Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread V: "Trade 40 Goal Scorer NBD" (3/8: Getzlaf re-signs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun and Sportsnet is on Hockeycentral FAN590. Iginla. Francis believes Iginla will command $7M-$7.5M this summer as a free agent.

That's okay. We only want him for this year.

And I love the people that say no to Iginla yet we have people clamoring for Clowe. Amazing.

bruins seguin 19*

something bruin

bruins are up to somthing.... chris bourque waived.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
seriously? We are not winning or losing because that that Korps-Lisin trade. Korps is a solid 3rd liner, but that doesn't mean what what he is doing in the desert is going to be what he would be doing here in NY.

Can we get past that? Kind of sad we are still harping on that MARGINAL transaction.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Couldn't the Rangers, in theory, make a deal with a cap floor team to acquire a player for basically no cash?

My understanding was a team could keep contract dollars. So if NYR was to, say, make a deal that opened them up cap space by having the incoming player mostly cap hit by the dealing team, we could make it easier to keep Gaborik next year, correct?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
seriously? We are not winning or losing because that that Korps-Lisin trade. Korps is a solid 3rd liner, but that doesn't mean what what he is doing in the desert is going to be what he would be doing here in NY.

Can we get past that? Kind of sad we are still harping on that MARGINAL transaction.

I'm not harping on Korpikoski or upset about the trade. But if people are gona discuss Clowe then why not a younger korpikoski who is quicker and more efficient as far as providing an all around game.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Couldn't the Rangers, in theory, make a deal with a cap floor team to acquire a player for basically no cash?

My understanding was a team could keep contract dollars. So if NYR was to, say, make a deal that opened them up cap space by having the incoming player mostly cap hit by the dealing team, we could make it easier to keep Gaborik next year, correct?
They can eat up to half the contract with the amount of cap-hit eaten proportional to the dollar amount. Not sure if that answers your question.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Yes. But I am sure it would cost A LOT more in assets. They have plenty of cap space for pretty much any move(s) they want to make this year. I think it would be hard to find a team willing to eat a long-term contract like that.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well my greater point is, say, the Rangers trade player A, who makes 4 million dollars a year to a cap floor team for player B, who is slightly less talented than player A, makes 4 million a year, but the cap floor team keeps 2 million of his hit.

The rangers have, consequently added 2 million in space without really changing much.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Well my greater point is, say, the Rangers trade player A, who makes 4 million dollars a year to a cap floor team for player B, who is slightly less talented than player A, makes 4 million a year, but the cap floor team keeps 2 million of his hit.

The rangers have, consequently added 2 million in space without really changing much.
And the cap floor team picks up another $2 million in salary without really changing much.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
You always apologize when it comes to this. Which is weird cause you know a thing or two about how these things work and the bottom line was if you want a player you always figure out how to keep'em. Torts was not interested in Korpikoski. Sather's boys got excited, yet again, on a small sample size of Lisin's game. Other teams usually get value, some kind of talent that can at least play a shift. Lisin was absolute zero. They had him on the first line.

Waste of an asset from a team that can never really afford to just 'go with their gut'.

Agreed with the bolded. But the Rangers, for better or worse, don't let RFAs push them around with contracts. Especially unproven players. And Korps people were leaking stuff about him being "disgusted" with the Rangers offer, which was basically just the QO. And that's not considering the concern about him leaving for the KHL.

When it came to trading him, the Rangers probably had to decide between getting back a wild card player like Lisin or a lower-ish pick like a 3rd rounder. Figure between what Sanguinetti and Boyle got in return. I mean look at what Andrew Ladd fetched the next summer. A KHL bound defenseman and a 2nd rounder. And he was/is a much better player.

In retrospect I would have preferred the pick(s), but that's probably a side effect of being on this board so long. I think we tend to value draft picks ever more than real hockey management.

Either way there was not going to be a perfect deal. I guess I just don't see peoples obsession with the deal.

On a side note I will never understand why Torts didn't absolutely love him. With more ice time (and production) and Torts endorsement he probably would still be a Ranger. He seems like such a Torts player.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

I think the deal with that is, if you trade a player, you can retain up to 50% of salary AND cap hit.
So a player making 10 mil in salary and 6 mil in cap you can trade and retain
5 mil salary, 3 mil cap
2 mil salary, 1.2 mil cap

But nothing like only salary or only cap.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
No Iginla. Can't say enough how much he isn't a good addition.

It would have been nice 2-3 years ago.

I have to believe he is just about finished. He is not the type to sulk or not give 100% because of the situation surrounding the team.

It's a situation you have to monitor though in case for some reason the price is lower than expected

As much as I agree with you and don't want him given the price, I just know if he winds up in Pittsburgh he'll score some huge goals in the playoffs.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
And we can't move players around to accomodate a player of Iginla's stature for a cup run? The guy does everything. Veteran leader who will stick up for his teammates, scores, grinds, plays with jam.

Well being that Nash, Gabby and Cally all look best and play best on the right, I would say just short of trading Gaborik first, no, they can't really just move anyone around.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Adding Iginla for the playoffs only is intriguing, but the price would be steep.

It would be a big cost for a rental. I think teams bidding for him might have next contract aspirations in mind.

To me, Gonchar sounds like a more likely rental. Maybe David Jones.

I think Nash could be an effective player on the left side. More so than Gaborik or Callahan.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Adding Iginla for the playoffs only is intriguing, but the price would be steep.

It would be a big cost for a rental. I think teams bidding for him might have next contract aspirations in mind.

I think Nash could be an effective player on the left side. More so than Gaborik or Callahan.
Jones is signed for another 3 seasons at $4 million per. Would have like him as a rental last season, though.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Well being that Nash, Gabby and Cally all look best and play best on the right, I would say just short of trading Gaborik first, no, they can't really just move anyone around.
Iginla can't play move to LW for a chance at a cup. I think he could manage.

I like the idea of Gonchar. But it depends on the health of the defense and if Hamrlik can be a decent #6.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And we can't move players around to accomodate a player of Iginla's stature for a cup run? The guy does everything. Veteran leader who will stick up for his teammates, scores, grinds, plays with jam.

Of course he is a great player. Gaborik, Nash and Callahan all look like crap on the left side. Who are you moving? It's not as easy as to just flip them around and expect them to produce.

Also, what are you giving up? McIlrath? Miller? Kreider? One of them will have to go.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Iginla can't play move to LW for a chance at a cup. I think he could manage.

You say it like it is an easy move. For some players it is. For many it is not. It's not as easy as to just say, go out and play on the other side. It has already been proven this season that it would be difficult for players like Gaborik, Nash and Callahan. Why is Iginla different?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Of course he is a great player. Gaborik, Nash and Callahan all look like crap on the left side. Who are you moving? It's not as easy as to just flip them around and expect them to produce.

Also, what are you giving up? McIlrath? Miller? Kreider? One of them will have to go.
Nash and Callahan haven't had a shift on the left side this season. Gaborik has looked like crap just as often as a right wing.

For me the side that wingers play on is one of the most overstated concerns. One they enter the zone, they're just wingers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nash and Callahan haven't had a shift on the left side this season. Gaborik has looked like crap just as often as a right wing.

For me the side that wingers play on is one of the most overstated concerns. One they enter the zone, they're just wingers.

Callahan has played the left side in his tenure with the Rangers. It has not gone well.

Nash has played on the left side as well already. He has continually said he is far more comfortable on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad