Trade Rumor Thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why not acquire Nathan Horton's and Joffrey Lupul's cap hits and then trade away some players in exchange of even more draft picks, when they have already decided to tank?

They probably will at the deadline. I doubt they'd take Horton right now if his 6m has to be paid out by the team though.

Theodore, Pickard, Miller will see big raises next year so I doubt they'll have trouble reaching the cap floor.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
They probably will at the deadline. I doubt they'd take Horton right now if his 6m has to be paid out by the team though.

Theodore, Pickard, Miller will see big raises next year so I doubt they'll have trouble reaching the cap floor.

Can't take Horton's deal because it's not insured and costs actual cash. But I'm definitely on board with taking on Lupul if the Leafs send over one of their waiver-exempt prospects (Soshnikov, Timashov, Johnsson).

Lupul only has one year left on his deal, and I think it'd be a great story for him to return to the ice this year - we know he can play, but the Leafs won't let him, so we offer the best opportunity. I've already proposed that trade on the main board, but it's a 50/50 split between TOR fans who figure they should just keep him and those who want to move him so they don't go into LTIR and screw up their cap situation for rookie bonuses.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Wasant sure where to put this but according to our beat writer, you guys turned down a trade with caps where they would have sent Vegas Marcus johnansson return for not taking Schmidt

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Wasant sure where to put this but according to our beat writer, you guys turned down a trade with caps where they would have sent Vegas Marcus johnansson return for not taking Schmidt

I'm probably not familiar enough with either player but why would they do that?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Sounds good to me. I always figured McPhee wanted Schmidt no matter what.

To me, a defenseman who will likely be in our top pair and could be a Knight for many, many years is much more valuable than a forward who probably wouldn't fit into our long-term plans and likely gets traded as a rental in 2 years time. I understand the appeal of selecting such forwards in the exp draft to build our prospect pool with the picks we get in exchange for trading them, but we already grabbed a handful of those guys from teams that WEREN'T offering d-men like Schmidt. ;)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I'm okay with that move although I though MOJO was much older for some reason. Still, I think this shows that GMGM knows who his building block guys are, had we gotten mojo he'd have been traded at the deadline and we already have guys like Perron and Neal that we can trade.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
if true, that's a little surprising to me. schmidt is good, but johansson is a 50 point player with room to improve

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres fan here. Any interest in Zach Bogosian? He's had a couple poor seasons under Bylsma, but almost everyone on the roster has. He probably rebounds under Housley.

Sabres have Brendan Guhle coming up, as early as this season, and Bogosian might be the odd man out.

Thanks in advance.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Knights need to take advantage of remaining RFAs, especially unsigned centers in Western Canada. There are three, each easily at the top of the depth chart in LV. The teams do not want to lose these valuable assets but must be overcome. McPhee needs to assemble a package to offer around and see which team negotiates. otherwise the door will close and LV will be kitten weak down the middle.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Sabres fan here. Any interest in Zach Bogosian? He's had a couple poor seasons under Bylsma, but almost everyone on the roster has. He probably rebounds under Housley.

The Knights could have picked him up for free in the expansion draft and chose another path.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Sabres have Brendan Guhle coming up, as early as this season, and Bogosian might be the odd man out.

Thanks in advance.

Not now. Give him a chance to rebound under Housley - if he doesn't, maybe Vegas can trade for him at the deadline (when they'll have some spots available on the blue line) or next summer. But I doubt we'd trade anything of consequence - we would likely only be offering Clarkson's contract or one of our AHLers. The only advantage for Buffalo would be the cap space.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The Knights could have picked him up for free in the expansion draft and chose another path.

I thought the 6th and exposing Carrier was to protect both Ullmark and Bogosian? Could be wrong.

Not now. Give him a chance to rebound under Housley - if he doesn't, maybe Vegas can trade for him at the deadline (when they'll have some spots available on the blue line) or next summer. But I doubt we'd trade anything of consequence - we would likely only be offering Clarkson's contract or one of our AHLers. The only advantage for Buffalo would be the cap space.

Thinking something similar. Bogosian rebounds under Housley, then move him for a prospect at the TDL. What would Vegas offer in that scenario?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I thought the 6th and exposing Carrier was to protect both Ullmark and Bogosian? Could be wrong.

The general consensus seems to be that McPhee wanted either Ullmark or Carrier. The 6th was a bribe to NOT take Ullmark. At the expansion draft, McPhee specifically said he had his eye on two players from Buffalo, and the 6th round pick was offered to not take one of them, so he took the other guy and the pick.

Thinking something similar. Bogosian rebounds under Housley, then move him for a prospect at the TDL. What would Vegas offer in that scenario?

Nothing.
We're stockpiling picks/prospects right now, so we wouldn't be trading them for guys that aren't in our long-term plans. Think the other way around: we're offering our own players who aren't in our long-term plans (Perron, Neal, Garrison, etc.) in exchange for picks/prospects.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Now that you mention it I think you're right. I guess my point was that there's really no point to spend potentially decent assets on a player that could have been had for free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad