Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: What kind of magic can Chia-pet work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Last thread hit 1000 and some.

Some quotes:

Sekera was moved for a meh player and a 1st.Yak with Fayne and a 1st could get us a good player.

Lol. When it comes to d-men you bet your ass it does.

He took Hedman tell his 5th year to prove his pick

We lucked with Nurse and Klefbom. They proved their worth quick.

RNH will eventually be our #2C. Henrique is a#2C guy already whose style will do well in the western conference. Are you saying RNH in 1-2 years will be worth a #2C and a top 4 D?

From what I've seen Severson is more dynamic and has the better point shot. Jones has excellent upside for sure, but Severson is no slouch either IMO. We need to be looking for this type of trade as no one is trading us a Shea Weber for RNH/Eberle/Hall etc… it just won't happen. I think longterm we could definitely win with this group.

Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Hall-Draisaitl-Eberle
Korpikoski-Henrique-?

Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart-Severson
Gryba

Hell I think were close to a playoff team this year with that group.

That trade makes the team worse. Moving RNH for a 3rd pairing and 3c makes us a better team? Seriously?

lol ok. If we can trade Yakupov + Fayne + 2nd + Conditional First for Burns, a fourth and a roster player, I'll eat my crow. Seems to me like daydreaming more than any realistic possibility. If this was an option, it'd have happened already.

If San Jose is blowing it up absolutely possible. Gotta take advantage of teams on the decline.

Trading nuge would be the worst thing the oilers could do.

It's rather hit and miss. We've seen right here in Edmonton with Marincin, Klef and Schultz how things can drastically change year to year.

I don't see why not. There was only 27 players to get 65+ points last year. If RNH continues that's quite good company to be with.

Really don't think people actually look to see how many players actually put up these kinds of points.

I wonder if we get shunned like we did with Boston.

Yak would sure look good with Jumbo Joe though

Errrrr..... No way he's more dynamic. Jones is up and down the ice as much as Nurse is if not more. I disagree about the shot too, but I've only seen a bit of Severson so maybe I just haven't really seen him unload. Jones' shot is no joke either though. I imagine he's had a few pointers from 'human rocket launcher' Shea Weber.

I agree about the type of trade though. We gotta be targetting potential number 1s (near future) who are held back due to depth, or top pairs who are on dying contracts and will resign with us.

Don't ****ing trade Nuge

RNH highest season points is 56 while Henrique is 45. I would love to see his numbers playing with Hall-Eberle. Henrique style and cap hit 4M allows him to be #3C if Drai becomes our #2C.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Draisaitl is playing amazing on the wing for Hall and Nuge, the idea right now of pulling that apart and having Drai center Hall and Eberle is really short-sighted.

Nuge is a guy who will carve out 60+ points as a 100 foot player that this team absolutely needs. If you're watching him play each game, he's getting more and more physical as he gets some adult weight on his frame. He likes getting in there and doing the work.

Nuge is as untouchable as Hall is, don't kid yourselves. Unless he's headed out the door to solve our #1D problems, you can put good money down on him remaining in Edmonton as long as we can keep him.

And now that Drai is killing it in his time up here this season thus far, with no sign of falling off - or just being lucky to have his points, considering he drives play and back-checks, and goes into the corner to use his size for his line...he's not going anywhere, either. The kid is a star.

The odd men out in this formula we have, unfortunately, are Eberle and Yakupov. Moving one of our centers is brutally stupid, and y'all should feel bad for suggesting it. And for those who think McDavid had his ppg run going due to Yakupov are out of their minds. Now, I'm not saying Yakupov didn't play well with him, because he did. McDavid wasn't pulling Yak along behind him like a piano and gifting him points by association like some people are trying to convey - but McDavid absolutely will make anyone he plays with much better, and it's not going to cripple him to not have Yakupov there as a linemate when he comes back from the gym in a couple months time.

Shopping Eberle and Yakupov around, along with a 1st (which, let's be honest, is going to have a lot of value) can get us some very strong help on our blueline, and not truly hurt us all that much up front.

Eberle is a skilled forward that finishes and puts up points. On a team that doesn't perennially struggle, he could put up 70+ reliably on a top line. And a 1st round pick that is most likely going to fall 7-12th is still a pretty big deal around the NHL. Lottery-protected or not.

Perhaps we need to forget about trying to land a #1D, and slowly build up our blueline with 3/4 guys, so at the very least one guy isn't getting sorely over-worked.

Eberle and a 1st could go out, bring us back some badly needed D-help, and we would be a much better team for it. McD comes back, we have...

Hall - Nuge - Drai
Pou - McD - Yak
Fill in the blanks

*** - Sekera
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Gryba
Reinhart

The outlook of a move like that, vs trying to shake up our center depth, which is strong for the first time in a decade or longer, is astronomically better.

This was a good post so I'm going to respond to it here :P. I disagree with the idea that we can work with more 3/4s to 'even our roster out'. We've been trying that for a while now. Maybe we can get to the point of treading water, but I certainly don't want to be moving forward talent for more middling dmen. Go big or let McLellan wring what he can out of this group IMO.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So my question is who do people honestly think we'll be able to get for Eberle since they all are against moving RNH? Moving RNH would without a doubt get us the better return IMO, and I see no viable trade options for Eb's.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
So my question is who do people honestly think we'll be able to get for Eberle since they all are against moving RNH? Moving RNH would without a doubt get us the better return IMO, and I see no viable trade options for Eb's.

Well, Yak + Fayne + Picks for Burns + Roster Player + Picks was suggested, so clearly Eberle + Picks must be able to get us Jones and a roster player, right?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Moving RNH makes us worse period. McDavid is hurt. Draisaitl isn't ready to be an NHL center and has been very good at wing. Your trade gives us a worse center and another young d.

If you want the most value might as well move McDavid.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Well, Yak + Fayne + Picks for Burns + Roster Player + Picks was suggested, so clearly Eberle + Picks must be able to get us Jones and a roster player, right?

Well Nashvilles RW situation looks half decent so I don't see them moving Jones for a RW. As for San Jose why wouldn't they just move Burns up to RW if they were desperate to fill it? I just don't see the market out there for a RW. Maybe from New Jersey, but then who do you get in return to make the deal fair?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Considering there's almost 700 players in the NHL, it would be pretty difficult for anyone to be able to know if there are 'viable' trades.

That's a GM's job....All we can do is dream/speculate, etc., and we have no way of knowing if they're viable or not.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
This was a good post so I'm going to respond to it here :P. I disagree with the idea that we can work with more 3/4s to 'even our roster out'. We've been trying that for a while now. Maybe we can get to the point of treading water, but I certainly don't want to be moving forward talent for more middling dmen. Go big or let McLellan wring what he can out of this group IMO.

Hmm, no. We've been trying to play with four or five bottom pairing D and one or two mid pairing D for a while now, not trying to play with a bunch of mid-pairing D and failing.

The Oilers have a knack for going out and getting a bunch of bottom pairing Dmen, and calling them middle or top pairing, and that's why we can't stay out of the basement.

On most teams, Sekera is the better guy on their mid pairing, and on contenders, he's the weaker guy on their mid pairing. That's the truth. He's not a top pairing guy, but we're playing him like one, and that could work if he had someone better than him to play with. If we can't land a #1D (and to do so, we'd be talking about trading Hall or Nuge which should not happen, or McD which will NEVER happen), then we need more guys at or higher than Sekera's level, while still being considered mid-pairing guys.

We have Nurse and Klefbom, whom we are pitting a lot of hope and future success on, and thankfully, I believe they are doing everything to show they're going to be fantastic. But they're not going to be top pairing guys for multiple years, and in that time, we need to insulate them with at least one more top 4 Dman.

Schultz is playing better than years prior, but he just doesn't fit anymore. We need to replace him with a bonafide #3 to help Klefbom, while Nurse develops in the bottom pairing.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well Nashvilles RW situation looks half decent so I don't see them moving Jones for a RW. As for San Jose why wouldn't they just move Burns up to RW if they were desperate to fill it? I just don't see the market out there for a RW. Maybe from New Jersey, but then who do you get in return to make the deal fair?
We finally have decent center depth, let's not ****ing destroy that fit slightly more value in a trade.

And San Jose might want a natural winger and a bit more instead of Burns, especially if the winger is signed longer or for less. Eberle is a better winger than Burns is for example.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still don't see any major deals being made before the season's over, or at least the TDL. This is an evaluation/assessment year, even moreso with McDavid being gone. Chia will be looking to see who steps up in his absence.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Moving RNH makes us worse period. McDavid is hurt. Draisaitl isn't ready to be an NHL center and has been very good at wing. Your trade gives us a worse center and another young d.

If you want the most value might as well move McDavid.

I'm not looking at this year, I'm looking at the next 2-3 years. IMO making a deal like that rounds out the roster to the point where we can actually start competing when the team is healthy. Also it gives us an out on J. Schultz so we aren't forced into giving him a big 4M dollar long term contract. It also saves us about 1M this year and next to bring in more help. Severson IMO could be our top pairing guy within 2 years, at the very least he's anchoring our second pairing. And its not like Henrique is chopped liver, he plays against the other teams best and out scores them as well.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I still don't see any major deals being made before the season's over, or at least the TDL. This is an evaluation/assessment year, even moreso with McDavid being gone. Chia will be looking to see who steps up in his absence.

Chia is the one who said he will evaluate for 20 games before making trades/moves.

That, in itself, should indicate that he won't wait out the year before attempting to change the 'makeup'.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Considering there's almost 700 players in the NHL, it would be pretty difficult for anyone to be able to know if there are 'viable' trades.

That's a GM's job....All we can do is dream/speculate, etc., and we have no way of knowing if they're viable or not.

Look around the league at the rosters. Not a lot of teams needing RW's that can afford to move a dman.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010

And thus far, it's Drai who has stepped up. Somewhat of a rough deal for Eberle, who plays with Pouliot and Letestu now. Is he really going to be able to show his coach how much he can truly step up in McDavid's absence?

I think, when McD gets back, and Eberle gets an opportunity to play on his wing, that's when we'll really know which of our wingers is expendable.

Hell, maybe Eberle decides he can be a LW and makes Pouliot the odd man out, time will tell. But right now, with Ebs being more valuable to the NHL than Yakupov, and Yakupov showing in 12 games that he plays well with McD...that does put the onus on Eberle to keep his job.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We finally have decent center depth, let's not ****ing destroy that fit slightly more value in a trade.

And San Jose might want a natural winger and a bit more instead of Burns, especially if the winger is signed longer or for less. Eberle is a better winger than Burns is for example.

When Anton no points Lander is your 3rd line center, you don't have decent center depth.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'm not looking at this year, I'm looking at the next 2-3 years. IMO making a deal like that rounds out the roster to the point where we can actually start competing when the team is healthy. Also it gives us an out on J. Schultz so we aren't forced into giving him a big 4M dollar long term contract. It also saves us about 1M this year and next to bring in more help. Severson IMO could be our top pairing guy within 2 years, at the very least he's anchoring our second pairing. And its not like Henrique is chopped liver, he plays against the other teams best and out scores them as well.
Severson could also be nothing better than a bottom pairing guy. To unproven. The trade could easily end up being RNH for our future 3c and a bottom pairing d. Too risky.

McDeathbyCheerios*

When Anton no points Lander is your 3rd line center, you don't have decent center depth.
And having our top 2 centers having less than a full season added together is a good idea? Go away MacT

Then we make a trade for a 3c. Don't have to move your 1c to do that

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why is there a need to move Eberle or RNH? It is okay to have scoring depth past top 6 considering injuries and Yak's sweet 2 yr extension.
We just need to get rid of Fayne's contract and see if Klefbom-Schultz can hold up as a 2nd pairing long term. The way Nurse is playing we might just need an upgrade over Gryba long term.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Look around the league at the rosters. Not a lot of teams needing RW's that can afford to move a dman.

Eric Gelinas would be an interesting addition. Big guy who can shoot.

I think he might be soft as butter and not quite up to snuff defensively though. That still sounds better than Schultz. Can he play the right side though?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Chia is the one who said he will evaluate for 20 games before making trades/moves.

That, in itself, should indicate that he won't wait out the year before attempting to change the 'makeup'.

The key is finding a trading partner. I don't think you find much unless you dangle Hall or RNH.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Severson could also be nothing better than a bottom pairing guy. To unproven. The trade could easily end up being RNH for our future 3c and a bottom pairing d. Too risky.

Henrique could just as easily anchor the #2 spot behind Mcdavid at a very affordable 4M per year. Severson who's 21 is if I'm not mistaken already on New Jersey's second pairing playing behind Larsson. I don't see him as a 3rd pairing guy longterm, in the lineup I posted any of the 3 pairings could be used interchangeably IMO, and Schultz could just as easily be bumped down to play with Reinhart. If were bringing in Severson I see him playing second pairing and as the PPQB on the 1st power play unit for this year and next. Long term I could see him taking over the top pairing duties on the right side.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
The key is finding a trading partner. I don't think you find much unless you dangle Hall or RNH.

Eberle has value as a skilled winger. Teams aren't stupid, they know he can put up points on a good line.

What it comes down to, is what's the fair trade when you also throw in additions like our 1st pick, and potentially a prospect or two on a team's radar.

These deals happen. The main reason posters on this board don't believe they exist, is because we haven't had a decent GM in the seat for a long time. People also need to understand we're not getting a bonafide #1D in any scenario that isn't Hall/RNH/McJesus on the line. And they have to understand that it's ok to get another top 4D in the system to bolster the blueline.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Eric Gelinas would be an interesting addition. Big guy who can shoot.

I think he might be soft as butter and not quite up to snuff defensively though. That still sounds better than Schultz. Can he play the right side though?

I don't think he does but I could be wrong. Severson on the other hand ticks off a lot of checkmarks for the player were looking for on the backend. I don't want to deal RNH more then anyone else, but I realize we have to give something to get something. Henrique+Severson IMO makes us a better team today and longterm which is why I'd consider it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why is there a need to move Eberle or RNH? It is okay to have scoring depth past top 6 considering injuries and Yak's sweet 2 yr extension.
We just need to get rid of Fayne's contract and see if Klefbom-Schultz can hold up as a 2nd pairing long term. The way Nurse is playing we might just need an upgrade over Gryba long term.

Are you prepared to pay Schultz big money long term? Because thats what he'll be looking for this year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Where is this RNH trade nonsense coming from? I would only trade Nuge if there is a better C lined up. Draisaitl is not the answer until 2017 and McDavid still needs sheltering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad