Speculation: Trade Rumors & Roster Building Thread: Part XXV "Gorton the new magician?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would McIlrath get claimed? Im asking a serious answer that I dont know the answer to.

would not bet vs it

Really good point. The Rangers are afraid to expose him to waivers because they fear (correctly) that he will be claimed. Yet they won't play him. Seems like the only answer left is that he will be traded.
Or,
they will trade someone else.

If you put lindberg on waivers right now no one would claim him.
I would not risk that, although I agree demand is not all time high.

Klein + Lindberg
Edm 2018 1st, Yakimov + 2 expiring scrubs (Pitlik, Davidson)
condenses talent
returns futures

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers really are in an excellent position right now. An embarrassment of riches at forward, the core players are all between the ages of 22 and 27, and they have more cap room than most teams. Not to mention the excellent start to the season.

Gorton is in a position of power here, and it seems he's exercising that power in negotiations. We just need to be patient. I think Gorton will surprise us with how good a deal he gets for either Vats or Troubs (or a another player who we don't realize was available, like with Zibs). Haven't felt this good about the Rangers current position and future since I started following the team. He's got more of a direction than Slats ever had: get younger, bigger, and faster. He pretty much built the Bruins 2011 championship in one off season, so I'm eager to see what he can do over the course of the next decade for this team. He's off to a rousing start. If he can get Chevy to cave on Trouba, he'll start to plant himself as one of the next great GMs, along with Yzerman and Nill.

An embarrassment of riches is a strong term. This team is still an injury or two away up front from some really serious issues.

The Rangers need to be careful here. For as long as I've been a fan, the knee-jerk reaction is to deal deal deal from a perceived position of power only to have it blow up in their faces. Give Gorton more time to find a cheap solution at RD. I'd like to enjoy this forward depth for a while.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It must be super annoying when Pierre asks AV if he's kind of copying pittsburgh's style of playing Fast when it's pitt that copied our model the two previous seasons. Tampa went out and got 3 of our players just to copy it even more.

We need a Cup really do to get that respect.

Yep and the Pens got Hagelin...

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Rangers really are in an excellent position right now. An embarrassment of riches at forward, the core players are all between the ages of 22 and 27, and they have more cap room than most teams. Not to mention the excellent start to the season.

Gorton is in a position of power here, and it seems he's exercising that power in negotiations. We just need to be patient. I think Gorton will surprise us with how good a deal he gets for either Vats or Troubs (or a another player who we don't realize was available, like with Zibs). Haven't felt this good about the Rangers current position and future since I started following the team. He's got more of a direction than Slats ever had: get younger, bigger, and faster. He pretty much built the Bruins 2011 championship in one off season, so I'm eager to see what he can do over the course of the next decade for this team. He's off to a rousing start. If he can get Chevy to cave on Trouba, he'll start to plant himself as one of the next great GMs, along with Yzerman and Nill.

Great post, I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a weird feeling he's going to get Trouba at a great price, but we'll see.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Am I the only one that hasn't forgotten about the Staal trade? :cry:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Pretty much what I posted earlier, but you articulated it much better for me.

Unfortunately for Trouba, I think that Chevy really is enough of a hard ass to let Trouba sit out the entire season. Winnipeg has his rights for 3 more seasons. Though, no one has blinked in the staring contest between him and Trouba and Overhardt.

There is just no way that Carolina is going to give up Hanafin, Toronto give up Reilly, Edmonton give up Klefbom, Phoenix Chychrun or Ekman-Larsson, Boston Torey Krug, etc. etc.

Boston, Colorado, Detroit, NYR, and Arizona are the teams in on Trouba. Winnipeg wants a straight across move for an equivalent LHD.

Boston isn't trading Krug.

Colorado isn't trading Barrie or Johnson (both of whom are RHD's). Would Winnipeg accept Zadorov and another piece?

Who does Detroit have? Brendan Smith? Please. Ouellette and Sproul aren't enough.

Arizona has already said publicly that Chychrun is a non-starter. Ekman-Larsson is like McDonagh to us. Untouchable unless a huge plus is coming back from Winnipeg along with Trouba.

That leaves the Rangers, who won't get Trouba for Skjei and a significant add such as Miller or Hayes, plus McIlrath maybe as a sweetener. That's not what Winnipeg wants. Cam Fowler makes a lot of sense for Winnipeg. Is a top 4 LHD, but is a UFA in 2018. The Rangers will need to send a little extra to Winnipeg...

Rangers trade JT Miller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler. Rangers get Fowler for 80 cents on the dollar because of their dire cap situation. Rangers flip Fowler, Oscar Lindberg, and Dylan McIlrath for Trouba. Done. Send both GM's the paperwork to sign.

The Rangers keep Skjei and add Trouba to the mix.

This makes too much sense!

For the Ducks, I think it makes a lot of sense. Add Miller. Save money. Add a potential top 6 player. IMO he is better then Cogliano. Id argue that Miller is also better then Silfverberg. Anaheim has 2 Right Handed Centers in their top 6. Millers a lefty. He also has played all forward positions.

TurgePurge*

Gorton is sitting in a position of power. Maybe its better they haven't swung a move already? Dec 1 is the drop dead date for Trouba I believe. Tick tock!

Yea, by not swinging a move we've gained an advantage on all those teams who have swung a move.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
It must be super annoying when Pierre asks AV if he's kind of copying pittsburgh's style of playing Fast when it's pitt that copied our model the two previous seasons. Tampa went out and got 3 of our players just to copy it even more.

The kicker on that is if we do win the cup while having a fast team they'll still say we copied the previous cup champs to mold our team. A fast team.

TurgePurge*

We made a trade two trades ago!!! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. All this talk of patience patience patience. Relative to the rest of the league he has a quick trigger finger!!!

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The kicker on that is if we do win the cup while having a fast team they'll still say we copied the previous cup champs to mold our team. A fast team.

Rangers were the fastest team in the NHL the year they lost to Tampa. Plus they had no Zucc. That is like Tampa being without Kuch. Still were able to use the speed and go seven. This team's forward group is solid. One top four away. If he hits the home run with Trouba or Lindholm and the price is nothing more than say Skjei, Miller and a 1st/2nd I will take it. He helped build the Bruins foundation that eventually won a cup. I am confident and believe in him.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
An embarrassment of riches is a strong term. This team is still an injury or two away up front from some really serious issues.

The Rangers needto be careful here. For as long as I've been a fan, the knee-jerk reaction is to deal deal deal from a perceived position of power only to have it blow up in their faces. Give Gorton more time to find a cheap solution at RD. I'd like to enjoy this forward depth for a while.

I'm absolutely preaching patience right now. I'm fine with seeing how the defense performs with this group of forwards.

That said, we absolutely need a top-4 right handed defenseman who can skate and move the puck. Gorton seems to understand this, but he's looking at long term solutions rather than a stop gap, unlike Sather. Which is why I'm excited.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm absolutely preaching patience right now. I'm fine with seeing how the defense performs with this group of forwards.

That said, we absolutely need a top-4 right handed defenseman who can skate and move the puck. Gorton seems to understand this, but he's looking at long term solutions rather than a stop gap, unlike Sather. Which is why I'm excited.

Exactly . We all would love a RHD but patience is necessary here . Don't overpay like we have in the past. Gorton seems to be understanding long term ramifications of giving up good young assets and first round picks.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We made a trade two trades ago!!! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. All this talk of patience patience patience. Relative to the rest of the league he has a quick trigger finger!!!

He definitely made a mistake on the staal trade but most of his offseason moves were ones which would have no negative impact on the future

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

So long as we have health we have those riches. Don't forget how quickly an injury can change something. Embarrassment of riches at defense. Sauer, Staal, Girardi - chose to let Stalman walk because we figured it was choosing between two good options, etc.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
So long as we have health we have those riches. Don't forget how quickly an injury can change something. Embarrassment of riches at defense. Sauer, Staal, Girardi - chose to let Stalman walk because we figured it was choosing between two good options, etc.

You can't make personnel decisions based on potential injuries. Of course unpredictable things will happen, but you can't hang your hat on that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You can't make personnel decisions based on potential injuries. Of course unpredictable things will happen, but you can't hang your hat on that.

This X 10000000.

You can't let negative things that may happen this season influence a decision that will likely have positive results for the next 5 or more years. \\

It's never been just about this year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He definitely made a mistake on the staal trade but most of his offseason moves were ones which would have no negative impact on the future

I guess it's the type of mistake he made. Two 2s and a good prospect for a 30+ player on the decline that was a pending FA in a year that we weren't doing ****. If he traded for a 25 year old that never amounted to anything at least I could be on board with the thought process.

TurgePurge*

I guess it's the type of mistake he made. Two 2s and a good prospect for a 30+ player on the decline that was a pending FA in a year that we weren't doing ****. If he traded for a 25 year old that never amounted to anything at least I could be on board with the thought process.

The scrabble face inducing part was that every Canes game I watched on youtube to see what we were getting he looked like a slug. Just gross.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

They literally got eliminated from the playoffs by us effectively playing that style against them.

Why does nobody in the NHL media realize this? Their GM saw what we did to them and realized it was a good strategy. Hell, they went and got arguable our most effective player in that system in Hagelin.

I've heard people all over the off season, NHL network, TSN, NHL radio, podcasts all making out like the Penguins are the inventors of a speed system and have heard numerous places mention with how fast we look to start the season that clearly we're emulating their system. 2014 wasn't THAT long ago. Plus, then they mention "but IDK if the Rangers' defense is good enough to play that way." Um, Pittsburgh did it with Ian Cole and Ben Lovejoy playing prominent roles. Obviously with the right system and the right forwards, anything is possible.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

The Rangers need to be careful here. For as long as I've been a fan, the knee-jerk reaction is to deal deal deal from a perceived position of power only to have it blow up in their faces. Give Gorton more time to find a cheap solution at RD. I'd like to enjoy this forward depth for a while.

Agreed here. I wonder if a Lindberg+McIlrath package could get us something here.

I want Trouba badly, but if nothing can be worked out, maybe we can make a deal for a 4-5 D on another team who is youngish and poised for a breakout or needs a change of scenery?

It would be tremendous if we could somewhat fix the defense and also keep the top 9 intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad