Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It's set up for us to trade him after 3 years, so he'd be 32 when we're done with him. I can't say I'm too worried about that. No. We've become too used to 20 year olds. Players don't magically turn to garbage at 30

He follows HF logic of players over 25 are declining worthless assets, and that if a player once scores 30 goals/70 points he is automatically a elite player for his entire career as he "could" possibly do it again. Had he watched Eberle last season he could tell that we are actually lucky to get Strome and not retain salary. People do realize that had it not been for some last game heroics Eberle wouldn't have even hit 20 goals? With ample time to succeed on Mcdavids wing? And that he was also a negative add in the playoffs showing no signs of "clutch". Whether it's a change of scenery or not Eberle had nothing left to give here and that was evident last season.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Sorry to burst this bubble, but our second line performed quite well last season. Eberle's points put him in top30 RW status for points, Lucic was on the high end for a second line LW and Nuge was bottom level 2C/very high 3C (63 OV for centers). All combined, it was actually a fairly good second line. I'm not arguing that it seemed like they got better in the last bit, so maybe they will continue on that trajectory (though the second line is going to be a bit different than last year, so it will be hard to track that type of thing).

We had one of the best, if not the best, first lines last year, and a very good second line (probably top half were I to guess without looking up the stats). Room to grow, but I just hate hearing people say our secondary scoring was lacking when it really wasn't.

Eberle and Lucic had their numbers boosted by starting the season with McDavid. Lucic also cashed in on McDavid power play time.
As a second line their production sucked.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle and Lucic had their numbers boosted by starting the season with McDavid. Lucic also cashed in on McDavid power play time.
As a second line their production sucked.

This whole thing about not including players' PP points is just ridiculous, unless they counted for less. Lucic will very likely get PP time with McDavid again, so why should we discount that? And also, if they were playing well with McDavid, they would have stayed with him. They weren't, so things were shaken up.

And I was actually wrong. Lucic's 50 points had him solidly in the top 30 LWs last year. So from our "******" second line, we had two top 30 players in their position, plus RNH at 63.

Unless you want to remove all players' PP points and then compare from there, this is a useless exercise. Plenty of players benefit from a) playing on the PP and b) playing with better players on the PP.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
They were subpar most of the season, it was a chore to watch them on most nights.
Their stats were padded by a late season charge (good timing though) and the meaningless Vancouver game to end the season. I'm sure even RNH and Eberle themselves would admit that they had a down year. Sorry but I don't know how anybody who watched most Oiler games last season could think that the 2nd line was quite good.

The 3rd line was a disaster as well as they were experimenting with Cagguila at center and Pouliot who was a complete no show.

The team was carried by McDavid, Draisaitl, a much more solid defense and a top 5 goalie. The rest of the team was quite lacking outside of Letestu on the PP and Kassian.

A couple games didn't change them from being **** players to being top 30 players in their positions. Yeah, they were quiet and not super impactful in a lot of games. But that's what the top line is for, while the second like is to be the secondary scoring. Which they provided. No team is going to have three lines that are super impactful night in and night out. I know that's the dream, but it's a very hopeless and silly dream.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we are splitting Drai and McDavid we dont really need to worry about depth.

Ideally we give RNH and Drai their own lines and see what they can do against 2nd and 3rd pairing Dmen. We know who McDavid will be drawing even if he has Maroon and Kassian on his wing.

Puljujarvi will be the biggest wild card this year. If he can replace Eberle's effectiveness then we are laughing.

The way I see it: Puljujarvi replaces Eberle, Strome > Pouliot, Jokinen>Hendricks

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Proposal:

To ARI: RNH
To EDM: Duclair (RFA, issues in ARI, LW) + D.Strome(McD and R.Strome connection)

Oilers take a step back but this would be good in a year.

Duclair plays bottom 6 role this year but eventually replaces Maroon down the road.
Strome-Strome play on the 3rd line... They can decide among themselves who plays C.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dylan Strome was 3rd overall behind McDavid and Eichel. He has substantial value.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some of these answers will be truth, others speculation, but the deal certainly makes sense.

1) Cap savings

That mostly went to Russel and Kassian. Not to mention that Strome is an RFA... So there's not really much savings here.
2) Strome offers more size and versatility.

That's what we hope for, though what Isles fans have said is a bit worrying.

3) 0 goals in playoffs

Yes he didn't have the best playoffs but if you're basing everything on one playoffs then Letestu is better than or equal to every forward except Draisatl. RNH also went o-fer.

4) Perhaps still has losing culture in him and Todd thinks he needs a change of scenery?

Maybe, but then RNH should be out the door too.

5) Maybe Chia has a real good feeling on Strome like he did with Maroon and Larsson.

Or Reinhart? I don't think our GM should be dealing with Snow anymore or anyone in the Islanders for that matter. We haven't had a good deal with them since.... well, ever?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Proposal:

To EDM: Duclair (RFA, issues in ARI, LW) + D.Strome(McD and R.Strome connection)

Duclair plays bottom 6 role this year but eventually replaces Maroon down the road.
Strome-Strome play on the 3rd line... They can decide among themselves who plays C.

Well you could do that, then sign Jagr, Stafford or Hudler to a 1 year deal to fill in until the younger players are ready.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dylan Strome was 3rd overall behind McDavid and Eichel. He has substantial value.
Strome isnt anything like McD or Eichel in terms of value. He is a very valuable prospect but that is what he is.. a prospect.. similar in value to Puljujarvi, Dubois and Drouin. He was a 19\20yr old playing OHL hockey.

That mostly went to Russel and Kassian. Not to mention that Strome is an RFA... So there's not really much savings here.

That's what we hope for, though what Isles fans have said is a bit worrying.

Yes he didn't have the best playoffs but if you're basing everything on one playoffs then Letestu is better than or equal to every forward except Draisatl. RNH also went o-fer.

Maybe, but then RNH should be out the door too.

Or Reinhart? I don't think our GM should be dealing with Snow anymore or anyone in the Islanders for that matter. We haven't had a good deal with them since.... well, ever?
What did ANA fans say about Maroon when we got him? Reinhart really isnt a good comparable. Strome has looked good in NHL at times where GR never really cracked the NHL. Strome is RFA but will not be commanding 6M so there certainly is some cap savings. By some I mean 2m+ per yr.

Kassian got a 450K raise and Russell got a 900K raise. One can say replacing Hendricks with Khaira covered the raises for both these players.

PS> RNH is pretty much out the door as soon as Draisaitl and\or Strome show they can handle playing C.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Proposal:

Arizona won't trade Strome. He just had a similar Jr season to Draisaitk's last Jr season. He also showed that he can do it without Mcdavid.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What did ANA fans say about Maroon when we got him? Reinhart really isnt a good comparable. Strome has looked good in NHL at times where GR never really cracked the NHL. Strome is RFA but will not be commanding 6M so there certainly is some cap savings. By some I mean 2m+ per yr.

Kassian got a 450K raise and Russell got a 900K raise. One can say replacing Hendricks with Khaira covered the raises for both these players.

PS> RNH is pretty much out the door as soon as Draisaitl and\or Strome show they can handle playing C.

Most fans here loved Maroon when he was brought in, unfortunately he's also going to command a payday when his contract is up...

The raises are minimal until they extend past the point of Eberle's contract, and then there are no savings. Eventually all these termed contracts are going to really put the cap squeeze on.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
NO need to trade Nuge for at least a year so let's just move on to other items. How about Iginla on a cheap one year deal?

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
NO need to trade Nuge for at least a year so let's just move on to other items. How about Iginla on a cheap one year deal?

I agree, I don't see RNH moving this year. Hopefully he can have a good offensive season to give us some better trading options next season.

As for other moves, I don't see much of anything happening until Draisaitl's contract is taken care of.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey folks,

Wondering if you guys have any interest in Markov,

He is by far the best UFA avail. and I am still really hoping the Habs sign him. I was trying to look at rosters/cap around the league and was wondering if the oilers could find a fit for him?

IMO he is a very solid 2B or 3A defender.

I'd think that we'd be interested under the right circumstances, but we must re-sign Draisaitl first to see what our cap projections look like for this year and next and then after that we'd need Markov to take less than his asking price of $6 million X 2 years.

As it stands when our team is healthy we have 6 solid NHL D, 7 if Auvitu steps his game up.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
This whole thing about not including players' PP points is just ridiculous, unless they counted for less. Lucic will very likely get PP time with McDavid again, so why should we discount that? And also, if they were playing well with McDavid, they would have stayed with him. They weren't, so things were shaken up.

And I was actually wrong. Lucic's 50 points had him solidly in the top 30 LWs last year. So from our "******" second line, we had two top 30 players in their position, plus RNH at 63.

Unless you want to remove all players' PP points and then compare from there, this is a useless exercise. Plenty of players benefit from a) playing on the PP and b) playing with better players on the PP.
Lucic's big body on the PP contributed a lot to its success as well, regardless of whether or not he was showing up on the scoresheet. Its gotta be the most underappreciated position in hockey - the guy in front of the net on the PP. He's a constant target for pucks and slashes etc, yet doesnt always get points on the PP goals that he contributes to.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Most fans here loved Maroon when he was brought in, unfortunately he's also going to command a payday when his contract is up...

The raises are minimal until they extend past the point of Eberle's contract, and then there are no savings. Eventually all these termed contracts are going to really put the cap squeeze on.

In what world can you defend Eberle and his contract remaining on the Oilers based on last seasons production, then go on to say that raises on productive players like Maroon aren't savings? I'll pay for players that positively contribute more then Eberle for his 6M ev
ery day of the week.

For example let's play the offensive production Vs Cap

Eberle 6M just over 50 points in 82 games. As I said before last game heroics against a done Vancouver team obviously helped but nonetheless

Strome 30 points in 69 games, let's pro rate and say he would have gotten 5 more in 13 more games, so 35 points in 82games

So that's an extra 15 points for and extra 3.5M? And that's a player that didn't ride shotgun with Mcdavid for a large chunk of the season. Also if we take away take away Eberle showing up for the final 5 games of the season and that's more like 3.5M for 10 points?

Eberle went what 22-23 straight games without a goal last season and you want defend paying 6M for that production? And to boot he's not defensively responsible or gritty in the slightest?

As I stated before Eberle could rebound with a change of scenery. But he's not elite offensive forward on this team anymore. Would much rather give that 3.5M to Jokinen/Drai this year, and guys like Maroon who outscore Eberle and add positive elements to the lineup after this year.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
In what world can you defend Eberle and his contract remaining on the Oilers based on last seasons production, then go on to say that raises on productive players like Maroon aren't savings? I'll pay for players that positively contribute more then Eberle for his 6M ev
ery day of the week.

For example let's play the offensive production Vs Cap

Eberle 6M just over 50 points in 82 games. As I said before last game heroics against a done Vancouver team obviously helped but nonetheless

Strome 30 points in 69 games, let's pro rate and say he would have gotten 5 more in 13 more games, so 35 points in 82games

So that's an extra 15 points for and extra 3.5M? And that's a player that didn't ride shotgun with Mcdavid for a large chunk of the season. Also if we take away take away Eberle showing up for the final 5 games of the season and that's more like 3.5M for 10 points?

Eberle went what 22-23 straight games without a goal last season and you want defend paying 6M for that production? And to boot he's not defensively responsible or gritty in the slightest?

As I stated before Eberle could rebound with a change of scenery. But he's not elite offensive forward on this team anymore. Would much rather give that 3.5M to Jokinen/Drai this year, and guys like Maroon who outscore Eberle and add positive elements to the lineup after this year.

*hand clap *

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Arizona won't trade Strome. He just had a similar Jr season to Draisaitk's last Jr season. He also showed that he can do it without Mcdavid.

Leon's last Jr season was draft+1 season. Strome's last season was his draft +2 season. Imagine Draisaitl going back after his last Jr season for another year..

Drai is not a comparable... Puljujarvi is.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Leon's last Jr season was draft+1 season. Strome's last season was his draft +2 season. Imagine Draisaitl going back after his last Jr season for another year..

Drai is not a comparable... Puljujarvi is.

How so?

Pulju isn't playing Junior... And he was drafted last year, this upcoming year is his draft +2, and he may well be in the NHL.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Except they got a significant number of those points on the first line with McDavid.
I'm surprised this is even a conversation. I didn't think anyone would believe the second line was good last year.
If you think they were, more power to you.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Lucic's big body on the PP contributed a lot to its success as well, regardless of whether or not he was showing up on the scoresheet. Its gotta be the most underappreciated position in hockey - the guy in front of the net on the PP. He's a constant target for pucks and slashes etc, yet doesnt always get points on the PP goals that he contributes to.

Yep, the big man was outstanding in that role. Kudos where they're due.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
He is good but he wants term. If he wanted 1yr x 6M Oilers could have used him. Oilers just cant afford a big contract with Draisaitl and McDavid getting their raises.

Oilers already have Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Russell as LHS Dmen. 3 of them are signed long term and Nurse the 4th.

Agreed, would love Markov as a one year stopgap and to fill in for Sekera on the second pair and hes a much better PP player than Sekera too. But would not offer him more than 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad