Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2017 Edition Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What the ****

His contract would ruin the future of our team. He's a #3 right now, but we can't have people guaranteed to be overpaid guys that we need to pay to get off this team later on.

Wouldn't take him for free.

That's a clear exaggeration. He's very much a top pairing defenseman. His contract is the only thing holding back from being a perfect target.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How you are going to find that kind of money, we need to sign Matthews, Willie and Mitch

Money will be there. Cap is going up and plenty of flexibility. Either way, like I said, his contract isn't exactly great due to the term.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Someone needs to sit Babcock down and tell him that making a trade in a tough market to help the PK is bloody ugly and he needs to start trying to blood the guys on the bottom pair instead of using 2 players all the time

When our 5v5 defense is really improving throwing someone new in there just for the PK like we tried with the disastrous Polak resigning doesn't really appeal to me especially when plugs like Gudbranson are being bandied about

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
That's a clear exaggeration. He's very much a top pairing defenseman. His contract is the only thing holding back from being a perfect target.

He's still a top pairing d-man, but he's very overrated. There's not much difference between a guy like what Hainsey has been for us, in this sample size and Weber. As crazy as that sounds based on Weber's pedigree.

And certainly with analogous d-man around the league- like Tanev, Manson, etc. He's very good along the boards and on the PK, but his PP skills are redundant in today's NHL and he can be absolutely horrific at times at exiting the zone.

IMO, it would be dumb spending a lot of assets on him. He presents value, but almost exclusively on retention. And both of those won't be palatable for the Habs...they traded Subban for him.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
With Carrick, Polak, Marincin, Borgman, Rosen, & Dermott, I don't really think we need to trade for a depth blueliner.

If we're moving Leivo, I'd rather package him with something else for a better player, or just trade him for a pick.

The reason the Leafs are having trouble may be the fact that the guys you listed are not very good, Dermott has potential. I think Harpur is a step up from those guys. Leivo really doesn't have much value, so take the finished product rather than the 4th rounder.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Think Savard or Tanev are good choices to target that wouldn't ruin our team in trading for them. Ideally our 3 UFAs are converted into picks that we can then flip for a RHD like the aforementioned 2 (maybe 3way trade if the team doesn't want picks) just like STL did it with reversed positions trading away Shattenkirk and getting a longterm asset in Schenn

Why would anyone want to trade for Tanev? I know he's suppose to be a good defenseman and all, but what good is having him on your team when he's almost guaranteed to be injured and missing games every season and hell he's injured right now! No way would I want him on the Leafs unless he came dirt cheap.

And in general why do we need to talk about trading for a Dman now when its not nearly as urgent as it use to be with the Hainsey signing? I wasn't expecting much from him, but thus far he's played well beyond my expectations and has become an important part of the top four. Maybe if he were doing poorly then it would make sense to go look for someone who could replace him in the top four, but he's doing well and unless there's a really good deal to be made, then why not just hold steady and wait to fill our defense needs from our own prospect pool?

Liljegren could be ready to join the Leafs next year and perhaps Dermott too, which means if you trade for someone now, then who are you going to move later to make room for them? Carrick and Hainsey? I'd rather just wait and see if our defensemen can do the job this year and then see if Tim and/or Travis is ready for the NHL next year.

Of course if there's a great deal to be made you do it, but if not then I'm more than happy to stick with what we've got defense wise and would rather trade guys like Martin, Bozak, Moore and even JVR if the price is right and bring up our young guys to fill those spots.

I'd take Weber on this team. His contract is ugly and takes down his value but man he'd be a monster on this team. He's still a great defenseman and Babcock would love him.

For me, I wouldn't want him on the Leafs with that crazy ass contract. Leafs management have done a pretty good job in getting rid of bad contracts so why in the hell would we want one of the worst in the league here? I don't want to worry if he can still play at a high level in a few years and then look at finding some way of getting rid of his contract if he declines drastically. Better to just leave that problem for the Habs to deal with.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's still a top pairing d-man, but he's very overrated. There's not much difference between a guy like what Hainsey has been for us, in this sample size and Weber. As crazy as that sounds based on Weber's pedigree.

And certainly with analogous d-man around the league- like Tanev, Manson, etc. He's very good along the boards and on the PK, but his PP skills are redundant in today's NHL and he can be absolutely horrific at times at exiting the zone.

IMO, it would be dumb spending a lot of assets on him. He presents value, but almost exclusively on retention. And both of those won't be palatable for the Habs...they traded Subban for him.

Who said a lot of assets? I think because of his contract, they aren't going to get a whole lot. It would be a quantity for quality trade.

This summer we have over 26M to spend with Nylander, Soshnikov and Carrick to re-sign. In 2 years, the obvious Matthews and Marner are up and by then, Marleau is probably LTIR or traded, Martin is a pending UFA, etc.

I think the idea that we can't acquire a top level player because of our potential cap crunch is way too much around here. It's ok to spend it wisely but to say no to a top tier defenseman like Weber is not somewhere I'd pinch a penny on. We have to start pinching on secondary players like Martin, Hyman, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that a top defenseman like Weber should be strongly considered and his contract should lower his value considerably. We're probably one of the only 'contending' teams to be able to afford that kind of contract in the short-term and can very likely fit it long-term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisy Jane

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The reason the Leafs are having trouble may be the fact that the guys you listed are not very good, Dermott has potential. I think Harpur is a step up from those guys. Leivo really doesn't have much value, so take the finished product rather than the 4th rounder.

Not sure but he certainly isn't better than Dermott and Borgman at all nor is he much of a step up from Rosen and Marincin.

You forgot this option; I'd rather keep Leivo considering he's signed for another season.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I still see Leivo and Sosh moved before next season. Kap is better than both and I could see Johnsson being more impactful overall.

Start the year with something like:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Aaltonen-Johnsson

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If the Bruins fall out of it I wonder what if they would consider trading Chara to us.

Rielly-Chara
Gardiner-Hainsey
Carrick-Zaitsev

He's got a high cap hit though so we'd need to shed some cap in that kind of trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad