Status
Not open for further replies.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Roman Numerals

How do they work?

Also, I've genuinely grown to dislike HFSabres over the last 2-3 seasons. First they spammed us with trash tier proposals for Fowler and now they obviously are going to throw 8+ millions at Lindholm.

Oct 18, 2011
vatanen impact is being very underrated, every time he was out last year there was a noticeable difference in the ducks defense, if you held a gun to my head i'd probably keep him over fowler if the money is about the same but really we should not have to choose, this is about bob murray tying up alot of money in two no.7 dmen and it's going to hurt this team immensely this summer

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
vatanen impact is being very underrated, every time he was out last year there was a noticeable difference in the ducks defense, if you held a gun to my head i'd probably keep him over fowler if the money is about the same but really we should not have to choose, this is about bob murray tying up alot of money in two no.7 dmen and it's going to hurt this team immensely this summer

It's also about the owners not wanting to spend to the cap. If they did, we would not be in this situation.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

agreed with bolded

paine

Jun 4, 2007
If the cap is as low as they're saying it could be, the budget likely wouldn't be all that much lower.

Projected cap of ~$73M. Last year our budget was ~$65M, and it's expected to go up a little. We will still be $5M or $6M below the cap.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Projected cap of ~$73M. Last year our budget was ~$65M, and it's expected to go up a little. We will still be $5M or $6M below the cap.

Didn't I read yesterday that the cap could be as low as $69M-71M?

So a hampus Lindholm below

Lately I've been finding myself explaining the Ducks budget situation to my buddies who are fans of Canadian and other teams, probably because of the report from McKenzie and the earlier one from Friedman. Any way the point you make above is basically the same conclusion they all end up arriving at -

"so you guys pretty much have to settle for having one less star player than all the other top teams".

Obviously it's not a perfect science but they are more or less right, that extra $5M+ less that we spend is basically the equivalent of one more star player we could have. It's a tough pill swallow, especially when you lose a one goal game 7 and were only a big play or two short of winning (and therefore earning at least two more home playoff games to help pay for such a player).

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Obviously it's not a perfect science but they are more or less right, that extra $5M+ less that we spend is basically the equivalent of one more star player we could have. It's a tough pill swallow, especially when you lose a one goal game 7 and were only a big play or two short of winning (and therefore earning at least two more home playoff games to help pay for such a player).

The sad thing is BM will probably use that $5M for a bunch of Chris Stewart's.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Of course it looked better with him on the ice, he's a top 4 OFD that got prime offensive minutes and sheltered defensive ones. Remember when he took over Fowler's role when Cam got hurt? Vatanen had 3 points in 13 games and was hemmed in his own zone for most of it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Yes, it was estimated at 69 something if the PA does not exercise their escalation option. Only once has the PA not opted to escalate. So most people think they will again which then gets it back up to the 72 something range I believe.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think Freidman said if the players don't vote for the increase, it will be 69.5. However, they always vote for it due to pressure from the free agents. Therefore, it will be around 73 million most likely.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In the last thread I brought up Brassard and the difference between his salary and cap hit. There was a bit of confusion on this, but apparently he gets a big bonus on July 1st, so anyone trading for him after that date would only be on the hook for three years at a $3.5M salary vs a 5M cap hit. Makes him a prime target in my books.

Bernier is in the same boat, he gets half his salary in bonus on July 1st so anyone trading for him after that would only be on the hook for the other half. That would make him a much more likely back up / 1B option for us if we move a goalie than he would be otherwise.

I think Freidman said if the players don't vote for the increase, it will be 69.5. However, they always vote for it due to pressure from the free agents. Therefore, it will be around 73 million most likely.

Gotcha, thanks

Oct 18, 2011
Of course it looked better with him on the ice, he's a top 4 OFD that got prime offensive minutes and sheltered defensive ones. Remember when he took over Fowler's role when Cam got hurt? Vatanen had 3 points in 13 games and was hemmed in his own zone for most of it.

that's a small sample size in the grand scheme, vatanen has periods where he goes hot and cold

Oct 18, 2011
didn't say they did. Just added on to what you were saying, the owners not willing to spend to the cap has handicapped this team and made it very hard to compete to cap teams.
yeah but if the money was allocated poorly it wouldn't really matter

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Pretty much.

Budget isn't ideal and I'd much rather see the team spend to the cap. However I see some of the contracts BM handing out to average players (at best) far more of an issue then the budget itself. Could you imagine if he didn't get rid of Hagelin? We'd have 12m tied up in two 3rd pairing defencemen and a 2nd/3rd line tweener forward. That's just terrible budget/cap management from a GM of a budget team (when it's an even more important factor).

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Pretty much.

Budget isn't ideal and I'd much rather see the team spend to the cap. However I see some of the contracts BM handing out to average players (at best) far more of an issue then the budget itself. Could you imagine if he didn't get rid of Hagelin? We'd have 12m tied up in two 3rd pairing defencemen and a 2nd/3rd line tweener forward. That's just terrible budget/cap management from a GM of a budget team (when it's an even more important factor).

This.

Don't get me wrong, the budget hurts, but I don't think it would make us that much better based on how Murray operates. He has tendencies that don't seem only budget related.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
Last year BM signed Horcoff, Santorelli, and Stewart. What dumpster diving does he do this offseason? You know he will.

Eaves? Matthias?

I think Eaves is the typical BM signing. 1-year, $1.5M or something.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Last year BM signed Horcoff, Santorelli, and Stewart. What dumpster diving does he do this offseason? You know he will.

Eaves? Matthias?

Penner/Heatley

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Eaves? Matthias?

It wouldn't be an offseason in Anaheim without a couple of bargain bin UFAs, would it?

Good call on Eaves. Bob has been collecting these 2014 Dallas guys (Robidas, Horcoff, Garbutt), Eaves could easily be next on the list. Getting Vernon Fiddler wouldn't surprise me either.

Depending on the Perron situation, I think we'll get at least 1-2 UFA forwards off the market, maybe a goalie too. Fortunately for us, there are plenty of options available, and some of them are actually fairly decent. In no particular order:

• Eric Staal
  • Radim Vrbata
  • Teddy Purcell
  • Jiri Hudler
  • Troy Brouwer
  • Shawn Matthias
  • Lee Stempniak

Of course, I'd prefer to sign all our RFAs, drop Bieksa + Stoner and sign Perron, Frans Nielsen and Kyle Okposo, but the budget says we'll just have to take what we can get.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I would not be surprised to see Vrbara land here, I didnt catch any Canucks games last season but he doesnt seem like a player we would want in our bottom 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad