Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are they married? Sooner or later they have to unless Marleau does it next season, that or Bozak gets paid money we can't afford to spend.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It will never happen bu Shea Weber being available at some point in the next year or so, assuming the Habs fire their management and go another direction, would make Babcock salivate pretty hard I'm sure.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It will never happen bu Shea Weber being available at some point in the next year or so, assuming the Habs fire their management and go another direction, would make Babcock salivate pretty hard I'm sure.

And then our unfired management would give him a nice steak, cause without 50% retention that contract could be crippling

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
And then our unfired management would give him a nice steak, cause without 50% retention that contract could be crippling
The cap recapture if he retires early is still on Nashvilles hands, however we'd definitely need some retention.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The cap recapture if he retires early is still on Nashvilles hands, however we'd definitely need some retention.

Can't see him retiring before 2023, my concern is the three years before that and having an 8 million dollar 4-5 d man dragging us down

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I think he'd be fine, but it's more do we want to split up him and Matthews?
What happen last year when they were split up? With Nylander clearly hitting another level this year splitting them up It could be argued improves the team.

Marner needs help and I truly believed a long time ago that the transition of Nylander to center would shift Marner on to Mathews wing.

I don't mind Bozak on this team but IMO if the Leafs looked like this right now

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - Marleau
Leivo - Nylander - Brown/ Kapenen
Martin - Fehr/Moore/- Brown/ Kapenen

They would be very much a better team.

JVR & Bozak aren't as important to this team currently not to mention moving to the future. So why not move to the future? It looks bright IMO.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Any reason why Marner shouldn't get consideration for the #3C position if Bozak is moved? 14 of 18 on the dot so far.

Imagine a third line of Marleau-Marner-Kapanen with both JVR and Bozak traded. Absolutely torch other teams with their speed. Just reunite Brown with Kadri and Komarov...

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Nielsen is someone I would add to a deal to help sweeten the pot.

We've got:

Rielly, Gardiner, Borgman, Dermott and possibly even Valiev as better options. On the point of Valiev, he's looking good again this year - injuries really affected his past season.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Guys don’t worry, I was playing NHL 18 and I built a team that won 2 cups in a row in Be A GM.

Traded Bozak for a first and a third
Traded JVR for a first, second, and some no name prospect
Traded both the firsts I got from the above trades and Dermott for Duchene
Traded our first and second for Tanev

In both 2017-18 and 2018-19 I ran:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Duchene - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Moore - Kapanen

Reilly - Tanev
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Andersen
Pickard

After that my team was completely screwed for the cap and I quit.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What happen last year when they were split up? With Nylander clearly hitting another level this year splitting them up It could be argued improves the team.

Marner needs help and I truly believed a long time ago that the transition of Nylander to center would shift Marner on to Mathews wing.

I don't mind Bozak on this team but IMO if the Leafs looked like this right now

Hyman - Mathews - Marner
Komorov - Kadri - Marleau
Leivo - Nylander - Brown/ Kapenen
Martin - Fehr/Moore/- Brown/ Kapenen

They would be very much a better team.

JVR & Bozak aren't as important to this team currently not to mention moving to the future. So why not move to the future? It looks bright IMO.

I'd maintain the 2nd scoring line by making it Marleau-Nylander-Leivo, and then have Brown go back with Kadri and Komarov and have Soshnikov /Rychel as the 4th liner. Call up Marincin to be our 7th/8th defenseman.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Any reason why Marner shouldn't get consideration for the #3C position if Bozak is moved? 14 of 18 on the dot so far.

Imagine a third line of Marleau-Marner-Kapanen with both JVR and Bozak traded. Absolutely torch other teams with their speed. Just reunite Brown with Kadri and Komarov...

i suppose the reason could be he didnt stick there in jnr cant see babs going for that, Meanwhile Nylander has played C in the SHL, AHL and 23 games in his 1st season in the NHL and also is doing pretty great on the draws this season too, while taking far more. Oh and babcock has said willy will be a C, whether he sticks to that i dont know but at the same time he flat out said NO to marner being a C

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
i suppose the reason could be he didnt stick there in jnr cant see babs going for that, Meanwhile Nylander has played C in the SHL, AHL and 23 games in his 1st season in the NHL and also is doing pretty great on the draws this season too, while taking far more. Oh and babcock has said willy will be a C, whether he sticks to that i dont know but at the same time he flat out said NO to marner being a C

I do not think Marner has the game to be a center in the NHL. Even when he was drafted you could tell he was probably not going to be one, and from that one point he was a RW. Maybe he comes in once in a while, but besides that it's unlikely.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I do not think Marner has the game to be a center in the NHL. Even when he was drafted you could tell he was probably not going to be one, and from that one point he was a RW. Maybe he comes in once in a while, but besides that it's unlikely.

Totally agree. Not impossible but very improbable

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
JVR should hold a ton of value still. Reaves was a UFA going into this year and fetched a late 1st.

You only get that value when/if he's traded

If they were going to do that, it should have been in the off-season

Yeah, I agree with this.

I'm trying to think of a top 6 winger with his track record that was traded mid-season.

I can't think of one on a team this good, normally the teams buying not selling at the TDL

Although it puzzles me why a trade hasn't happened, I would say that a trade at last year's TDL would have the best way to gain assets from moving JVR. And a TDL deal this year seems not likely. Who knows, but at this point, I have to wonder if its not happening.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd be willing to take the gamble for him straight up if we think that he could be a centre.
Even if he isn't a center, he fits the "sheltered" line in place of JVR.
Galchenyuk...C...Marner
I think he is much like JVR, only younger. His D is suspect and Habs fans question his IQ sometimes. Skating average. Again, younger and signed. His strength is probably offense/scoring goals, not the rest of the game (which appears average).

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Even if he isn't a center, he fits the "sheltered" line in place of JVR.
Galchenyuk...C...Marner
I think he is much like JVR, only younger. His D is suspect and Habs fans question his IQ sometimes. Skating average. Again, younger and signed. His strength is probably offense/scoring goals, not the rest of the game (which appears average).

yeah thats true, although i think a lot of habs fans have said that he plays better at right wing (his offside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad