Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXV "Gorton the new magician?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Agreed here. I wonder if a Lindberg+McIlrath package could get us something here.

I want Trouba badly, but if nothing can be worked out, maybe we can make a deal for a 4-5 D on another team who is youngish and poised for a breakout or needs a change of scenery?

It would be tremendous if we could somewhat fix the defense and also keep the top 9 intact.

Ryan Murphy is your guy.

Wouldn't mind adding both he and Trouba to the team though. I wonder if a Murphy for McIlrath deal can be done

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He definitely made a mistake on the staal trade but most of his offseason moves were ones which would have no negative impact on the future

That Staal trade was all Sather... Brooks said so himself after the playoffs

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Ryan Murphy is your guy.

Wouldn't mind adding both he and Trouba to the team though. I wonder if a Murphy for McIlrath deal can be done

I would like to re-visist that Pokka idea we had a few weeks ago.

I like both of these ideas a lot.

Chicago desperately needs forward help. Have to think Lindberg + for Pokka has been considered--he is still waiver exempt which would give the rangers a lot of flexibility this year, but he's a 3rd year pro this season so he is not expansion exempt (unlike Skjei) but probably not good enough to protect either (he's not trouba or Vatanen)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I like both of these ideas a lot.

Chicago desperately needs forward help. Have to think Lindberg + for Pokka has been considered--he is still waiver exempt which would give the rangers a lot of flexibility this year, but he's a 3rd year pro this season so he is not expansion exempt (unlike Skjei) but probably not good enough to protect either (he's not trouba or Vatanen)

I don't think the Rangers would have to add. I'd be cool with Pokka too. Skating bothers me a bit but not enough to shy away, big league shot.

Neither he or Murphy would make it into the lineup unfortunately. G is AV's new pet rock (until Glass is recalled.)

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I don't think the Rangers would have to add. I'd be cool with Pokka too. Skating bothers me a bit but not enough to shy away, big league shot.

Neither he or Murphy would make it into the lineup unfortunately. G is AV's new pet rock (until Glass is recalled.)

Girardi is not the worst defenseman in the lineup.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Wait, what? Gorton is the GM, and Sather is the President. Gorton would have the final say on trade moves, not Sather.

Exactly. Gorton has said they have a team of people (including Sather) who collaborate on the discussions and give their opinions, but ultimately he has the final decision.

Which he did for the Staal deal. It's just people wanting to blame Sather because it didn't work out.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Exactly. Gorton has said they have a team of people (including Sather) who collaborate on the discussions and give their opinions, but ultimately he has the final decision.

Which he did for the Staal deal. It's just people wanting to blame Sather because it didn't work out.

Poor Sather when he was GM all of his good moves were due to Gorton. Now Gorton is the GM and all the bad moves are due to him. Can't win. :laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Girardi is not the worst defenseman in the lineup.

Then who is?

Holden? I don't know if hes any worse than G, and hes playing at least 2 pairings to high and on his off side.

He shouldn't be playing with McDonagh (or arguably at all, the best argument to get him in is at 3LD, and I'd much rather let Skjei get the ice time) but neither should G.

Ideally, I'd like to see something like this:

McD-Trouba
*Skjei-Klein
Staal- Clendenning/Murphy/Pokka
Holden-G

*- Assuming that Skjei isn't moved for Trouba and he takes a decent leap between now and April.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we can trade Klein+Lindberg for a 1st round pick plus 3 players, we can possibly trade Girardi for Ovechkin too

not so unbelievable
Klein + Lindberg help immediately

it is really all just for the pick, which is already pushed back to 2018, and for their first I'd even push it back further if nec

Yaki is a project, potentially a major beast, but extremely raw

Pitlik and Davidson are also not immediately useful/valuable 'players' and are cap dumps

deadwood for Oilers and for us
we taking them in is part of the overall value

but all of that in consideration, yeah, they should be willing to do that

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Nope. Confirmed by Brooks and several sources here that last season was the final season of Sather influence.

I cannot find the article but I know Brooks wrote it right after elimination. Perhaps rangerboy can assist.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If AV isn't going to play McI, we can only hope for a MDZ <--> Klein part two. Sad we didn't draft Fowler because we had MDZ at the time. I was jumping up and down when he fell. BPA man. BPA...

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Nope. Confirmed by Brooks and several sources here that last season was the final season of Sather influence.

I cannot find the article but I know Brooks wrote it right after elimination. Perhaps rangerboy can assist.

hopefully Sather will concede any major opinions from now on? Can we give Gorton credit for all of Sather's magician trades? :naughty:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ryan Murphy is your guy.

It looks like Ryan Murphy will join Jeff Jilson in my Hall of Shame.

I am often wrong, but I am almost never extremely sold on someone that goes bust. I didn't expect Ryan Murphy to become a top 10 D in the league, but I just cannot understand why he hasn't been able to establish himself yet in the NHL, and at least become a top 20-40 offensive D. He is very slick on his skates. Has really good vision. Solid on the point. He isn't horribly defensively.

I still would love to take a shot on him and see how he does in a more free role. Remember that Carolina has been very restricted in their game during his tenure there. But I would be surprised if it happened at this point...

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Low key I would trade for Pokka and Murphy if we could and trade away McIlrath. You know AV won't use McIlrath so easy to just say goodbye and wish him well. Then we make two minor trades for RHD with high potential. Better than going nuts and chasing a Trouba or Vatanen in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad