Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I hope you feel this way about Hall as well. ;) Because he went to sleep for half a season and he's still some kinda hero around here for whatever reason.

Look at our winger depth and try not to freak out too much about it. It's not very good. Our forward depth as a whole is not very good.

That really wasn't my point, but like Eberle, Hall was simply not part of the plan. To say either got traded because the fans wanted them out is a complete fabrication.

However, there was a difference between the Ebs and Hall trade; the Hall trade was done to acquire a vital piece. The Eberle trade was done to shed dead weight off of our team.

I remember you saying last offseason that the oilers wouldn't make playoffs. Maybe let's wait a little bit... you might be proven wrong again.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That really wasn't my point, but like Eberle, Hall was simply not part of the plan. To say either got traded because the fans wanted them out is a complete fabrication.

However, there was a difference between the Ebs and Hall trade; the Hall trade was done to acquire a vital piece. The Eberle trade was done to shed dead weight off of our team.

I remember you saying last offseason that the oilers wouldn't make playoffs. Maybe let's wait a little bit... you might be proven wrong again.

The bolded is correct, which makes the trade all the more unnecessary. I appreciated the Hall trade because it addressed a need. The Eberle trade was made because... Well, I don't know.

And I was hardly alone in believing the Oilers wouldn't make the playoffs last year. And the playoffs next year are by no means a sure thing. And if I'm being perfectly candid, anything less than a second round appearance next year shouldn't be accepted.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Strome becomes a great 3C for us I'd argue it is a very similar to the Hall deal, but on a smaller scale

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
In a league with a cap the sucky contract is of paramount importance.

Lots of people will need raises next year. Decisions will have to be made on Maroon/Caggs/Slepy/Nurse/Benning/Brossoit. Keeping Nuge costs one or two of those players that the Oilers could keep otherwise.

I think Nuge is worth more than 2 of those players. Besides Maroon, they are all essentially homegrown bottom 6/bottom pair players. And Maroon is really a product of McDavid more than anything, though there is something to be said for chemistry. I mean, if my choice is Brossoit + Slepyshev vs RNH, I take RNH every day of the week.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The bolded is correct, which makes the trade all the more unnecessary. I appreciated the Hall trade because it addressed a need. The Eberle trade was made because... Well, I don't know.

it's called cap savings..why play a player 6 million when someone making 2.5 million (Strome) can likely score just as much

his 0 playoff goals sealed his fate IMO

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Eberle was a decent player... Strome at half the cost will be good as well.

It's a cap world and on a team where 2 players cost >$20 million you've got to spend carefully.

That's why Nuge is on the hit list now as well... if he can't be better then he pretty much has to be moved (if he can be traded) as you can't afford those types of contracts on a tight cap team.

My hunch/speculation is that Strome will be better than some give him credit for as well. I think he's at least as good as Eberle defensively... and offensively although he had a down year last season... I don't think it's out of the question he can't approach 50 pts again. I'd say 40+ pts from Strome + the cap savings would make that trade look pretty decent... no matter what Eberle does with the Isles.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'd like to trade Yakimov rights while there is still little value there. Add a little something to a team who is more Russian infused.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
With Jokinen being the Pouliot replacement and Strome being the Eberle replacement I think that's pretty much a saw off overall.

I also think Auvitu has the potential to be a little bit of a steal but of course we'll have to wait and see.

I also think Stanton is a better player than Gryba... which means that with Auvitu+Stanton available and with Sekera coming back after a few months... the team defensively could very well be better than last season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd like to trade Yakimov rights while there is still little value there. Add a little something to a team who is more Russian infused.

Like a 2041 7th rounder?

Hartikanen got us pretty much nothing and the guy showed he had some value in the NHL. Yakimov did very little in the AHL and hasn't done much in the KHL. Don't see teams giving much of anything for him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
it's called cap savings..why play a player 6 million when someone making 2.5 million (Strome) can likely score just as much

his 0 playoff goals sealed his fate IMO

Cap savings for WHAT though? What's the point of saving cap space if you aren't going to use it. The fact that the majority of it went to Russell for 2 years further than the end of Eberle's contract makes me question exactly what savings were made. These contracts start to add up after awhile and we shouldn't be giving long term deals to players of Russell's and Lucic's caliber, especially when the Oilers haven't accomplished anything yet.

If I were Chiarelli I'd be looking at more bargin bin pickups. Surely Jagr could be had for a song. Hell, Oduya just went to the Sens for just over a mil. Never mind the team's inability to win a faceoff this year... That needs to be addressed or Anaheim will steamroll us again in that department when we inevitably face off against them down the road.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree with the bargain bin pickup strategy as well.

Streit or Franson for peanuts would both be good shots to help with a little offense from the blueline.

Adding Winnik for peanuts would be a pretty solid move as well.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Cap savings for WHAT though? What's the point of saving cap space if you aren't going to use it. The fact that the majority of it went to Russell for 2 years further than the end of Eberle's contract makes me question exactly what savings were made. These contracts start to add up after awhile and we shouldn't be giving long term deals to players of Russell's and Lucic's caliber, especially when the Oilers haven't accomplished anything yet.
rookie bonuses, deadline acquisitions, paying Drai 8mill/year for starters

and you bring up Russell and Lucic which are horrible examples...both were UFA signings so you are always going to overpay for them...plus its obvious that management and coaching love these two players and consider them a part of the core, despite what the analytics nerds think
people wanted Marleau here...imagine the outrage if we signed him to what the Leafs did.

If I were Chiarelli I'd be looking at more bargin bin pickups.Surely Jagr could be had for a song. Hell, Oduya just went to the Sens for just over a mil. Never mind the team's inability to win a faceoff this year... That needs to be addressed or Anaheim will steamroll us again in that department when we inevitably face off against them down the road.

and maybe Jagr doesn't want to come to Edmonton...plus Jokinen is a better, more valuable player than Jagr IMO and he's a bargain

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Like a 2041 7th rounder?

Hartikanen got us pretty much nothing and the guy showed he had some value in the NHL. Yakimov did very little in the AHL and hasn't done much in the KHL. Don't see teams giving much of anything for him.

I mean we add a draft pick or prospect + Yakimov just to get him off our hands.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

It's not like he's taking up a contract spot or anything. I'd rather they keep him on the off chance his skating develops and he wants to come back across the pond.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With Jokinen being the Pouliot replacement and Strome being the Eberle replacement I think that's pretty much a saw off overall.

I also think Auvitu has the potential to be a little bit of a steal but of course we'll have to wait and see.

I also think Stanton is a better player than Gryba... which means that with Auvitu+Stanton available and with Sekera coming back after a few months... the team defensively could very well be better than last season.

but... but... who replaces Desharnais?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

I don't think there's a pressing need to dump his rights... why would the Oilers do that type of trade?

He plays overseas and they retain his rights... it's basically a non-issue as he isn't even counted as a player on the 50 player contract list.

He takes up a spot on the 90 player reserve list but I doubt there's much of an issue there either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
rookie bonuses, deadline acquisitions, paying Drai 8mill/year for starters

and you bring up Russell and Lucic which are horrible examples...both were UFA signings so you are always going to overpay for them...plus its obvious that management and coaching love these two players and consider them a part of the core, despite what the analytics nerds think
people wanted Marleau here...imagine the outrage if we signed him to what the Leafs did.

and maybe Jagr doesn't want to come to Edmonton...plus Jokinen is a better, more valuable player than Jagr IMO and he's a bargain

I actually don't have an issue with Lucic's $, or Russell's for that matter. It's the term that bothers me. You couldn't bring either of those guys down by a couple years? I mean Lucic wasn't exactly stellar this year.... And then there's the NTCs/NMCs but enough has been said on that.

The Leafs can afford to pay Marleau and there is no way I'd pay that but then I look at what Shattenkirk got with the Rangers... Yes he wasn't going to come here but it's a perfectly reasonable deal that ends when he's 32. You can shorten their terms even if you have to pay a little more.

I don't want our GM to hand out lengthy deals to middling players when the Oilers haven't won a cup yet. Unfortunately the Sekera injury forced his hand on the Russell deal but I'm sure something could've been done to shorten the term.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I actually don't have an issue with Lucic's $, or Russell's for that matter. It's the term that bothers me. You couldn't bring either of those guys down by a couple years? I mean Lucic wasn't exactly stellar this year.... And then there's the NTCs/NMCs but enough has been said on that.

The Leafs can afford to pay Marleau and there is no way I'd pay that but then I look at what Shattenkirk got with the Rangers... Yes he wasn't going to come here but it's a perfectly reasonable deal that ends when he's 32. You can shorten their terms even if you have to pay a little more.

I don't want our GM to hand out lengthy deals to middling players when the Oilers haven't won a cup yet. Unfortunately the Sekera injury forced his hand on the Russell deal but I'm sure something could've been done to shorten the term.

Lucic is an L.A. King in all likelihood if Chia doesn't offer the extra term, such is life in free agency. I don't like the term on the Russell deal either but they really need him (wasn't a lot of options out there) so again, such is life in free agency. I probably prefer Russell (even with the contract) plus the 2018 1st and 2nd rounder to Hamonic.

The Eberle trade was made for two reasons, because he wasn't a fit on the team anymore (looked really out of place last season) and I'm sure Chia prefers the cheaper, more versatile Strome.
They needed this because the middle 2 lines last season were a one trick pony. Now with Strome and Jokinen, this affords Mclellan a lot more lineup flexbility. They now have 5 players in their top 9 who can move around from center to wing, that's really important when adjusting to different matchups and in case of injury.

This also freed up enough space to leave enough cushion to be able to pay potential bonuses/Drai contract. I'm not over the moon about the trade but I can understand why it was done and in a way, I'm relieved that we don't have to watch Eberle struggle through games anymore. It was time to move on for him and team.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I agree with the bargain bin pickup strategy as well.

Streit or Franson for peanuts would both be good shots to help with a little offense from the blueline.

Adding Winnik for peanuts would be a pretty solid move as well.

We already added Jokinen for peanuts.. we need to allow our young forwards to take a step. Guys like Winnik aren't needed. Streit or Franson I agree with.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We already added Jokinen for peanuts.. we need to allow our young forwards to take a step. Guys like Winnik aren't needed. Streit or Franson I agree with.

You also need depth in the case of inevitable injury. Adding more forwards only insures us more in case Slepyshev or Cagguila get hurt or don't take a step forward.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It didn't take long for RNH to take up the scapegoat mantle in Eberle's absence.

I've been on Nuge's case for years. Has nothing to do with anyone else on the team being here or not.

Eberle was moved because the fans wanted to see him gone. If the plan was to move Eberle and give that cap space to Russell... That's not good cap management.

Just stating something as if its a fact doesn't make it true. There were probably a handful of reasons Eberle was traded. Because the fans wanted it almost certainly wasn't one of them. Chia has very clearly demonstrated that he's making moves because he thinks it will improve the team. Not because he's trying to appease fans. Just look at the Hall and Seguin deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad