Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Bigfoot/Jagr Sighting in Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Streit is on his way out though. At 39, unless he is in a severely sheltered role he's probably gonna bleed chances and ultimately goals against.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Someone explain the fascination/love for Justin Faulk to me, because I really don't get it and never have. I've always seen him as a bigger Barrie, but Carolina fans seem to think only Draisaitl could get him from our team.

He's not good defensively. He's good offensively, but not elite. He's not physical, and doesn't do an overly great job of defending the blue line. He's a career -83. He's cheap I guess with three years left at 4.83, but contracts run out and then he won't be cheap anymore.

He scores a lot? Is that it? Seriously, someone explain to me how this guy is worth Draisaitl.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Someone explain the fascination/love for Justin Faulk to me, because I really don't get it and never have. I've always seen him as a bigger Barrie, but Carolina fans seem to think only Draisaitl could get him from our team.

He's not good defensively. He's good offensively, but not elite. He's not physical, and doesn't do an overly great job of defending the blue line. He's a career -83. He's cheap I guess with three years left at 4.83, but contracts run out and then he won't be cheap anymore.

He scores a lot? Is that it? Seriously, someone explain to me how this guy is worth Draisaitl.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I also see a slightly bigger version of Tyson Barrie. I get the feeling that he'd struggle in the Pacific Division.

He's certainly not worth Draisaitl. I wouldn't trade Nuge for him either.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

I think he's comparable to Dougie Hamilton, and cheaper. So pretty valuable. Not Drai's value, but def more than RNH. I think Puljujarvi straight up would be reasonable for both sides. Not sure I'd do it.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Yeah, I don't get it either.

I also see a slightly bigger version of Tyson Barrie. I get the feeling that he'd struggle in the Pacific Division.

He's certainly not worth Draisaitl. I wouldn't trade Nuge for him either.

He definitely has his warts, but he'd fill a big need in providing offence from the back end. I'd easily trade Nuge for him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Faulk has been on the first pairing for years though and has sort of done everything in Carolina. IMO he's much more "complete", bigger, nastier etc.

now let me chuck some science at'cha;

-he has averaged a higher cf% over the past 5 years
-over that span he has scored 20 more goals while having a lower PDO and poorer zone starts.
-he has 20 more blocked shots and 80 more hits over that period as well.

Faulk has not excelled in the past year or two as the hanifin-slavin pairing started to take bigger minutes so you're probably right in the general sense. But I still think Faulk does more....and all these fancy numbers don't lie (what do they mean?).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Faulk has been on the first pairing for years though and has sort of done everything in Carolina. IMO he's much more "complete", bigger, nastier etc.

-over that span he has scored 20 more goals while having a lower PDO and poorer zone starts.

Faulk has not excelled in the past year or two as the hanifin-slavin pairing started to take bigger minutes so you're probably right in the general sense. But I still think Faulk does more....and all these fancy numbers don't lie (what do they mean?).

He's definitely a bit better than Barrie, but he's not prime Duncan Keith. I just can't come to grips with the 'it's Drai or nothing' attitude.

I'd never offer it, but CAR fans turned their noses up at JP, and said 'no reasonable add would make it worth it' - ie they'd turn down JP + 1st or JP + Nurse. I just don't think he's that good.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
He's definitely a bit better than Barrie, but he's not prime Duncan Keith. I just can't come to grips with the 'it's Drai or nothing' attitude.

I'd never offer it, but CAR fans turned their noses up at JP, and said 'no reasonable add would make it worth it' - ie they'd turn down JP + 1st or JP + Nurse. I just don't think he's that good.

why compare him to barrie though.

imo its almost as big a gap from faulk to barrie as from faulk to keith.

anyways....drai for faulk is an obvious no. another reason why the hall trade was a good idea because now they don't have to worry about that kind of crap. they might even be able to get by until parayko's wife demands a trade to edmonton.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Not a Faulk fan at all... I think he'd make the Oilers D worse... not better.

He's way too far under water defensively to justify the slight blip in offensive boost he creates relative to his teammates.

I certainly wouldn't trade Drai for him... I wouldn't even trade RNH for him... and this is from someone who's fully on board for the Oilers to trade RNH. :)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

When a player consistently puts up terrible PDO numbers year after year and is consistently at or near the bottom of his team in +/-, there is something more than bad luck going on. The excuse used to be that he was playing top pairing minutes against other teams best players and his team had bad goaltending.

But this year he was sheltered behind the Slavin-Pesce pairing, who managed a PDO that was just fine while Faulk was still in the basement on his team. I wont pretend to say I watch enough of Carolina to say if Faulk is great defensively or not. But I don't buy that luck persists over an entire career like it has for Faulk. He's now played 6 years in the league. When he's on the ice the Hurricanes get badly outscored. He might perform fine in the shot metrics area, but when it comes to actual goals for/against? He gets slaughtered. Every. Single. Year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
why compare him to barrie though.

imo its almost as big a gap from faulk to barrie as from faulk to keith.

anyways....drai for faulk is an obvious no. another reason why the hall trade was a good idea because now they don't have to worry about that kind of crap. they might even be able to get by until parayko's wife demands a trade to edmonton.

A lot of Faulk's numbers over the last three years are very similar to Barrie's, and the Avs are even worse than the Canes have been.

Like Spawn says, the Hurricanes get curbstomped into a bloody pulp GF/GA wise with Faulk on the ice. The difference is they now have a pairing that keeps their head above water and then some, while Faulk keeps on getting scored on.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
A lot of Faulk's numbers over the last three years are very similar to Barrie's, and the Avs are even worse than the Canes have been.

well to be honest the one thing that actually seemed useful stats wise was the zone starts.....barrie has never been used in the d zone in the same way faulk has.....I'd say that's telling.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
well to be honest the one thing that actually seemed useful stats wise was the zone starts.....barrie has never been used in the d zone in the same way faulk has.....I'd say that's telling.

This past season Faulk was babied more than he'd ever been before - nearly 56% offensive zone starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad