Speculation: Trade Rumors I - Everyone Signs an Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytduxfan*

You should literally change your user name to sidestep.

:laugh:

Sorry, I don't just stare at charts. I watch the games and look at situations. If you're actually saying that Lindholm was better with Bieksa than Fowler was, than you're more biased than I realized.

You don't belong here. ;)

What I'm saying is we should move players that we can afford to move. That would be defensemen. We have too many, some have to go. That could be Fowler/Despres/Stoner/Bieksa, two of which could bring back a much needed forward.

Trading Cogs or Silf means we need to go out and find another forward to replace them.

Cogs is making 3 million right now, we trade him, now we have to find another cheap forward that could be as consistent as Cogs. Then we're still stuck with too many NHL ready defensemen.

You could trade both Cogs or a defensemen to save money, and get a forward back, but then you still need what 4-5 forwards to fill out the team? Now your dealing in a position of weakness.

There's just no logic behind trading Cogs or Silf. We should be adding forwards, not subtracting them.

Cogs isn't irreplaceable, but he was 50th in pts amongst LWs whilst being very defensively responsible. IMO, 3M is a bargain, especially when you consider that the players around Cogs are on 4-5M.

22 Jun
Kevin Weekes ✔ @KevinWeekes

Keep an eye on @AnaheimDucks potentially moving one of their good young D. Plenty of market interest esp on Fowler. @NHL @NHLNetwork

Mike Walters @MikePucks

@KevinWeekes I can confirm Fowler and Despres are being shopped per Ducks team source.

****!!!

Bozak 4.2
JVR 4.0
for
Fowler 4.0
Stoner 3.25

trade Cogs 3.1 for draft pick

Don't hate it. Isn't Despres being shopped, not Cogs?

Why is everyone so eager to trade cogliano? That's a terrible idea.

I don't get it either.

If you trade Cogliano and sign someone to a $1M contract, you save $2.1M. That's money we need to fill out our roster.

Losing Cogliano would suck, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has a better sulution.

Like who?

I'd start by moving Despres. I'd also look to move Bieksa, and I'd sweeten the pot by adding the 30th overall pick we just got from Toronto.

I'd try to hold on to Stoner for now, because while he's a bit overpaid, he's still a damn good 3rd pairing option. If we bring in Theodore, he's the guy I'd want playing with him.

This, do this.

The real "nhl 16" thinking is that we can dump stoner, depres, bieksa and keep Fowler and cogs and resign Perron Lindholm Pirri Rakell a backup goalie and a couple forwards.

No one wants these players.

Who has said this?

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
How does trading away bieksa with the 30th pick attached to it for a pick back not solve our problems? Granted were still going to be short a top 6 forward but we're always short a top 6 forward aren't we? Woes of a budget team

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
If Fowler and Despres are being shopped this means they try to prepare the roster for being competitive while modifying it for the expansion draft. Tough process if you ask me. And they likely think that they can not afford Cam. They need to protect him but will lose him due to our internal budget.

Quite interesting that Vatanen and Lindholm are rated higher than Cam.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If Fowler and Despres are being shopped this means they try to prepare the roster for being competitive while modifying it for the expansion draft. Tough process if you ask me. And they likely think that they can not afford Cam. They need to protect him but will lose him due to our internal budget.

Of course they are, they are better.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I'm not totally convinced Vegas would pick Cam in an expansion draft. He's obviously a great defenseman, but that's pretty risky to take a guy you're IMO likely to lose after just one season.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'm not totally convinced Vegas would pick Cam in an expansion draft. He's obviously a great defenseman, but that's pretty risky to take a guy you're IMO likely to lose after just one season.

In an expansion franchise, the simple thing would be to stock up the best players, and deal them at the deadline when you're inevitably out of the playoff race. Think of how many teams could have used a Fowler at this years deadline and the price they would have paid.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Vatanen may not be rated higher, and given the roles they have played with the team I'd actually be surprised if they felt Vatanen was the better player. He hasn't been better, except when Fowler has looked off his game, even with lesser responsibilities. People love to talk about his offensive game, but even in favorable situations he doesn't produce that much more, and he's decidedly worse defensively. However, Vatanen was an RFA, and was just locked up for 4 more years. They may feel Fowler will price himself out when his contract is up.

Lindholm isn't really a surprise.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Lindholm for sure but I thought Cam with Randy back is a safe bet to stay.

They are probably looking at the fact that they won't be able to keep him when his contract is up, and that this is the point to sell high on him. His disappointing playoff performance is probably not helping matters.

jeffl97

Dec 5, 2010
Just thinking out loud here guys. If we can maximize value for Fowler I think now is the time to trade him (especially if our GM is looking from a strictly financial standpoint). We can only protect three defenseman and it looks like two of them will be Lindholm/Vatanen. So pick one between Fowler/Despres/Manson.

Fowler - signed for 2 more seasons at 4M, but will require upgrade after that (6M+? probably not possible with lindholm/vatanen/getzlaf/perry/kesler contracts eating up around 37M)
Despres- signed cheaply for 2 more seasons and then 4.7 the two after that (along with another season at 3.4 at the end)
Manson - signed for one more season and then due for an upgrade.

The way I see it is Manson will be the least expensive of the three defenseman so he should be kept, as we would surely lose Fowler is we're not protecting him. Knowing this we trade Fowler for something like : (red wings fan suggested)

Tatar+Jurco+16OA
For
Fowler+4th rounder

We get a mid 1st to stock the prospects, and 2 roster players. Gamble that Jurco doesn't get picked up in expansion (Vegas can only take 10 players who are RFA's for 2017-2018 season). So we dished Fowler, kept Manson, and now Despres. Does he get claimed in expansion? Maybe/maybe not. If he does, that's not necessarily a bad thing because we have Theodore/Montour/Larsson who will want to take higher roles. Some of you guys have already given up on Despres with his multiple concussion problems. Hopefully with another season under his belt Theodore progresses enough to play in the top 4 with no problems. Now we have Lindholm/Vatanen/Theodore/Manson as a base.

By doing the Fowler trade we would have three 1st round picks, one of which we will probably have to use to rid ourselves of a bad contract (Bieksa).

Trade: (dump contract with incentive)
Bieksa+30th for lesser pick

After those two moves our roster is:

Rakell (2.5) - Getzlaf (9.25) - Perry (10)
Tatar (2.75) Kesler (7.875) Silfverberg (3)
Cogliano (3.1) - Thompson (1.7) - Garbutt (1.1)
Ritchie (.925) - Wagner (.625) - Jurco (.950)

Lindholm (5.5) - Manson (.825)
Despres (2.6) - Vatanen (5)
Theodore (.833) - Stoner (3.25)
Holzer (.850)

Gibson (1.5)
Backup (1.0)

Maroon (.500)
Fistric (.217)

Total: 65.850

I'd like to re-sign McGinn and Perron, but that's at about ~66M, and once you add in a few healthy scratch forwards it will be 1-2M more so I don't see a way to add them.

Protect candidates:

Tatar/Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler/Rakell/Silfverberg/x (maybe another traded player, or cogliano)

Lindholm/Vatanen/Manson

Gibson.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Just thinking out loud here guys. If we can maximize value for Fowler I think now is the time to trade him (especially if our GM is looking from a strictly financial standpoint). We can only protect three defenseman and it looks like two of them will be Lindholm/Vatanen. So pick one between Fowler/Despres/Manson.

Fowler - signed for 2 more seasons at 4M, but will require upgrade after that (6M+? probably not possible with lindholm/vatanen/getzlaf/perry/kesler contracts eating up around 37M)
Despres- signed cheaply for 2 more seasons and then 4.7 the two after that (along with another season at 3.4 at the end)
Manson - signed for one more season and then due for an upgrade.

The way I see it is Manson will be the least expensive of the three defenseman so he should be kept, as we would surely lose Fowler is we're not protecting him. Knowing this we trade Fowler for something like : (red wings fan suggested)

Tatar+Jurco+16OA
For
Fowler+4th rounder

We get a mid 1st to stock the prospects, and 2 roster players. Gamble that Jurco doesn't get picked up in expansion (Vegas can only take 10 players who are RFA's for 2017-2018 season). So we dished Fowler, kept Manson, and now Despres. Does he get claimed in expansion? Maybe/maybe not. If he does, that's not necessarily a bad thing because we have Theodore/Montour/Larsson who will want to take higher roles. Some of you guys have already given up on Despres with his multiple concussion problems. Hopefully with another season under his belt Theodore progresses enough to play in the top 4 with no problems. Now we have Lindholm/Vatanen/Theodore/Manson as a base.

By doing the Fowler trade we would have three 1st round picks, one of which we will probably have to use to rid ourselves of a bad contract (Bieksa).

Trade: (dump contract with incentive)
Bieksa+30th for lesser pick

After those two moves our roster is:

Rakell (2.5) - Getzlaf (9.25) - Perry (10)
Tatar (2.75) Kesler (7.875) Silfverberg (3)
Cogliano (3.1) - Thompson (1.7) - Garbutt (1.1)
Ritchie (.925) - Wagner (.625) - Jurco (.950)

Lindholm (5.5) - Manson (.825)
Despres (2.6) - Vatanen (5)
Theodore (.833) - Stoner (3.25)
Holzer (.850)

Gibson (1.5)
Backup (1.0)

Maroon (.500)
Fistric (.217)

Total: 65.850

I'd like to re-sign McGinn and Perron, but that's at about ~66M, and once you add in a few healthy scratch forwards it will be 1-2M more so I don't see a way to add them.

Protect candidates:

Tatar/Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler/Rakell/Silfverberg/x (maybe another traded player, or cogliano)

Lindholm/Vatanen/Manson

Gibson.

I like that trade with Deroit as well. I would much rather have Pulkkinen attached though. Both are about the same level prospect, but Pulkkinen has produced more.

jeffl97

Dec 5, 2010
I like that trade with Deroit as well. I would much rather have Pulkkinen attached though. Both are about the same level prospect, but Pulkkinen has produced more.

Only reason I chose Jurco instead is the handedness, and contract status for 2017-2018. Probably a stupid reason but I felt we had enough right-handed players. :laugh: I guess it wouldn't really matter to me if we grabbed Pulkkinen instead though.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
In an expansion franchise, the simple thing would be to stock up the best players, and deal them at the deadline when you're inevitably out of the playoff race. Think of how many teams could have used a Fowler at this years deadline and the price they would have paid.

They'd probably be best off trading him right away if they did that. His value would be higher and they wouldn't be gambling on the rental market. Looking at what other teams have to protect, now that's probably what I would do, as they're going to end up with a very hugh quality defense and simultaneously too many guys.

Or, there's a deal to be made there. But, we'd have to wait a year to see what kind of shape we and everyone else is in.

hooper2

Aug 25, 2005
Ducks will get $16.66M from LV expansion fee. Could the ownership spend more taking that money into consideration?

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Don't we stand to get a fairly big chunk of the half a billion dollar expansion fee? Would this money help us spend an extra 5-6 million for a year or two to really go for it?

Edit: Someone beat me to it

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
How does trading away bieksa with the 30th pick attached to it for a pick back not solve our problems? Granted were still going to be short a top 6 forward but we're always short a top 6 forward aren't we? Woes of a budget team

If only we have better at drafting and developing forwards we are not that good at it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Of course they are, they are better.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that Fowler is guaranteed to only be the guy he was at the end of the year, not the start. You're acting as if 24 is the point at which US born defensemen stop developing, and that only Finns and Swedes and Canadians are guaranteed to improve every year until they retire.

It's a control issue, and a budget issue, and a return on a trade issue.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ducks will get $16.66M from LV expansion fee. Could the ownership spend more taking that money into consideration?

I'd like to think so, especially with the Cup window that Anaheim has. I'm just not sure they'd look at it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad