Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kershaw

Was watching that too. Interesting to say the least. Sather is a stubborn SOB when it comes to trades. He gets deals done on his terms. The Avs are shooting for the moon with this deal (and rightfully so, ROR is one extremely solid player) and I just don't see the Rangers being the team desperate enough to overpay.

Am I the only one who thinks ROR is overrated? He wasn't even PPG in junior hockey. Here is a post that basically summarizes my thoughts on ROR. Credits to birddog on the Leafs board, who has watched him in Jr. He just screams Mike York 2.0. Not a guy you give DZ up for.

#1 potential comes with a pedigree. ROR never scored 20 goals even in junior. ROR never had a PPG in junior. ROR played on one of the worst team in the OHL -- Erie. Sidney Crosby, Lindros, Tavares etc. never played on a team that bad because they made there team much better. ROR was a minus player last year. ROR's line-mate, Landeskog, was a plus 20. ROR is supposed to be a premier penalty killer, but he was 9th on the team with just over a minute per game short handed. Jay McClement was first with almost 3 times as much, at over 3 minutes. ROR was drafted in the second round because there were concerns about his skating and size. He has improved his skating, but he will never be an elite skater. ROR does not pocess a great shot. ROR had 62 hits last year. Landeskog had 219. ROR will never be an elite center. In fact I am going to go out on a limb and say he may never top 55 points. He certainly might but 65 points would be his absolute top end. He simply isn't this dominant center that many are making him out to be. He is a gritty, two way center, with some passing ability -- but he will never be in the HOF.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
My guess is ROR + Barrie for MDZ and another piece like St Croix. Avs probably asked for something asinine like Miller or Kreider instead of MSC.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
When ROR's name originally surfaced I thought a deal around MDZ could make sense for both teams. But I still doubt the validity of this rumor because I can't see Slats paying ROR.

Personally, I would be ok with it though it is admittedly a gamble.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
ROR & Johnson/Barrie/Elliot for MDZ & Boyle?

I honestly think the contract demands make it pretty much a nonstarter given the cap next year and frankly I think this team just needs some time to be left alone and gel...

But I have to say something like that would be intriguing just from a value/fit POV.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Why would O'Reilly for MDZ straight up even make sense for the Rangers?

He's not an upgrade over Richards. Granted much younger, ROR might develop into a top line center. But compared to Stepan is he an upgrade? I'm not so sure about that. So add another center, a position that you are already have depth at to add a guy that might not be better than any of your top two centers. Plus at the cost of your best offensive defenseman? What did the Rangers go a full decade before they had a 40 pt defenseman?

I hate this one.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

He's not an upgrade over Richards. Granted much younger, ROR might develop into a top line center. But compared to Stepan is he an upgrade? I'm not so sure about that. So add another center, a position that you are already have depth at to add a guy that might not be better than any of your top two centers. Plus at the cost of your best offensive defenseman? What did the Rangers go a full decade before they had a 40 pt defenseman?

I hate this one.

O'Reilly is better than Stepan.

I'm not sure Torts is in love with the way MDZ plays.

Championship*

I wouldnt trade MDZ for ROR straight up let alone add to it. Sherman seems to have the Howson syndrome.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
O'Reilly is better than Stepan.

I'm not sure Torts is in love with the way MDZ plays.

I don't agree with that. I think they are similar. But if they were to trade for another left handed center would they look for a significant upgrade? Is he a significant upgrade over Steps? I just don't see this one. Plus this team already has 6 natural centers active on the roster.

Richards
Stepan
Boyle
Miller
Powe
Halpern

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

I hate this one.

If ever this deal gets done (doubt it), I think it will certainly mean the end of Richards with the Rangers. Will be bought out in the summer of 2014.

Kershaw

Dater guesses that the d-man being offered in return was Shane O'Brien. Yuck.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If the Rangers were looking for a big shakeup:

ROR & EJ (+?) for Stepan & MDZ could be interesting.

I don't think they need that big of a shakeup, and EJ has been bad. But would be an interesting scenario.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't agree with that. I think they are similar. But if they were to trade for another left handed center would they look for a significant upgrade? Is he a significant upgrade over Steps? I just don't see this one. Plus this team already has 6 natural centers active on the roster.

Richards
Stepan
Boyle
Miller
Powe
Halpern

Boyle and Halpern are 4th liners. Miller is honestly more suited to wing.

Powe is a winger.

I am not in favor of MDZ for O'Reilly only.

Maybe:

MDZ + Boyle for O'Reilly ++

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I don't think they need that big of a shakeup, and EJ has been bad. But would be an interesting scenario.

I would do that if Boyle was in place of Stepan. That makes a ton of sense from the Rangers.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006

Can't see Colorado moving EJ. The reason they are looking for a LHD is because they need someone to play with EJ.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
If ever this deal gets done (doubt it), I think it will certainly mean the end of Richards with the Rangers. Will be bought out in the summer of 2014.

I know there's been talk of that but, that's a costly buyout no? Plus wasn't Richards contract front loaded so his actual salary was peanuts later on? Team looking to reach the floor would like be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad