Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Are we looking at adding a winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
last topped 1000
new season
new thread

lots of people looking through telescopes and peering from behind bushes thing either Jagr or Iggy will be at camp tommorow

8iNmW.gif

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Cannot wait to somehow be even less productive! I wonder how much I will procrastinate this season!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Jagr wants ~$4 million again... I doubt there's a team out there that will do that dance with him. He likely ends up in Europe again.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I don't really want either of those two cause it just seems like we would get the Jagr/Iginla on their last legs ala Ryan Smyth in his last 2 seasons with us. Dragged every line down he was put on and left a lot of fans with a bad taste in their mouth.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We better not sign Kelly. That is pure favouritism if it happens. We don't need another checking line center, we need wingers.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'm very concerned with having Chiarelli as a GM. Yeah blah blah first time in playoffs in over a decade, but how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl? Sure he has made some good moves like Talbot, Maroon, and Kassian, but besides Talbot, most of his moves are either low impact depth moves, failure to extract value (Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome), and moves that set the team back significantly (Reinhart trade).

The guys just doesn't seem to have patience and caves easily to other GMs'/players' demands instead of waiting for better offers or negotiating proper figures on contracts. I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson. His abysmal cap management skills is even more alarming considering we'll be a cap team for the foreseeable future. Seriously. does every player have pictures of Chiarelli naked or something? How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million? And the sad thing is Draisaitl's contract is one of the more stomachable ones, at least he's going to be a franchise cornerstone. Handing out idiotic contracts like Kris Russell 4x4, Milan Lucic 6x7, complete with NMCs, then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.

Peter Chiarelli is a significantly better GM than Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish. But that doesn't make him a good GM. Instead of blindingly defending his moves, we need to consider if he's the right guy for the job moving forward.

PS. If he signs Chris "worst player on worst 4th line in the league last year" Kelly and cuts into the minutes of our developing players, I'm going to be very annoyed.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I'm very concerned with having Chiarelli as a GM. Yeah blah blah first time in playoffs in over a decade, but how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl? Sure he has made some good moves like Talbot, Maroon, and Kassian, but besides Talbot, most of his moves are either low impact depth moves, failure to extract value (Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome), and moves that set the team back significantly (Reinhart trade).

The guys just doesn't seem to have patience and caves easily to other GMs'/players' demands instead of waiting for better offers or negotiating proper figures on contracts. I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson. His abysmal cap management skills is even more alarming considering we'll be a cap team for the foreseeable future. Seriously. does every player have pictures of Chiarelli naked or something? How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million? And the sad thing is Draisaitl's contract is one of the more stomachable ones, at least he's going to be a franchise cornerstone. Handing out idiotic contracts like Kris Russell 4x4, Milan Lucic 6x7, complete with NMCs, then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.

Peter Chiarelli is a significantly better GM than Steve Tambellini and Craig MacTavish. But that doesn't make him a good GM. Instead of blindingly defending his moves, we need to consider if he's the right guy for the job moving forward.

PS. If he signs Chris "worst player on worst 4th line in the league last year" Kelly and cuts into the minutes of our developing players, I'm going to be very annoyed.

REVa3VL.gif

good ****ing lord

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl?
The team went from 30th in GA in MacTavish's final season to 8th two years later because of the rebuilt defense and goaltending. Chiarelli deserves a lot of credit for this.

I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson.
This is not true. The Islanders turned down Hall for Hamonic, and Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension in Edmonton. AFAIK one unnamed GM said he would have offered more, and that happens after every big trade. Means nothing.

How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million?
6 years vs 8 years

then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.
They did not have the cap room to bury Pouliot. They need space for performance bonuses and to add players later in the season for a playoff run. The buyout also opened up a contract spot.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Maybe you should just stick to watching reruns of old games from the past 10 years....seems like you would enjoy that more than actually watching a winning team.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We better not sign Kelly. That is pure favouritism if it happens. We don't need another checking line center, we need wingers.

He's traditionally been a flexible player he can play any position up front, I've read a lot of people saying his injuries have hampered his game significantly. My preference is a 3rd line RW who can PK over a utility 4th liner, we should come into the season assuming that one of Strome, Caggiula, Pulju, or Slepy will fall flat on their face and not adequately fill the role they are given.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So the Oilers have Sekera, Slepyshev and Khaira injured already... and the preseason games haven't even begun.

Obviously Slepyshev and Khaira are likely minor injuries and will be back soon... but it does highlight how easily it is to lose players (and how fortunate the team was last season).

Depth will once again be critical to what happens to the team this season... so much so that if they aren't as fortunate as last season in terms of injuries they likely miss the playoffs.

I doubt they add a Gionta/Hudler type at this point, but it certainly wouldn't hurt because I wouldn't doubt they will always have at least a couple injured players at all times this season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's traditionally been a flexible player he can play any position up front, I've read a lot of people saying his injuries have hampered his game significantly. My preference is a 3rd line RW who can PK over a utility 4th liner, we should come into the season assuming that one of Strome, Caggiula, Pulju, or Slepy will fall flat on their face and not adequately fill the role they are given.

Yeah, he broke his femur two years ago. I don't doubt he lost a spring in his step after that injury.

At this point I'd almost be willing to overpay for Gionta as he fills the middle six RW option who can play all situations. He was an ironman last year who played all 82 games.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I'm very concerned with having Chiarelli as a GM. Yeah blah blah first time in playoffs in over a decade, but how much of this was him being a good GM and how much of it was the natural progression of players like McDavid and Draisaitl?

It seems like you have your mind set, however, his moves created an environment where those players progressed, as opposed to what we've seen from our top draft picks in the past.

Sure he has made some good moves like Talbot, Maroon, and Kassian, but besides Talbot, most of his moves are either low impact depth moves, failure to extract value (Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome), and moves that set the team back significantly (Reinhart trade).

I find it disingenuous to write off Maroon as a low impact depth move, and then in the same breath lament the value of the Eberle trade.

The guys just doesn't seem to have patience and caves easily to other GMs'/players' demands instead of waiting for better offers or negotiating proper figures on contracts. I mean I like Larsson, but you can't tell me he's the best defenceman we could've possibly gotten for Hall. Multiple GMs have stated that they would have beaten the Devils' deal. But nope, instead of shopping one of the Oilers' most valuable assets, he tunnel visions on Larsson. His abysmal cap management skills is even more alarming considering we'll be a cap team for the foreseeable future.

That's hard to tell, but Larsson does click a lot of boxes... Age and developent that fits in with our core, check. Value contract for decent length, check. I like the Larsson move, and along with Maroon, shows ol' Pete's got at least some cap sense.

Seriously. does every player have pictures of Chiarelli naked or something? How does Boston lock up Pastrnak for less than 7 million and we have to pay Draisaitl, who is only slightly better, over 8.5 million? And the sad thing is Draisaitl's contract is one of the more stomachable ones, at least he's going to be a franchise cornerstone. Handing out idiotic contracts like Kris Russell 4x4, Milan Lucic 6x7, complete with NMCs, then unnecessarily buying out Pouliot when we had more than enough cap space to just bury him in the minors, are potentially franchise crippling moves.

The optics don't look good on Drai's deal after the Pastrnak signing.. As to the gap between the two, my first guess is the extra UFA years. My second guess is position and perceived value. It's definitely stomachable.

I believe Russel and Lucic were going to get those contracts, or more, from us or another team. So it comes down to whether you want them on the team or not. The numbers are what they are. I am a big believer Lucic has more in him then what we've seen, and I'm betting heavily that Russel is going to shine without Eberle on the ice :sarcasm:

Fair enough. I just don't seem to mind the moves. I didn't lose any sleep over Reinhart. I'd rather have Russell and Lucic than nothing.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The team went from 30th in GA in MacTavish's final season to 8th two years later because of the rebuilt defense and goaltending. Chiarelli deserves a lot of credit for this.

This is not true. The Islanders turned down Hall for Hamonic, and Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension in Edmonton. AFAIK one unnamed GM said he would have offered more, and that happens after every big trade. Means nothing.

6 years vs 8 years

They did not have the cap room to bury Pouliot. They need space for performance bonuses and to add players later in the season for a playoff run. The buyout also opened up a contract spot.

Draisaitl is also a better player with a higher ceiling to boot. We are talking about Toews/Kopitar potential in terms of two way play, with more offense. Pastrnak seems to be more offensive minded forward.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

6 years vs 8 years

I gave him credit for acquiring Talbot, which along with Larsson significantly improved the goals against, but even the Talbot trade was partially Sather doing a favour for his old team. There's also no way the Oilers make the playoffs without McDavid, Draisaitl, and Klefbom breaking out, pieces already in place before Chiarelli arrived.

The only person who I know said that the Islanders wouldn't trade Hamonic for Hall was Arthur Staples who is a known hack. If he somehow was connected though, the fact that Chiarelli offered Hall for Hamonic is highly alarming and thank god Garth Snow didn't fleece him for the umpteenth time.

the 2 extra UFA years does not make up for a 28 million dollar difference.

The Benoit Pouliot buyout saved approximately 2.7 million in cap space. With our current 8.3 million available that would've left us with 5.6 million pre-Pouliot buyout. McDavid, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, and Slepyshev max combined performance bonuses eat up around 6.2 million. There were much easier ways to make up that 0.6 million than taking on 1.3 million dead cap for the next 4 seasons (for example, not handing Kris Russell that millstone contract).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I gave him credit for acquiring Talbot, which along with Larsson significantly improved the goals against, but even the Talbot trade was partially Sather doing a favour for his old team. There's also no way the Oilers make the playoffs without McDavid, Draisaitl, and Klefbom breaking out, pieces already in place before Chiarelli arrived.
But there's no way the Oilers make the playoffs without drastically reducing their goals against and being a tougher team. Go look at the roster Chiarelli inherited (ignoring McDavid and Draisaitl) and compare it to April 2017. His fingerprints are all over the team. He also signed Klefbom to an incredible contract that is already one of the best in the league.

The only person who I know said that the Islanders wouldn't trade Hamonic for Hall was Arthur Staples who is a known hack. If he somehow was connected though, the fact that Chiarelli offered Hall for Hamonic is highly alarming and thank god Garth Snow didn't fleece him for the umpteenth time.
Even if Staples is wrong, there is still the Shattenkirk rumour which has been confirmed by multiple media members. So Chiarelli wasn't only after Larsson.

the 2 extra UFA years does not make up for a 28 million dollar difference.
It doesn't but the two contracts would be a lot closer if they were the same length.

The Benoit Pouliot buyout saved approximately 2.7 million in cap space. With our current 8.3 million available that would've left us with 5.6 million pre-Pouliot buyout. McDavid, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, and Slepyshev max combined performance bonuses eat up around 6.2 million. There were much easier ways to make up that 0.6 million than taking on 1.3 million dead cap for the next 4 seasons (for example, not handing Kris Russell that millstone contract).
The Oilers have $7.525M in potential bonus payouts this season. The chances of everyone hitting them is almost impossible, however, the team still has to budget for a good amount.

The room wasn't just for bonus cushioning though. It's also to leave space during the season to acquire a rental or two. I believe that's also part of the reason the Oilers didn't trade any high picks this summer for NHL players. Either they are going to keep them to rebuild the prospect system or move to get help for a playoff run.

I agree with you about Chris Kelly, but I would rather have him taking up ice time from younger players for ~$1M than watch Pouliot do the same thing for four times as much. The Russell contract is too long but at least it's structured so the Oilers can move it after the third season. He also plays a ton of minutes, so realistically who could step in and replace those right now (and they're already without Sekera for at least a month)? Similar players were paid the same or more than him this summer too.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I agree with both sides about Chia

He has done alot of good and has made some very nice moves. He needs to be defended for those

However, he makes some bad ones also. He has a history being a weak negotiator and handing out loyalty contracts

Probably the best remark I saw about him from Bruins fans is that he sells 80cents on the dollar. That eventually catches up with you, and that he has a history of overpaying non-core players aswell

There is some evidence in all this in some of the moves he has made here already

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The two years most definitely make up for the $28M difference. His eventual salary those years, the risk of losing him and negotiating/signing him as UFA in his prime at 27 years old will be brutal if things continue to move the way they have in the last years with UFA contracts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad