Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know. I've been hearing for years on this board about how X player will fix our powerplay right away. Heard it with MDZ, Gaborik, Richards, Nash etc. I don't think it's the personnel at this point.

I don't know much about Barrie but he's played 14 games in the NHL and Colorado doesn't exactly have the deepest blueline. Not sure he immediately becomes out No. 5. I'm also certain I don't like Stralman as No. 4.

I would have to believe Barrie would play more than Bickel who was in the line-up for multiple games. Stralman is already playing 18-20 minutes. Major stretch for him to go to 21?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It would be a waste of his abilities imo, especially now that he's gotten competent at faceoffs.

Line projections can be so iffy a year from now - look at our team last year and this year. But what if we rolled this in a few years:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-ROR-Callahan
St. Croix-Miller-Fasth
Mashinter-Powe-Lindberg?

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-McIlrath
Barrie-Stralman

I'm anticipating one of our LW prospects like Kreider to pan out. St. Croix I think could turn out to be an excellent playmaking winger. Either way, this lineup could be very different based on our return for Gaborik. And we'd also have the money for one other high-priced UFA acquisition. We could be very deep for many years.

Not saying they should or should not move him, more that if that "problem' (which isn't really a problem) arises, both Richards and Stepan can play wing.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
I would have to believe Barrie would play more than Bickel who was in the line-up for multiple games. Stralman is already playing 18-20 minutes. Major stretch for him to go to 21?

I think it kind of is. I tend to think he's playing more than he should be right now. He was okay against Washington (not great), but I thought he was absolutely terrible against the Islanders.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think it kind of is. I tend to think he's playing more than he should be right now. He was okay against Washington (not great), but I thought he was absolutely terrible against the Islanders.

Del Zotto has those games too. I guess I just don't see the HUGE drop off from MDZ to Stralman. I see that drop off as smaller than the change from Boyle to ROR.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If the Avs move ROR for a d-man, I am pretty sure they will want to move someone else out. They have (8) NHL d-men now. They just have too many bottom-pairing guys.

SOB would be a fit here too on the bottom-pairing.

I'd rather see what McIlrath has first. I keep reading how much SOB sucks.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Stralman is averaging 16 minutes of ice time. If you take out the minutes he played white Girardi was injured, he is probably down to 12 or 14 and Torts would like to keep it that way.

Stralman played almost 23 minutes in Newark on Tuesday and nearly 27 against the Islanders Thursday at the Garden, both season highs. He finished plus-one for the two games and manned the point on the top power play unit against the Isles.

“I tried to fill (Girardi’s) defensive part of the game. I don’t think I quite lived up to that, but I think I played some good hockey and some good minutes,†Stralman said Sunday morning, adding that the increased minutes were an adjustment but not foreign, since see saw some significant ice time during his previous two-year stint with Columbus.

John Tortorella wasn’t exactly satisfied with the experiment, though he sprinkled in compliments when asked how he felt Stralman handled the minutes.

“Ehhhhhhhhhhhh,†the Rangers coach said before Sunday night’s game. “That’s a guy that has grown on me. He competes, but it was a lot of minutes for him. We’re hoping we won’t have to do that with him … But with Danny out, it put a lot of pressure on people … I think it’ll help (Stralman) in the long run as far as conditioning, but we’re comfortable how we divvy them up hen we have our full six.â€

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Stralman is averaging 16 minutes of ice time. If you take out the minutes he played white Girardi was injured, he is probably down to 12 or 14 and Torts would like to keep it that way.

Very good find. If Torts isn't comfortable with it then I would have to wonder why the Rangers offered MDZ to begin with. Maybe Barrie is that other defenseman who would be coming back. He has been playing big minutes with EJ out.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He is A LOT better than Bickel. He is a useful 3rd pairing d-man with some experience. He crosses the line sometimes, plays hard, talks a lot.

He has far more skill than Bickel.

I saw a lot of O'Brien when he was in Nashville in 10-11. Very, very unimpressed by his game. His lack of mobility is just as bad as Stu's.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hyperbole is my default? The only hyperbole in this thread are people bending over backwards with misinformation in order to try to make this deal work for the NYR

For starters, the prevailing thoughts that O'Reilly is just upset with Colorado management and would be willing to move off of his silly demands to play for the Rangers.

Elsewhere in this thread, I've seen thoughts about how Stralman can take MDZ's minutes, and how Skjei = McDonagh.

Some of these things are more ridiculous than others. All of them are not true to some extent.

Silly posts aside, as I've said before, if the Rangers are seriously considering this, I can't for a moment begin to think that they're tossing aside the possible cap implications. Either the numbers being reported are wrong, and the Rangers know they can sign him for less than people are speculating, or they feel that he's entirely worth the numbers he's asking for and he's a #1 center in the making.

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts:
What's that line, "You really have to love someone before you can hate them?" Boy, does that remind me of Ryan O'Reilly and the Colorado Avalanche. Last year, they couldn't say enough good things about each other. Now it's like Heather Mills and Paul McCartney. Ugly contract negotiations, the captaincy (which O'Reilly certainly thought he was going to get). Both sides have accused the other of allowing "non-principals" to "meddle" in the process. It's a train wreck.

There's far more animosity in these negotiations than there should be. When there's that much tension, there's definitely a chance that the player is looking to get out of dodge.

In terms of Stralman eating MDZ's minutes, I don't think that's the plan. I think the Rangers feel like they have to get a D back in the deal, and that Barrie is a guy who can share the minutes with Stralman as he eases into a steady top-4 role.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I wouldn't trade MDZ for ROR at this point. I feel like NYR has already put up with much of the growing pains from MDZ. He's been very young for his time here so far, and I think he's going to grow up a bit and take the next step before too long. He's also the only PMD on the roster. ROR is holing out on the team that supposedly wanted to be captain of because he wants a contract that Sather wouldn't give to anybody on this team. Doing that trade would be opening up a hole to address an area that isn't really a weakness, and doing it to maybe sign ROR to a contract that goes against the rules Sather has made everyone else play by so far. I don't like the idea.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Guys, it is okay to disagree but lets not turn this into a flaming war. Keep it decent and on topic. We are all on the same side, just differing takes on how to get to the end goal.

Nope, not removing this, it deserves a double warning!!

:laugh:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Folks, keep it clean. Do not insult other posters.

Guys, it is okay to disagree but lets not turn this into a flaming war. Keep it decent and on topic. We are all on the same side, just differing takes on how to get to the end goal.

Nope, not removing this, it deserves a double warning!!

:laugh:

Do not flame other posters.

Guys, no need for all the flaming.

Oh ****

Alright the next person who flames anyone can't say they weren't warned!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What in the world just happened? :laugh: Safe to say some posts got deleted?

There's far more animosity in these negotiations than there should be. When there's that much tension, there's definitely a chance that the player is looking to get out of dodge.

That's all I'm saying here. Something smells strange with the whole situation.

Kershaw

He is A LOT better than Bickel. He is a useful 3rd pairing d-man with some experience. He crosses the line sometimes, plays hard, talks a lot.

He has far more skill than Bickel.

This guy has been a scapegoat wherever he's played in his career. He's constantly on the other end of highlight reel plays, making him literally look like a pylon:

His underlying numbers are also terrible, it's a myth that he's a good bottom pair defenseman. Sure he's tough, so is Bickel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest