Trade Rumors & Proposals Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
Fair enough...but IMO

I think our defense isn't nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be, I think it's more of a system related issue rather than personnel. I don't think swapping one dman out and bringing in another, is going to make a drastic difference. The fundamental issue of how this team plays goes beyond just replacing Alexei Emelin or Tom Gilbert.

I agree. Our defense was bad in the beginning of the year, when Emelin-Gilbert was our second pairing, but now our top 5 is pretty solid.

However, it's not too early to start planning the long term. We will need to replace Gonchar this summer, and gradually decrease Markov's role. Any D acquisition needs to be in that long term mindset, IMO. A signed player or a rental that we think we can sign, or else wait for July.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree. Our defense was bad in the beginning of the year, when Emelin-Gilbert was our second pairing, but now our top 5 is pretty solid.

However, it's not too early to start planning the long term. We will need to replace Gonchar this summer, and gradually decrease Markov's role. Any D acquisition needs to be in that long term mindset, IMO. A signed player or a rental that we think we can sign, or else wait for July.

That's my mindset as well...any Dman that MB targets should be a guy who fits in long term, or who has term left on his contract.

Any UFA-to-be Dman who might be available right now, I don't think is necessarily a drastic upgrade on the cast of characters we currently have

I mean, does acquiring a Andrej Sekera alone, help cut down shots against from the 32 per game that Price is facing now to 28?

Does Andrej Sekera eliminate 3 or 4 scoring chances more per game than who we already have right now?

I think the answer to that is no...

HabsDieHard*

It also mentions a rumor about Beaulieu and Eller for Yakupov and Petry. That'd be an interesting trade for sure....

If by interesting you mean it would make me consider slitting my wrists and bleeding out in the bath tub I think it's very interesting.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's my mindset as well...any Dman that MB targets should be a guy who fits in long term, or who has term left on his contract.

Any UFA-to-be Dman who might be available right now, I don't think is necessarily a drastic upgrade on the cast of characters we currently have

I mean, does acquiring a Andrej Sekera alone, help cut down shots against from the 32 per game that Price is facing now to 28?

Does Andrej Sekera eliminate 3 or 4 scoring chances more per game than who we already have right now?

I think adding a top 6 forward would have as much impact on scoring chances and shots than a d-man, the problem right now has more to do with having possession in the offensive zone as it is defending.

The Habs give up too many shots because they don't have enough sustained offensive pressure. I'm sure Emelin would look better if we didn't spend 30 minutes a game in the defensive zone.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
no rentals
go get a tough d man, and a top 6 forward

still say try for Eric Stall

To me Staal is a poor fit unless they think Galchenyuk will never be a top center.

-He's already past 30
-he has a no trade so he may not even be interested
-he would cost an arm and a leg
-he has a huge cap hit then would be a UFA in July 2016

Just a very poor fit for what the Habs need going forward.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I like Eller and all but if we can replace him with Vermette but only in off season. We want to win the cup each year, we don't need to find replacing solutions but rather an addition that would make us better. DD if traded is perfect since even in the playoffs he is kinda struggling. Eller was good in last playoffs, if in the off season we could get Vermette go for it. Im also liking eller but I think its time to move on.

As for the dman, yes we need a dman but I highly doubt we can acquire both a fwd and ad at deadline without costing alot. Trading Emelin would be a must. I mean if we could have made a trade to get a good dman we would have done it before like in the Gonchar timing. Now it would be a bit weird, all I am saying I expect one rental, not two.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I like Eller and all but if we can replace him with Vermette but only in off season. We want to win the cup each year, we don't need to find replacing solutions but rather an addition that would make us better. DD if traded is perfect since even in the playoffs he is kinda struggling. Eller was good in last playoffs, if in the off season we could get Vermette go for it. Im also liking eller but I think its time to move on.

As for the dman, yes we need a dman but I highly doubt we can acquire both a fwd and ad at deadline without costing alot. Trading Emelin would be a must. I mean if we could have made a trade to get a good dman we would have done it before like in the Gonchar timing. Now it would be a bit weird, all I am saying I expect one rental, not two.

I say we make a legit acquisition of a top 6 F and a shrewd D acquisition like Petry.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

would be insane to "replace" Eller with Vermette…

Put Eller into Vermette's situation right now, and his offensive output would be similar if not superior (top-line wingers/role, 1st unit PP duties).

right now, Vermette has only 5 more points ES than Eller, despite ~1min/game of ice time centering Phoenix's top line. the rest of his offensive production advantage comes thanks to 12pp points, which he racks up with ~3min/pp time per game.

eller, sent to Phx and playing the same role as Vermette, would likely be able to produce at a similar clip, i don't doubt that for a second.

yes, vermette is more polished defensively, but he's also older and his UFA price tag (in a very tin UFA market) is likely to be silly and FAR more than Eller's 3.5 cap hit for the next 3 years.

there is no circumstances that, in the offseason, replacing Eller with Vermette would make sense…

now, if MB decides he wants to go all-in for this year's playoff, and decides to make that kind of move in conjunction with other moves to bolster the team for the cup run, on the gamble that he'll be able to re-sign Vermette and go with a Galch-Pleks-Vermette trio down the middle next season… then so be it. gambling the future for short-term reward is not uncommon.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The big issue is that Vermette is 31 and is looking for a contract around 6 mil AAV, so putting him in the discussion with Eller who has a 3.5 mil AAV is not talking the same language.

In order to pay him close to that he'd have to be your #1 center.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The issue I have with a lot of these proposals and throwing names like JVR Yandle Staal, Yakupov and co out there is that people don't realize those players would cost core young players.

It's easy to say, let's find a permanent solution on the wing or whatever, but are you willing to trade Beaulieu, McCarron and a 1st for JVR? ...same goes for Yandle on Defense.

Plus guys like Yandle, ROR, Staal all have contracts that expire in 17 months, so you risk moving huge assets and then losing the player for nothing.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

I agree a Sekera type for sure won't drastically improve the defense. Better to get a forward then! But if you can bring a legit guy that can play 25+ min, that would drastically improve the defense. I know the defense is fine for now, but I just don't see it working out playing Markov and Gonchar as much as we do for 4 rounds. Maybe I'm wrong!

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
The issue I have with a lot of these proposals and throwing names like JVR Yandle Staal, Yakupov and co out there is that people don't realize those players would cost core young players.

It's easy to say, let's find a permanent solution on the wing or whatever, but are you willing to trade Beaulieu, McCarron and a 1st for JVR? ...same goes for Yandle on Defense.

Plus guys like Yandle, ROR, Staal all have contracts that expire in 17 months, so you risk moving huge assets and then losing the player for nothing.

Good point. My only concern is how long can we wait for the younger players to develop i.e. McCarron, Scherbak etc. moreover, nothing guarantees they will have a successful NHL career. Price is at his prime right now, how many more good seasons can he give us? I strongly believe the cup window is now.

Not saying Habs should sell their prospects for rentals, but an impact player with longer term on his contract for prospects will be more digestible.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

in the case of guys like JVR/Staal/Yandle, you're bang on… but that's the gamble GM's make when they go for a major roster upgrade via trade. All three of those guys would be big upgrades in the roles they'd slot into, so it's a matter of the risk/reward in moving the necessary young assets/picks to get them, and doing everything possible to negotiate the smallest amount of assets given up.

In Yakupov's case, he's only a viable trade option if the Oilers have reached the point of wanting to move on, and given their situation, prize more established assets over picks/prospects (which Mctavish has publicly stated) AND face a reality that the league-wide value on Yak is far below his draft pedigree.

Something around Emelin (1-for-1 or Oilers adding), or PaP or DD + depth or 2nd tier picks/prospects would definitely be worth the potential "reward" of Yak turning his game around in a better run organization (and one that features a friendly/familiar face).

i hope MB is in the game if/when Yak gets moved, but also wouldn't want him to be sending a Tinordi/McCarron the other way.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Good point. My only concern is how long can we wait for the younger players to develop i.e. McCarron, Scherbak etc. moreover, nothing guarantees they will have a successful NHL career. Price is at his prime right now, how many more good seasons can he give us? I strongly believe the cup window is now.

Not saying Habs should sell their prospects for rentals, but an impact player with longer term on his contract for prospects will be more digestible.

At least until Galchenyuk and Beaulieu reach their prime(22 and 24). I don't see MB going all in this year and probably not next year...after that, I see him being aggressive.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
To me Staal is a poor fit unless they think Galchenyuk will never be a top center.

-He's already past 30
-he has a no trade so he may not even be interested
-he would cost an arm and a leg
-he has a huge cap hit then would be a UFA in July 2016

Just a very poor fit for what the Habs need going forward.

ya, but the only other person that is mentioned all the time on this site, is yak

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I heard a rumor that LA had offered Zykov and Greene for Emelin but Montreal said no...for now...because of Greene's contract.

Greene has 3 more years at 2.5 mil and is playing under 16 minutes a night. He's been passed by guys like Muzzin Voynov Martinez the last few years.

Three more years after this one? Idk, Zykov could be a nice addition to our prospect pool. It would basically be swapping Emelin for Greene, while adding Zykov. Greene is cheaper at 2.5m than Emelin at 4.1, while both contrats would expire at the same time. Emelin has been pretty bad since returning from his injury.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
why not...

then replace Eller with Vermette and Voila!

Cuz #1 Petry sucks ass.. #2 when he's gone at the end of the season you just traded Eller & Beaulieu for a player who doesn't know what defense means. And #3 Vermette isn't gonna be cheap.

Bad plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad