Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would like to bring up McIlrath for a cup of coffee before any trade is made. If he' solid, even if we don't get a D back we'll be solid on the back end. If we get Barrie all the better.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about going after a guy like Anthony Stewart, Chris Stewarts big bro'

I forgot all about him but he fought McIlrath last night

He's buried in the minors in LA

He's 2 years removed from a 14-25-39 season and throws his body around nicely - only 28 as well

I've always felt he's had crazy potential and has been buried on bad teams, BIG body as well.

He'd slot in amazingly on the 3rd-4th lines....

I think a priority should be a Theo Peckham like player and then a Stewart like player (maybe Mashinter can be that guy however)

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Gaborik - Richards - Callahan
Pyatt - Boyle - Miller
Stewart/Asham - Halpern - Stewart/Mashinter

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - DelZotto
Straalman - Peckham

With Peckham and Stewart it regulate Asham to not playing everyday because we won't lack toughness without him in the lineup, plus Stewart has some hands and will provide more offensive pop in our bottom 6.

Stewart is lazy. He would not fit on this team at all.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Barrie would be capable of playing on the 3rd pairing. That is what the team needs if MDZ is moved.

I would love Barrie on our PP. I think he'd be more effective at it than MDZ, frankly, and I think he and Stralman would make a great tandem.

I would give a LOT to get ROR+Barrie. I don't think MDZ+Boyle gets it done, but I really wish it will.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
ROR's defense is amazing. However, his offense is what worries me.

Was last year a fluke? Was Landeskog a huge part of why his offensive numbers went up?

If we acquire him and he maintains 55-60 points to go along with his defense, then it'd be a steal of a trade.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Do people just not realize the incredible leaps of faith that are being made to justify this type of deal working out?

Cant wait until the next guy becomes available - maybe those discussions will center around something more feasible.

I know hyperbole is your default, but I'm curious what leaps of faith you see.

And this coming from someone who isn't really on board with making a trade at this point.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would like to bring up McIlrath for a cup of coffee before any trade is made. If he' solid, even if we don't get a D back we'll be solid on the back end. If we get Barrie all the better.

If the Avs move ROR for a d-man, I am pretty sure they will want to move someone else out. They have (8) NHL d-men now. They just have too many bottom-pairing guys.

SOB would be a fit here too on the bottom-pairing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
ROR's defense is amazing. However, his offense is what worries me.

Was last year a fluke? Was Landeskog a huge part of why his offensive numbers went up?

If we acquire him and he maintains 55-60 points to go along with his defense, then it'd be a steal of a trade.

I am going to be honest and say ROR and Landeskog fed off of eachother but considering the Rangers have Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, Kreider, Miller and Pyatt, I would think he would be playing with some talented players in NY as well.

Fleury4ever

Mar 20, 2011
Washington, DC
That I agree with, but I would think the right trade is to trade MDZ for a similar player that can play the right side, no?

I think this is where the risk comes in, and where champs separate from the rest. You are unlikely to find a team to give you a slightly better version of MDZ unless there is a huge cap problem or they are a rental.

Seems more likely to me the Rangers will have to take the plunge, not have a pure OFD for awhile and have to find the right rental.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I am going to be honest and say ROR and Landeskog fed off of eachother but considering the Rangers have Nash, Gaborik, Callahan, Kreider, Miller and Pyatt, I would think he would be playing with some talented players in NY as well.

:laugh: at including Pyatt in that list. Not saying he isn't talented, but I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed on him being a productive offensive player.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I know hyperbole is your default, but I'm curious what leaps of faith you see.

And this coming from someone who isn't really on board with making a trade at this point.

Hyperbole is my default? The only hyperbole in this thread are people bending over backwards with misinformation in order to try to make this deal work for the NYR

For starters, the prevailing thoughts that O'Reilly is just upset with Colorado management and would be willing to move off of his silly demands to play for the Rangers.

Elsewhere in this thread, I've seen thoughts about how Stralman can take MDZ's minutes, and how Skjei = McDonagh.

Some of these things are more ridiculous than others. All of them are not true to some extent.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Well, for starters, the prevailing thoughts that O'Reilly is just upset with Colorado management and would be willing to move off of his silly demands to play for the Rangers.

Elsewhere in this thread, I've seen thoughts about how Stralman can take MDZ's minutes, and how Skjei = McDonagh.

Some of these things are more ridiculous than others. All of them are not true to some extent.

Those and Derek Stepan will be the #3 center when his line is the only one that has consistently produced over the last two weeks.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ

Exactly. Pair him with a Nash and the numbers will be no problem.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Those and Derek Stepan will be the #3 center when his line is the only one that has consistently produced over the last two weeks.

Dare I say Nash and Hagelin have a hell of a lot more to do with that production than Stepan? Not bashing Step, love the guy, but he's not the catalyst on that line.

EDIT: Also what would be wrong with that? Can a team only have 2 good centers? That kind of center depth wins cups. Richards-ROR/Step-Step/ROR-Miller/Boyle is ****ing solid.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

I think ROR and Callahan would work excellently together.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hyperbole is my default? The only hyperbole in this thread are people bending over backwards with misinformation in order to try to make this deal work for the NYR

For starters, the prevailing thoughts that O'Reilly is just upset with Colorado management and would be willing to move off of his silly demands to play for the Rangers.

Ah. Yeah, I missed most of those because I tend to ignore the ridiculous posters.

I don't think it's out of the question that ROR is upset with Colorado management. What exactly he's upset about would be open to speculation, but the indications are there. Mostly in the report that he refuses to budge off of his initial asking price. What he might be unhappy with is the Avs front office simply refusing to offer a term he could work with.

Pugs35

Jul 11, 2006
PA
I would love Barrie on our PP. I think he'd be more effective at it than MDZ, frankly, and I think he and Stralman would make a great tandem.

I would give a LOT to get ROR+Barrie. I don't think MDZ+Boyle gets it done, but I really wish it will.

I don't know. I've been hearing for years on this board about how X player will fix our powerplay right away. Heard it with MDZ, Gaborik, Richards, Nash etc. I don't think it's the personnel at this point.

I don't know much about Barrie but he's played 14 games in the NHL and Colorado doesn't exactly have the deepest blueline. Not sure he immediately becomes out No. 5. I'm also certain I don't like Stralman as No. 4.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The upheaval this "deal" would cause makes me believe it's hardly worth it.

I meant more in the future. center depth of Richards, ROR and Stepan (however they fall) would be very good. If in the future they want Miller to play center (I think he should play wing personally) than Stepan can play wing. So can Richards.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Not impossible or improbable for Stepan to be converted to a wing. He played there last year and had some success.

It would be a waste of his abilities imo, especially now that he's gotten competent at faceoffs.

Line projections can be so iffy a year from now - look at our team last year and this year. But what if we rolled this in a few years:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-ROR-Callahan
St. Croix-Miller-Fasth
Mashinter-Powe-Lindberg?

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-McIlrath
Barrie-Stralman

I'm anticipating one of our LW prospects like Kreider to pan out. St. Croix I think could turn out to be an excellent playmaking winger. Either way, this lineup could be very different based on our return for Gaborik. And we'd also have the money for one other high-priced UFA acquisition. We could be very deep for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino