Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Are You Out of Your Faulkin' Mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just out of pure fantasy. I could live with this

Maroon-McDavid-Stamkos
Hall-Drai-Eriksson
Pou-DuBois-Shaw
x-x-x

Sekera-Faulk
Klef-Braun
Davidson-Petrovic

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think weve seen some discounts from guys resigning in big markets. Weve seen Suter and Parise both sign in hometown in a way reminiscent to what NBA players have been doing for a little.

I think well see some players selectively choosing this route in next 3-4 years, although not saying Stamkos will do this. Just that I think well see 2 FAs choose an up and coming team to take over the edge and be contenders

7.5M over 13 years at a lower cap is a hometown discount? Guys might sign for a couple 100k to max 1M less then they're worth on the open market. Anything more and the NHLPA will step in and ask what they're doing. They want a league where the stars get paid at the same level they do in other sports and the 3rd and 4th line guys make anywhere from league minimum to 2M. If you don't believe me you weren't following the lockout negotiations closely enough.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Good point, and if I'm not mistaken Hanzal is an RFA right now. Any deal for him would center around signing him for at least 4 years on a cap friendly contract.

He is the perfect 3C though imo

I use to be very high on Hanzal for a number of years and thought he would be a great fit for us. But after last season and the amount of injuries we had I wonder about giving up anything to try and acquire someone that is pretty much guaranteed to miss a quarter of the season every year, if not more.....

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Stamkos should go the Lebron James way a season or 2. Signing fat one year deals for now since the cap will be higher in a few seasons.

Epic fail by Semin doing that but he still got paid.

I dont think you can consider that an epic fail. Dude went from potential KHL bound guy to making 7M (?) per year for 5 years. 35 mil made from one good season. Id say that a major success for him (and fail on Carolina). On topic of Semin, I got roasted for saying this before, but ill say it again. We should look at bringing Semin in on a PTO. He was horribly used in Montreal and when he went back to the KHL he put up some good point totals and won the KHL cup. I wouldnt say hes that good anymore, but he could be a potential Yak/Eberle replacement if he succeeds in his try out

As for Stamkos, his value is at his highest. He could get 9/5 mil this year. Not sure he risks passing up a 7 year deal. Risk he regresses further and Toronto or a big purse team moves on from him in mean time. Upside of a 1 year deal is he bounces back to 60 goals and goes for league max deal

I dunno, maybe its a fit to sign him for a 1 year deal. We get a vet and proven goal scorer to help us next year. McDavid boosts his value for next offseason

Highly unlikely but best fit for both parties

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I dont think you can consider that an epic fail. Dude went from potential KHL bound guy to making 7M (?) per year for 5 years. 35 mil made from one good season. Id say that a major success for him (and fail on Carolina). On topic of Semin, I got roasted for saying this before, but ill say it again. We should look at bringing Semin in on a PTO. He was horribly used in Montreal and when he went back to the KHL he put up some good point totals and won the KHL cup. I wouldnt say hes that good anymore, but he could be a potential Yak/Eberle replacement if he succeeds in his try out

As for Stamkos, his value is at his highest. He could get 9/5 mil this year. Not sure he risks passing up a 7 year deal. Risk he regresses further and Toronto or a big purse team moves on from him in mean time. Upside of a 1 year deal is he bounces back to 60 goals and goes for league max deal

I dunno, maybe its a fit to sign him for a 1 year deal. We get a vet and proven goal scorer to help us next year. McDavid boosts his value for next offseason

I think there's a very good chance Stamkos ends up in Toronto or Carolina on a 10M per for 7 year deal. Speaking of KHL forwards I heard a rumor Kovalchuk may be interested in returning.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Knock on him is that he doesn't get to the spots he needs to quickly enough anymore, so I would want the Oilers to avoid it for that reason.

If there were an inkling that Stamkos would sign in Edmonton, I think you have to seriously pursue it. He's a dynamic goal scorer who's already professed an admiration for McDavid's skill level. Scoring a lot of extra goals would really change things for the Oilers.

I don't suggest that instead of the Blueline, I suggest looking at it along with improving the blueline.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To note:

last 2 years (post injury):

Hall: 25 ES goals, 74 ES points, 2.15 pts/60
Stamkos: 31 ES goals, 73 ES points, 1.93 pts/60

Stamkos is dominant on PP so advantage to him there. But Hall cant really dictate Woodcrofts crappy PP schemes. But 5 x 5 they are eerily similar

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I use to be very high on Hanzal for a number of years and thought he would be a great fit for us. But after last season and the amount of injuries we had I wonder about giving up anything to try and acquire someone that is pretty much guaranteed to miss a quarter of the season every year, if not more.....

Isn't any player guaranteed to miss a quarter of the season if they're wearing an Oilers jersey? :laugh::cry:

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

Agreed, I dig Hanzal as much as the next guy, he's lights out at what he does. But those injuries of his are worrisome as heck. Hasn't he only played over 80 games, like, once? And now that he's nearing 30, it's unlikely that changes, really. Again, love the player, he could be a great fit with a veteran presence and a solidifying cog down the middle, but I'd be hella cautious about giving up any big pieces for him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Yeah I edited that Semin quote out. I liked what he did since he was risky to sign long term.

I remember after Semin signed his 7 mill contract he was at McDonalds that day :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think there's a very good chance Stamkos ends up in Toronto or Carolina on a 10M per for 7 year deal. Speaking of KHL forwards I heard a rumor Kovalchuk may be interested in returning.

If he can get that, then id do that. League max is only what? 12 mil? Big risk in signing a 1 year deal only for a 2 mil per year increase. But if he was getting lowballed at 8 mil by all teams because they are wary of his production and health issues. Maybe it is in his interest to sign 1 year at 8-9 mil with McDavid and boost his value. This is PURELY speculation fun. But I think there is some roots of reality in there somewhere

I got all kinds of time for Stamkos at 9 mil for 1 year only. We could make cap space relatively easy. Once again, only speculation fun

As for KHL forwards, I have all kinds of time again for a KHL forward. Perferably a PTO for Kovalchuk or Semin (if they suck, not sweat of my back). Maybe offer Radulov a contract, once again a lower one as he has risk and not the #1 priority

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The risky part about signing Stamkos is he ends up looking like Semin. At time of the extension, Semin had the best wrister in the game along with a better 2way game than Stamkos.
7Mx5 for Semin was a risk. Imagine 9M+ for Stamkos

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
To note:

last 2 years (post injury):

Hall: 25 ES goals, 74 ES points, 2.15 pts/60
Stamkos: 31 ES goals, 73 ES points, 1.93 pts/60

Stamkos is dominant on PP so advantage to him there. But Hall cant really dictate Woodcrofts crappy PP schemes. But 5 x 5 they are eerily similar

Not sure how to confirm but what has Stammer's linemates been most often since St. Louis left? I wonder how much that has to do him being closer to a 40 goal scorer than 60 like the years before.

I think a Stamkos here who gets to be on a PP with McDavid and can also switch between running his own line or riding shotgun with McD provides us a much greater impact than the situations we can put Hall in for team success. So kind of hard just matching the box numbers to predict impact although that's JMO.

With all those set ups we saw McDavid create last year, just imagine having Stamkos on the other end of those. It would be glorious.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
That's just not a luxury to me. That's adding one of the greatest triggerman of all time to be a building block along with McDavid for close to the next decade.

Paying $20M or more for two forwards (which is what we'd be looking at in a year or two down the road) makes it a lot harder to build anything around them. Sure you can bring him in and trade other parts for D, but there's no way you can keep any kind of quality together for more than a couple of years with that kind of cash tied up on your top line.

His price point is a risk for sure but I'm a fan that everything Stammer brings to a team. You will rarely find a player like that ever available, especially at the age of 26, so I'm in big support of the rewards compared to the risk.

To me the idea of adding Stamkos is just doubling down on the same top-heavy model that's kept the Oilers in the basement for the last five years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The risky part about signing Stamkos is he ends up looking like Semin. At time of the extension, Semin had the best wrister in the game along with a better 2way game than Stamkos.
7Mx5 for Semin was a risk. Imagine 9M+ for Stamkos

Thats the risk for the club, that Chia ends up falling in love with McDavid-Stamkos line and signing him to a big deal. Itd be tough to watch him score 60 and give him up in FA

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Stamkos scares me with his blood clot issues. Could be the biggest risk/reward of the summer. If we can get Eriksson for 6 I'd rather have him.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Stamkos is perfect for our PP. We don't have any right handed shooter that can play that spot opposite to McDavid.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Stamkos scares me with his blood clot issues. Could be the biggest risk/reward of the summer. If we can get Eriksson for 6 I'd rather have him.

I just want to see the finesse of a McDavid-Eriksson duo together. The i.q and speed will just toy with opponents. That boosts the PP vastly.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I just want to see the finesse of a McDavid-Eriksson duo together. The i.q and speed will just toy with opponents. That boosts the PP vastly.

I agree, Eriksson is a must target for Chia, would be a great fit with any center

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

Yessir. The perfect target if Chia is spending money on a forward this off-season. He brings everything the Oilers need in the top six.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree, Eriksson is a must target for Chia, would be a great fit with any center

I really like an Eriksson target too. 2 way guy, adds good board play, skill, IQ

Becomes our Hossa (lite)

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
$5.5 each for Eriksson and Demers is probably a better use of $10M+ cap space than Stamkos, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad