Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Rick Dhaliwal @DhaliwalSports
Hearing possible Troy Brouwer trade out of Calgary. Not confirmed, just something heard.

Probably some miraculous trade such as Brouwer for a younger, better, cheaper player lol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You mean the team that has gotten much better this year, while we have gotten worse on paper? That is in our division? That unless something crazy happens we will have to play in the playoffs (or Anaheim)?

With the way the NHL is these days its really the only thing you should care about - division teams.
Too bad they don't base the standings on paper. Maybe wait until the season starts before freaking out.

By the way, that "much better" Flames team looked the same as usual in preseason.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The obsession some of you have with the Flames is just sad.

The Oilers should make major moves to an already good roster because Calgary is trying to improve their mediocre team from a year ago?

There are multiple regular posters on this board that share the following three things in common:

A) Live in Calgary
B) Disagree with every move made by Oilers management
C) Praise every move made by Flames management

I sure do wonder what could possibly be going on there.

Reactions: Del Preston

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'm not "sky is falling" but it can't be denied that Chia has done virtually nothing this summer other than the obvious extensions + Jokinen. He just seems pretty much uninterested in actually doing anything to make the team substantially better or to at least compensate for Sekera's absence. The moment the next Benning/Nurse brainfart costs us a game, it'll all come back to him.

Reactions: A91 and McDrai

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Too bad they don't base the standings on paper. Maybe wait until the season starts before freaking out.

You're right. Let's wait till the season is on the line to figure out if we should try and make the team better.

The bottom line is going into this season with the D we have is bad. Chia has done poorly, and if Talbot struggles even in the slightest we are in for a world of hurt. We were a bottom 5 team in High Danger Chances Against and if he has any sort of struggles it will be bad. We will likely have worse due to playing a worse D core this year (at least the first 2-4 months or more because Sekera wont be 100% when back).

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
You mean the team that has gotten much better this year, while we have gotten worse on paper? That is in our division? That unless something crazy happens we will have to play in the playoffs (or Anaheim)?

With the way the NHL is these days its really the only thing you should care about - division teams.
Are they better? They sure didn't look good in the preseason. What are we basing the fact that Calgary is all of a sudden a powerhouse on? Jagr, mike smith, Hamonic. None of those players had good years last year.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
There are multiple regular posters on this board that share the following three things in common:

A) Live in Calgary

The difference is those of us that look at stats and the thought the regression has a big chance to happen, and those that just look at wins and think "were young! we will be better next year!"

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You're right. Let's wait till the season is on the line to figure out if we should try and make the team better.

The bottom line is going into this season with the D we have is bad. Chia has done poorly, and if Talbot struggles even in the slightest we are in for a world of hurt. We were a bottom 5 team in High Danger Chances Against and if he has any sort of struggles it will be bad. We will likely have worse due to playing a worse D core this year (at least the first 2-4 months or more because Sekera wont be 100% when back).
why can't players like Benning and Nurse take another step in their development?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Are they better? They sure didn't look good in the preseason. What are we basing the fact that Calgary is all of a sudden a powerhouse on? Jagr, mike smith, Hamonic. None of those players had good years last year.

Come on man. You can only judge pre season for guys making a play for jobs.

Who won pre season last year? the Avs. 6-0. Were worst than the Oilers in their Dark years lol.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
why can't players like Benning and Nurse take another step in their development?

They surely can, but when they struggled last year to play the 3rd pairing when on the ice and you bump one up to the 2nd paring you think they will succeed?

Again, if Sekera was healthy I think we would have been fine. You want Nurse and benning playing another year as the 3rd. But pushing one guy up, he will likely struggle which will then boost the minutes of the 3rd pairing which will make the struggle too.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Come on man. You can only judge pre season for guys making a play for jobs.

Who won pre season last year? the Avs. 6-0. Were worst than the Oilers in their Dark years lol.

And you can only use the regular season to judge a teams sucess. We haven't got to game 1 and people are saying the flames are all of a sudden a great team. Cmon man.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
yah. i could give a single flying fuc about calgary.

the oilers need some production from slepy, caggiula, nurse, benning and they need to stay healthy. everyone else does enough to keep them afloat until sekbeauty gets back.

if even half of those 4 guys do well then they'll be fine.....if they all flop....well....you hope the depth gets a shot and picks up the slack.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They surely can, but when they struggled last year to play the 3rd pairing when on the ice and you bump one up to the 2nd paring you think they will succeed?

Again, if Sekera was healthy I think we would have been fine. You want Nurse and benning playing another year as the 3rd. But pushing one guy up, he will likely struggle which will then boost the minutes of the 3rd pairing which will make the struggle too.
Nurse and Benning played fantastic last year in the 3rd pairing

elevating Benning to 2nd pairing for 30 games isn't going to stunt his growth

again, Anaheim has to do the EXACT same thing with Vantanen and Lindholm out

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I ain't mad like some of you are about Jagr. Its a great gamble by the Flames at only $1million... but at the same time, its not a move that will put them over the top or anything. His addition to the Flames just made the BOA more fun and interesting to watch. Bring it on. Wonder if he'll be in the lineup Wednesday.

Reactions: Del Preston

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

A) Live in Calgary

What does location have to do with anything. It's supremely unfair to paint the people of a city all the same. It's fine if you disagree with my opinion but saying that my opinions are formed because of where I live is extremely weak.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I ain't mad like some of you are about Jagr. Its a great gamble by the Flames at only $1million... but at the same time, its not a move that will put them over the top or anything. His addition to the Flames just made the BOA more fun and interesting to watch. Bring it on. Wonder if he'll be in the lineup Wednesday.

I will agree with this.

For the record, I saw on twitter that immigration may keep him out of the game wednesday. Which is too bad. I'd love to see McDavid blow past him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
What does location have to do with anything. It's supremely unfair to paint the people of a city all the same. It's fine if you disagree with my opinion but saying that my opinions are formed because of where I live is extremely weak.

I actually wouldn't include you, FWIW. You are generally(but not always) negative about the Oilers and that's fair enough. What gets me is the people who are always negative about the Oilers AND slobber all over the Flames at every opportunity. You have no history of this that I rememeber.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I actually wouldn't include you, FWIW. You are generally(but not always) negative about the Oilers and that's fair enough. What gets me is the people who are always negative about the Oilers AND slobber all over the Flames at every opportunity. You have no history of this that I rememeber.
Alright fair enough. I like what Chia did last year but admittedly not really thrilled with his offseason this year. I think Mike Myth (because that's what his playing ability is) is a bum but I like the additions of Jagr and Hamonic. Once again goaltending will decide Calgarys fate.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

True for sure. I grew up an Oilers fan, went to school in Edmonton, but I may guilty of this but the way I see it is I have to actively look for Oilers news but passivly get constant Flames news here.

Anyways, I am not one to look to internal growth as a way to succeed, unless you have a long line of consistant success. We had one season where if McDavid wasn't on the ice and Talbot wasn't playing lights out we were very mediocre. I want to improve on that. And since McL insists on not having his second best C center his own line (his downfall in SJ IMO) then we need D. One of our top 4 went down and likely won't play to his ability until late in the season. Chia added nothing to this and it makes me concerned.

Even the top Vezina winning goalies in the NHL rarely put together back to back superb seasons. So I don't like to bank on Talbot bailing us out again and was hoping Chia would add some D. He did not and that concerns me.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Haha oh boy. If the flames added Jagr and somehow traded Brouwer as is rumored today... And Chia has sat on his hands and done nothing all summer to make the team better... I will be interested in hearing the defending of Chia.

Ha so them getting rid of Brouwer should have me screaming for Chia's job? People are giving way too much respect to the team down south. The essentially shuffled the deck chairs in net and up front and added Hamonic - plan the parade!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Sometimes I wonder if the Chia haters are really Flamers in disguise.

Chia is a mixed bag. Some of his trades/signings were good and some of his trades/signings were awful. I think the management we had before was god awful so pretty much anything after that would seem like a massive upgrade. I would give him a B- or C+ so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad