Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yeah thats true, although i think a lot of habs fans have said that he plays better at right wing (his offside)
Maybe his all around play is better from RW (especially if the team employs a LW D type system) but i believe his 30 goal year was from the LW. Either way, to me he is very JVR like.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Maybe his all around play is better from RW (especially if the team employs a LW D type system) but i believe his 30 goal year was from the LW. Either way, to me he is very JVR like.

Thats fair, I think if he was put in a sheltered situation like you said and focussed almost strictly on scoring than he could succeed. All hypothetical though because I doubt Montreal Management would want to trade us one of their only young assets:D

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I think a deal around Gardiner for Weber makes sense of Montreal retains quite a bit. We improve on the back end immediately. Montreal improves for the future. The du
Off in salary for 2 years wouldn't be there because of retention. When Jake's contract is up your going to have to pay him anyways.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I wonder who the Leafs brass has invisioned as our #2 C going forward. Would we be interested in a Sam Bennet trade? Its clear they dont see any future with Tyler Bozak

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wonder who the Leafs brass has invisioned as our #2 C going forward. Would we be interested in a Sam Bennet trade? Its clear they dont see any future with Tyler Bozak

I think Matthews-Kadri is the long-term 1-2 punch up the middle. Ideally to improve our depth at C going forward, we can just find a really solid defensive centre, even if the offence is ~10-15 points less than Bozak. Team defence is our problem, not scoring, and the JVR-Bozak combo has been horrendous defensively for us for years.

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
I think Matthews-Kadri is the long-term 1-2 punch up the middle. Ideally to improve our depth at C going forward, we can just find a really solid defensive centre, even if the offence is ~10-15 points less than Bozak. Team defence is our problem, not scoring, and the JVR-Bozak combo has been horrendous defensively for us for years.

Thats why I dont see either of them coming back So we need both replacements going forward.

Id love a Tavares/Bozak and a Rychel/JVR replacement but thats wishful thinking

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
What will we be doing with Josh Leivo, Nikita Soshnikov, Rinat Valiev and Martin Marincin all should be in the NHL right now. Will we trade all of them as the season goes on or what?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
What will we be doing with Josh Leivo, Nikita Soshnikov, Rinat Valiev and Martin Marincin all should be in the NHL right now. Will we trade all of them as the season goes on or what?

I'm not sure that any of the players above "should" be in the NHL right now. Do they have NHL qualities? Sure. I would easily put Josh Leivo at the top of the list and technically he's on the roster waiting for an injury. The jury is still out on Marincin, Valiev and Soshnikov. Arguably, I would probably put Valiev 2nd on the list because he's a defenseman you often times do not notice (in a good way). Soshnikov could be a 3/4th liner with perimeter play issues, however, he's an effective forechecker with a nice shot.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Kapenen?

All of the players listed are in the AHL except Leivo.. there's no real issue with having them in the minors especially given Bozak/JVR/Komarov could all be gone next season. An influx of these forwards could easily happen.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I am to move Willie to C, then a JVR trade must happen.
The my lines would be this:
Hyman-Matthews-Kap
Marleau-Willie-Leivo
Leo-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Bozak-Marner

Might put Moore on the Kadri's line and move Brown to Willie's line, if Leivo doesn't work.
If Marner picks up his game, switch him with Kap.

At least for this year, that's pretty much 4 top 6 lines.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Valiev shouldn't be, but I agree with the others. You could add Kapanen, Rychel, Dermott, Aaltonen and Johnsson to that list easily as well. Pickard and Sparks in net IMO as well.

As for trades, who knows really. We've got a lot of chips we can use for added value in trades or to get some stuff done at the TDL without needing to touch our picks too much. I am sure if teams start to face some injuries, we could come calling with guys like Rychel, Soshnikov, Marincin or Leivo, and still have insurance for injuries with Johnsson, Aaltonen and Kapanen. Minnesota has a lot of forward injuries; maybe we can do something here.

Although I definitely would not be shocked to see Marincin back in the NHL sooner rather than later. Borgman and Rosen have had spurts of good play, but nothing nearly consistent enough. I wouldn't be surprised to see one get swapped for Marincin, especially since Marincin-Carrick is a pairing that can play about 16-17 minutes at night at ES if we need them to (possibly even more) and Marincin can probably take 2+ minutes of PK burden away too.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

A player like Phillip Danault would make so much sense for this team right now. Too bad Montreal is hurting for C's and wont give him up easily.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you look at how Lou ran things in New Jersey, expect to have that overflow of depth everywhere as a normal state of affairs. It's the kind of fat that makes it possible for the team to go and get veteran help when they need it. Lou had so much talent with the Devils he could easily go out and trade Sullivan, McCauley and Smith to grab Gilmour, then more pieces in the cupboard to trade Brendan Morrison and Denis Pederson to Vancouver to get Alex Mogilny.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From the past few drafts, I wonder if there are some reclamation projects in the making we can take advantage of over the next little while: Olli Juolevi, Dylan Strome, Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart, Jesse Puljujarvi, etc.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Marincin passed through waivers, so if he should be in the NHL right now, every NHL team missed the boat.

There has been interest in Leivo from at least one team, but the rumor is that the price was too steep. I doubt the Leafs will play Leivo much this year. But I am sure you will be able to see him next year after he signs with another team, puts up an average 45 points a season over the next several seasons and plays his best games each year when playing against his former team.

Sosh I think could put up somewhat decent numbers if he was playing top 9. Don't see that happening with the Leafs. I don't see any future for Valiev on the Leafs either.

Leipsic has been showing what he can do if given the chance to play. I hope Leivo, Sosh and Valiev are given the same opportunity soon.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think a deal around Gardiner for Weber makes sense of Montreal retains quite a bit. We improve on the back end immediately. Montreal improves for the future. The du
Off in salary for 2 years wouldn't be there because of retention. When Jake's contract is up your going to have to pay him anyways.
I'm not really interested in moving Gardiner to acquire Weber.
I had a discussion with Hab fans concerning this an offered JVR, with a 2018 2nd and a 2019 1st (if JVR doesn't re-sign. A 2nd rounder in 19 if he does). The Habs can retain salary to bring us a Weber cap hit of 6 million/year.
That's about as far as I'm willing to go. If the Habs want to unload Patches for the most they can get, picks/prospects, then JVR would ease the top 6 loss. Or they can move JVR for more picks and replenish.

Reactions: carko32

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The trade augmentation team is back out full force. Get futures keep building. More developing less wheeling and dealing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am confident Lou will land a significant dman before the TDL but let's say he isn't able to. I know it is radical but another angle is to acquire a stud #1G and go guns a blazing on O. Ideally Price (I would prefer to take on Price's contract over Weber's) but that isn't going to happen so what about King Henrik, Luongo or Rask?? at the TDL (assuming their respective teams are out of playoff contention) ?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if they'll just send down Rosen again to fix the roster?

I just wish they would waive/trade Leivo and let him play somewhere.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I wonder if they'll just send down Rosen again to fix the roster?

I just wish they would waive/trade Leivo and let him play somewhere.

We don't need to give Panik 2.0 away. He really is fairly effective like I said Panik was. Knew it was a mistake. Failing to utilize Panik and extracextract his usefulness was one of the first failures of this regime. When Babcock doesn't like someone it's usually not an indicator of how good they are or can be. Its about if Babcock wants to work with them or not.

I read somewhere Babcock was not a fan of Mitch being the choice in the draft. We'll see what happens with that saga.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We don't need to give Panik 2.0 away. He really is fairly effective like I said Panik was. Knew it was a mistake. Failing to utilize Panik and extracextract his usefulness was one of the first failures of this regime. When Babcock doesn't like someone it's usually not an indicator of how good they are or can be. Its about if Babcock wants to work with them or not.

I read somewhere Babcock was not a fan of Mitch being the choice in the draft. We'll see what happens with that saga.

I mean I don't care if he's potentially Wayne Gretzky here (Ok, maybe a little exaggeration). If they aren't gonna play him, find a team that will. We are closing on what...9-10 months since his last NHL game? All that because Matt Martin is healthy? I mean come on. Martin has been the definition of useless this season, but all we talk about is how Marner isn't as good as he can be. I'll never understand this obsession with enforcers and plugs but can't wait to jump down a skilled players throat, like JVR for example.

Babcock destroyed Leivos value to be perfectly honest. I love him as a coach but when he doesn't like you, he really doesn't like you --- and that's really bad for you.

Babcock loves Marner from what I can tell. He'll be on the PK as well as the PP in the near future, mark my words.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I mean I don't care if he's potentially Wayne Gretzky here (Ok, maybe a little exaggeration). If they aren't gonna play him, find a team that will. We are closing on what...9-10 months since his last NHL game? All that because Matt Martin is healthy? I mean come on. Martin has been the definition of useless this season, but all we talk about is how Marner isn't as good as he can be.

Babcock destroyed Leivos value to be perfectly honest. I love him as a coach but when he doesn't like, he really doesn't like you --- and that's really bad for you.

Babcock loves Marner from what I can tell. He'll be on the PK in the near future, mark my words.

Leivo is getting screwed. Absolutely. Martin sucks as well at hockey.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leivo is getting screwed. Absolutely. Martin sucks as well at hockey.
Leivo should get some time. There is a good chance JVR, Bozak, even Komarov could walk UFA. You really want to know what you have in terms of replacement. Sitting in the stands isn't getting him any experience either. This is how Chicago works in guys like Hartman, Shmaltz, Hayden, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad