pick would be beyond stupid. What if the Rangers can't recoup the 2nd and miss the playoffs? We would haven't a pick until the 3rd round and for a team that misses the playoffs that's unacceptable.

You don't know if the team is being "passive" about making moves. Nobody knows that. If I go to the store for bread and it's 50 bucks am I being passive by not buying the bread? No because I know what the market value is for bread. Sather knows the market value for players. Sather also knows that you can't overpay when they team is in 8th place and could easily miss the playoffs.

Your arguing that the expected value from a 2nd round pick is high. It is not. Most likely scenario is you're getting a bottom line player or someone who doesn't make it.

16 To Stanley*

Sometimes the best moves you make are the one's you don't make. You threw out a bunch of proposals and nobody knows if another team would agree to them. Trading a 2nd round pick would be beyond stupid. What if the Rangers can't recoup the 2nd and miss the playoffs? We would haven't a pick until the 3rd round and for a team that misses the playoffs that's unacceptable.

Great points. Again, unless that 2nd is going for something that is a good, long-term piece, i want to keep it. If we were in first place, with no holes and tearing it up, i'd obviously be on a different page. We're a borderline playoff team this year with a deep run unlikely. Keep the pick, look to next season, get a training camp, fill the holes in the off season, go to war.

We have a lot of good guys on this roster. A lot of long term pieces. We need to surround them with the right role players.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Would have been a big addition to the 3rd line with Kreider and Callahan.

Pyatt, C. Thomas and a 2nd isn't a bad deal.

Put's Boyle squarely on the 4th line where he should NEVER move from.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Your arguing that the expected value from a 2nd round pick is high. It is not. Most likely scenario is you're getting a bottom line player or someone who doesn't make it.

You are talking about an organization that has gotten very good value from their 2nd round picks.

16 To Stanley*

But the Rangers scouting has been wonderful with these middle of the pack and even late round picks. I'd rather take that chance them dumping it in a nothing trade for a guy who's frankly, not going to make a huge difference.

Fast - 6th Round
Kundratek - 3rd Round
Stepan - 2nd Round
Hagelin - 6th Round
Anisimov - 2nd Round
Tom Pyatt - 4th Round
Sauer - 2nd Round
Callahand - 4th Round
Dubinsky - 2nd Round
Lundqvist - 7th Round
Dom Moore - 3rd Round
Tyutin - 2nd Round
Potter - 4th Round
Thomas - 2nd Round

Those are all guys who are on the cusp or have made an impact at the NHL level, dating back to 2000. None of them are 1st round picks. I left out guys like Dawes, Prucha, etc, that got a significant amount of time but didn't stick.

Any draft is a crap shoot, but i'd much rather look for a long term asset in that crap shoot (Anisimov, Stepan, etc) then go for a player like Roy.

Championship*

Is tomorrow the deadline or today? :laugh:

All these names going fast, there's going to be nobody to trade tomorrow.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: As first reported by Mike Heika, Jaromir Jagr has been dealt to the Boston Bruins although still pending a trade call

Championship*

In two seasons Jagr went from 3 NHL teams total to 6.

Love that guy, Brooksies tweet today was bittersweet but we are just not in that position this year.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Give me the chance to draft Derek Stepan, Oscar Lindberg, Artem Anisimov, or Mike Sauer over a rental player we can't afford to re-sign any day of the week.

You rent players to fill holes for a cup run. This team has too many holes to fill to make it worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad