Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: What kind of magic can Chia-pet work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And having our top 2 centers having less than a full season added together is a good idea? Go away MacT

Then we make a trade for a 3c. Don't have to move your 1c to do that

You realize that Henrique is playing first line on a team better then the Oilers right? That's the key to the deal, getting a center thats young, experienced, and talented back in return.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Henrique could just as easily anchor the #2 spot behind Mcdavid at a very affordable 4M per year. Severson who's 21 is if I'm not mistaken already on New Jersey's second pairing playing behind Larsson. I don't see him as a 3rd pairing guy longterm, in the lineup I posted any of the 3 pairings could be used interchangeably IMO, and Schultz could just as easily be bumped down to play with Reinhart. If were bringing in Severson I see him playing second pairing and as the PPQB on the 1st power play unit for this year and next. Long term I could see him taking over the top pairing duties on the right side.
We don't need young inexperienced maybes. We need guys who are experienced and legit. Severson isn't that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Are you prepared to pay Schultz big money long term? Because thats what he'll be looking for this year.

we will see how he performs when he returns. This injury of his has already knocked of a few 100K off his next contract. If he comes back and nets in 25pts+ and improves his +/- he will be worth the Klefbom $$. Doubt he would be in a position to command any more than that. Ideally we spend that money on a Byfuglien or a Burns but for that we will need a trade partner.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You realize that Henrique is playing first line on a team better then the Oilers right? That's the key to the deal, getting a center thats young, experienced, and talented back in return.
You get a worse center and a maybe young inexperienced d. That's not what the team needs more of.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I really like the RNH for Henrique+Severson. It allows us to trade Schultz+Fayne+Nikitin. The upside of Henrique is he becomes a #1b C playing with more skilled players. The downside is he becomes a 4M #3C. Still good. Severson on the other hand, the upside is a #1D with a top 4 floor. Some trades you have to make in order to improve the team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I really like the RNH for Henrique+Severson. It allows us to trade Schultz+Fayne+Nikitin. The upside of Henrique is a #1b C playing with more skilled players. The downside is he's a 4M #3C. Still good. Severson on the other hand, the upside is a #1D with a top 4 floor. Some trades you have to made in order to improve the team.
For a bottom feeding team it is too risky though. Adding another guy to the d core with less than a full season under his belt is ridiculous. Moving Schultz too means we would have 1 NHL d that has played more than 2 seasons. That's scary

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

You realize that RNH is 2 points away from being a top 5 scorer in this league?
Also, Henrique is at best a 1b on Devils behind Zajac. 2 pts in last 7GP and might have gotten benched\injured last game. Zajac played 23min+ and Henrique 16mins with a -2.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
For a bottom feeding team it is too risky though. Adding another guy to the d core with less than a full season under his belt is ridiculous. Moving Schultz too means we would have 1 NHL d that has played more than 2 seasons. That's scary

Not extending Schultz and moving him is the right move. He's not worth 4M+. He's just not. Severson is already as good as Schultz and is only getting better. The Oilers have to take a risk at some point.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We don't need young inexperienced maybes. We need guys who are experienced and legit. Severson isn't that.

And who are we going to get who's experienced and legit? No one because no top pairing UFA dman is going to come here and teams aren't trading guys they have signed. Big Buff maybe I'll give you that, but I'd rather have Severson then Big buff. Were not getting Burns, no way he comes here as a UFA or that SJ trades him in conference. I hate crushing your guys dreams but were not going to get a legit #1 dman in his prime. Were going to need to trade for someone with that potential and develop him.

McDeathbyCheerios*

You realize that RNH is 2 points away from being a top 5 scorer in this league?
Also, Henrique is at best a 1b on Devils behind Zajac. 2 pts in last 7GP and might have gotten benched\injured last game. Zajac played 23min+ and Henrique 16mins with a -2.
RNH plays more than 99% of the league and is good at it. Losing him makes the game harder on all our centers. Henrique can't replace that.

McDeathbyCheerios*

And who are we going to get who's experienced and legit? No one because no top pairing UFA dman is going to come here and teams aren't trading guys they have signed. Big Buff maybe I'll give you that, but I'd rather have Severson then Big buff. Were not getting Burns, no way he comes here as a UFA or that SJ trades him in conference. I hate crushing your guys dreams but were not going to get a legit #1 dman in his prime. Were going to need to trade for someone with that potential and develop him.
Trading for potential and development is fine but you don't love a legit number eating #1 center to do so, that's ridiculous.

We aren't getting a legit #1 d thru trade true. What you do is get a good 2nd pairing d from a team with good defensive depth.

Also I could see Burns signing here, he loved playing for McLellan.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Where is this RNH trade nonsense coming from? I would only trade Nuge if there is a better C lined up. Draisaitl is not the answer until 2017 and McDavid still needs sheltering.

Maybe on LD, but not at all on McDavid.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Trading for potential and development is fine but you don't love a legit number eating #1 center to do so, that's ridiculous.

The risk in Burns is trading for him and seeing if he will sign here. He still has 2 more years in San Jose. Trading for him will require an arm and leg. Getting him UFA, we will have to wait 2 years. Do we have 2 years? In 2 years we will be looking to extend Hall, RNH and Eberle or trade them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Our roster is full of potential. We have 4 or 5 young d-men already playing for us this year. Adding another is by no means an answer unless you are getting a stud that is clearly better than Nurse and Klef.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

We aren't getting a legit #1 d thru trade true. What you do is get a good 2nd pairing d from a team with good defensive depth.

Mcdavid is better then RNH at 18 years old. Once he's back running something like this for a top 6 isn't the end of the world.

Hall-Henrique-Drasaitl
Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov

That leaves Eb's to the 3rd line to hopefully get Lander going. Long term I can see us winning a cup running Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Henrique down the middle with Severson, Nurse, and Klefbom in our top 4.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The key is finding a trading partner. I don't think you find much unless you dangle Hall or RNH.

Even those two would be hard to trade in season. We'd most likely have to take back almost the same $ worth of contracts and it's unlikely to be players that are really going to help us immediately. We'll have to take a cap dump, a depth player along with younger prospects and probably picks to make a deal. It's just the reality of living under the cap. We need a team who has a problematic player like the Bruins did with Seguin and Hamilton because they cant afford them or like Philly when they got rid of Richards and Carter. In either case we wont be sending back guys like RNH, Eberle and Hall because their contracts make any trade difficult.

If we do trade them we'll get a few pieces, not one solid player and that probably doesnt really help us. We are better off trading lesser pieces for somone elses problem but we've got to act when one of those comes up.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Our roster is full of potential. We have 4 or 5 young d-men already playing for us this year. Adding another is by no means an answer unless you are getting a stud that is clearly better than Nurse and Klef.

Severson is on the same level as Nurse and Klefbom but is a RHD who can QB a PP.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Mcdavid is better then RNH at 18 years old. Once he's back running something like this for a top 6 isn't the end of the world.

Hall-Henrique-Drasaitl
Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov

That leaves Eb's to the 3rd line to hopefully get Lander going. Long term I can see us winning a cup running Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Henrique down the middle with Severson, Nurse, and Klefbom in our top 4.

So Nurse-Severson, Klefbom-Sekera, Reinhart-Schultz is the answer to Oilers defense.

Another 21yo Dman is the last thing the Oilers need when the cost is Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Another side benefit that I haven't seen mentioned is that Henrique was Halls center man in jr. They did ok together:naughty:. I'm sure he would slide into that spot fairly well if the oilers brought him here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So Nurse-Severson, Klefbom-Sekera, Reinhart-Schultz is the answer to Oilers defense.

Another 21yo Dman is the last thing the Oilers need when the cost is Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

Replace Schultz with a top 4 UFA gapstop D. Now you have Klefbom, Severson and Nurse with #1 upside. That would be a legit defensive core.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I see it like this for this year and next:

Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Severson
Reinhart-Schultz
Gryba

Eventually Severson and Sekera switch spots and Schultz walks replaced by a cheaper dman.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Replace Schultz with a top 4 UFA gapstop D. Now you have Klefbom, Severson and Nurse with #1 upside. That would be a legit defensive core.
Or we just get that top 4 ufa stopgap and still have Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart while keeping RNH

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Wait, why, out of all players, are the Oilers trading Nugent-Hopkins to try to make the D better? More value? Gag me. We're talking about Damon Severson anyway. You don't trade a first-line center for him, at least at this point in his career.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Wait, why, out of all players, are the Oilers trading Nugent-Hopkins to try to make the D better? More value? Gag me. We're talking about Damon Severson anyway. You don't trade a first-line center for him, at least at this point in his career.
Cause apparently moving RNH for Henrique and Severson makes us better, even with the intention of having Henrique be our 3 c and Severson being faaar from proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad