Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Are You Out of Your Faulkin' Mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah I guess.

Maybe Tkachuk becomes part of a big 4 after the combine. ;)

What do the Oilers add for Hanzal and Stone. Those guys would be great depth adds especially if you trade drai.

I just think Dubois had too good of a season to be bumped just because of a combine. No question Tkachuk will dominate the combine, but Dubois should do just fine given his frame.

I don't see Arizona's incentive to trade those guys at all, in any scenario. The only thing I can think of is trading Sekera so they upgrade their defense. Sekera for Hanzal + Stone? Not sure Sekera would waive, not sure Arizona would do it, not sure if it would even make sense for us to do it.

If it's around Yakupov + Reinhart then I think the add would be some picks and a prospect straight across for Hanzal+Stone. Leave the 1sts out of it. That might make sense too.

Draft Tkachuk/Dubois with 4th overall.

Hall - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - Nuge - Dubois/Tkachuk
??? - Hanzal - Maroon
Hendricks - Letestu - Kassian

Sekera - Faulk
Klefbom - Stone
Nurse - Davidson
Gryba

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Kinda like how Ovechkin was over the hill 4 yrs ago. ;)
Stamkos had 36 goals this season (Tied with Crosby for 6th best) despite missing some games.

Had 43 last season in regular season + 7 in playoffs

Not worth 9M\season sure but washed up ???

Stamkos is not the same guy he was. Is he good? yes. How good of an overpayment is he though?

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
wouldn't say that's cherry picking, the truth is we are not one high end forward away from competing, we have many weaknesses D and Bottom 6 also need fixed.
Bottom line IMO is if we were fortunate enough to land Stamkos, Chia has a lot of hard work to make the team around Stammer and McD better with limited $$

Very fair points. It would definitely change the make up of this team going forward and add a lot to Chia's plate but I also think it creates more expendable players and more options to find the support we need.

While Stamkos is 100x the sniper Smyth was. Let's not put Stamkos in the same category as heart and soul as Smytty was. Not many are in that category. When Smytty was traded many tears were shed. Can't say the same for Stamkos

I have no problem putting them in the same category. No question Smyth meant more to a city like Edmonton but when it comes to leading a team and playing the game, I put the attitude and effort of guys like Smyth and Stammer at the very top. They are the leaders you want going into battle that is the SC playoffs.

Stamkos will also command $10M plus, which makes him a very expensive luxury to have.

That's just not a luxury to me. That's adding one of the greatest triggerman of all time to be a building block along with McDavid for close to the next decade. His price point is a risk for sure but I'm a fan that everything Stammer brings to a team. You will rarely find a player like that ever available, especially at the age of 26, so I'm in big support of the rewards compared to the risk.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeh plenty of proposals I wouldnt touch including the ARI one.
Hanzal is one year away from hitting free agency and hasnt be healthy enough to play more than 65 games the last 6 seasons.
There is a dropoff after pick 5 and ARI would be drooling to pick up a local kid Tkachuk if they could somehow move up in draft. Keith Tkachuk spent his prime years playing for Yotes and that Tkachuk jersey would sell like anything there.

4th for 7th + Stone is fair IMO
1 year (60 games) of Hanzal is not worth Reinhart + Yakupov
Good point, and if I'm not mistaken Hanzal is an RFA right now. Any deal for him would center around signing him for at least 4 years on a cap friendly contract.

He is the perfect 3C though imo

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
While Stamkos is 100x the sniper Smyth was. Let's not put Stamkos in the same category as heart and soul as Smytty was. Not many are in that category. When Smytty was traded many tears were shed. Can't say the same for Stamkos

Only one that was crying was Ryan.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
:shakehead
Palat, Kucvherov, Bishop, Johnson, Drouin, Callahan, Fillipula, Stralman, Boyle. All acquired by Yzerman. I'm probably missing some there.

Drouin is getting his shot now and it's working out fine. Stamkos is TBD and ditching St. Louis was great asset management in the end.

The actual results say otherwise.

Clearly my Lightning research needs work, thought he was hired after they drafted many of the listed players.
My bad i guess hes actually owning that GM role

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Because it's a union and whatever Stamkos gets the league and teams can use at arbitration hearings. Make no doubt about it Stamkos will be setting the bar for elite UFA players. Imo he'll get 10M per same as Kane and Toews.

UFA's are not eligible for arbitration. For RFA's there are strict rules on the contracts that can be used as comparables which exclude his deal.

I have no doubt that Stamkos will get a lot. But that is because some team will pay not because it benefits the NHLPA. As I said, it is a zero sum game. The more he makes the less others make. How many other unions do you know for which that is true?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Stamkos also will bring a lot of revenue to any team he goes to. Ticket sales, jersey sales, etc. He's a player you can build a lot of hype around. That will be factored into how much his contract is

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Anyone who doesn't have time for Stamkos at $7.5M is crazy.

Anyone who thinks he would consider an offer like that even for one second is crazier.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Kinda like how Ovechkin was over the hill 4 yrs ago. ;)
Stamkos had 36 goals this season (Tied with Crosby for 6th best) despite missing some games.

Had 43 last season in regular season + 7 in playoffs

Not worth 9M\season sure but washed up ???

What's the split on Stamkos pre and post broken leg?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Anyone who doesn't have time for Stamkos at $7.5M is crazy.

Anyone who thinks he would consider an offer like that even for one second is crazier.

7.5 is once again just a low ball offer (and a big one). Even 8.5 for him an underpay but we are better off getting Yandle and Demers for that money (combined 10 mil probably). I have time for Stamkos, but hes way more of a pipe dream kind of thing, nothing serious. Just something fun to talk about

On a general Stamkos note. Anyone who signs him for over 9M will not be getting what they paid for. Regressing point totals, invisible in 2015 playoffs, team is in ECF without him. Hes good, but honestly the gap between him and Hall is not that big right now, certainly not 3+ mil. Broken femur did a number on him and now he has blood clot issues that could affect him in the future. If you looked at Bolts board even last year (when he was likely to resign) the pitchforks were out and his game was in serious question

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
UFA's are not eligible for arbitration. For RFA's there are strict rules on the contracts that can be used as comparables which exclude his deal.

I have no doubt that Stamkos will get a lot. But that is because some team will pay not because it benefits the NHLPA. As I said, it is a zero sum game. The more he makes the less others make. How many other unions do you know for which that is true?

You can believe what you want but the NHLPA wants their stars getting paid. Stamkos won't be taking a discount to sign anywhere unless it's Tampa and that's because he can get the extra year out of it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Stamkos is a guy you acquire when your team is contending for the cup and has every checklist checked off but is missing a bonafide sniper. This is why he is considered a luxury and not a need.

Getting Stamkos before getting a #1D is not wise.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
You can believe what you want but the NHLPA wants their stars getting paid. Stamkos won't be taking a discount to sign anywhere unless it's Tampa and that's because he can get the extra year out of it.

yea i tend to agree with Raab, unlike basketball where "star" players go and take a discount to form super teams, i rarely hear this happen in NHL....only one that comes to mind are when kariya and selanne took "hits" on their pay to join sakic/forsberg/roy in denver

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Which is just as ridiculous.

I think you'll struggle to find any Lightning fans these days who prefer Stamkos over Hedman and Kucherov with some even going so far as to put Stralman and Johnson over him too.

They don't like his defensive game, they don't like his play in the neutral zone, they don't think he's as fast as he used to be, and they think he underperforms in the playoffs.

I don't think they're wrong. 60 goal Stamkos is a long time ago.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think you'll struggle to find any Lightning fans these days who prefer Stamkos over Hedman and Kucherov with some even going so far as to put Stralman and Johnson over him too.

They don't like his defensive game, they don't like his play in the neutral zone, they don't think he's as fast as he used to be, and they think he underperforms in the playoffs.

I don't think they're wrong. 60 goal Stamkos is a long time ago.

Tampa fans have had Kucherov over Stamkos for 2 years now for forwards, and Hedman is not clear best Tampa player

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
yea i tend to agree with Raab, unlike basketball where "star" players go and take a discount to form super teams, i rarely hear this happen in NHL....only one that comes to mind are when kariya and selanne took "hits" on their pay to join sakic/forsberg/roy in denver

I think weve seen some discounts from guys resigning in big markets. Weve seen Suter and Parise both sign in hometown in a way reminiscent to what NBA players have been doing for a little.

I think well see some players selectively choosing this route in next 3-4 years, although not saying Stamkos will do this. Just that I think well see 2 FAs choose an up and coming team to take over the edge and be contenders

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I really think the Oilers should be targeting Alex Killorn from Tampa, he's an RFA this summer too and might be a cap casualty depending on Stamkos and potentially Stanley Cup bonus' too.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Stamkos should go the Lebron James way a season or 2. Signing fat one year deals for now since the cap will be higher in a few seasons. Then load up on a deal.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
What's the split on Stamkos pre and post broken leg?

He broke his leg in 2013 so all the numbers I stated were post injury.

His PPG went down post injury though but is still pretty elite.
He was hovering around 1.2PPG before the injury
around 0.8PPG post injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad