Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread :Trades That Will Happen Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The problem is we aren't getting a 1C for Patches and I doubt we have a package to get one either , unless it's a much older player with likely a crappy contract.

no kidding. But in the choice between an old center or a bad / of completely absent one that's a rock and a hard place. If only we had a good D prospect that we could have packaged with a perennial 30 goal scorer, we would be in a much better position. But I guess " all of your small soft talented wingers belong to us" has its appeal as well ( provided they speak french, of course).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Despite the latest resurgence, I still see 2 ripe, low-hanging, fruit that can be traded for quality assets. Max and Weber have not played significant roles in the win streak. Perhaps they can carry on without them while restocking the cupboards with youth.

If the streak is a mirage and they revert to old form, then the team isn't good enough for a deep run, even with Max and Weber.

Trade Weber and Max now, then, closer to the TDL, make the decision to add (ROR) or remove (Pleks) based on how they're doing.

I don't think any of this will happen as Bergevin is gunning for the playoffs to save his job, instead of making an honest assessment of whether this team is good enough for a deep Cup run.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Despite the latest resurgence, I still see 2 ripe, low-hanging, fruit that can be traded for quality assets. Max and Weber have not played significant roles in the win streak. Perhaps they can carry on without them while restocking the cupboards with youth.

If the streak is a mirage and they revert to old form, then the team isn't good enough for a deep run, even with Max and Weber.

Trade Weber and Max now, then, closer to the TDL, make the decision to add (ROR) or remove (Pleks) based on how they're doing.

I don't think any of this will happen as Bergevin is gunning for the playoffs to save his job, instead of making an honest assessment of whether this team is good enough for a deep Cup run.
If we are in a playoff position, trading Max/Weber/Price would likely kick the locker room in the teeth, and all those could just as easily be traded in the offseason. The only guy who we have to think about trading, as we would lose him for nothing, is Plekanec.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
If we are in a playoff position, trading Max/Weber/Price would likely kick the locker room in the teeth, and all those could just as easily be traded in the offseason. The only guy who we have to think about trading, as we would lose him for nothing, is Plekanec.

For sure. Especially Weber. Never mistake short-term success during a player's absence as a long-term trend. Often teams step up their play to cover a key absence and take pride in bridging that gap as best they can, knowing full well they need that player back to succeed. Moving him would be like telling a small platoon in a furious battle that there is no help on the way.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
To Kings:

Pacioretty

To Habs:

Vilardi +2018 1st

To Sabres:

Vilardi + LA 2018 1st + 2nd

To Habs:

ROR

Nt sure but i would thinks that picks like that would need to be added. In reality though, wouldn't we just want to keep Vilardi and the 1st? Kid looks promising no?

Reactions: Uncle Gary

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Never mistake short-term success during a player's absence as a long-term trend.

This is true. I suspect the short-term success will not last and they will revert to the long-term trend - which is playing at a level where it is obvious that they are not good enough for a deep Cup run, with or without Weber.

Now is the time to get a return for an aging player who is showing signs of slowing down. (If you watched him during his Nashville days, this would be obvious)

Reactions: Sorinth

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This is true. I suspect the short-term success will not last and they will revert to the long-term trend - which is playing at a level where it is obvious that they are not good enough for a deep Cup run, with or without Weber.

Now is the time to get a return for an aging player who is showing signs of slowing down. (If you watched him during his Nashville days, this would be obvious)

Experience plays a role in the evolution of a player's style of play. Anyone who expects a free-flowing power skater performance from Weber will think that he's done as a player.

Weber's positioning on the ice and his point shot are his strengths. He can skate with the puck, but plays percentages rather than take unnecessary risks.

You don't have to like him as a D, but he's still extremely useful as a pilar on the back end. In fact, with the style of play that he exhibits, he should be able to produce at the same level farther into his current contract than many give him credit for.

A complementary PMD like Mete or some more experienced version of Mete to play alongside Weber would make the team better, but the lack of such a player doesn't make Weber a less useful D.

I believe that the knock on Weber stems from which D he is compared to or from nostalgia at not having the Subban showboat within our ranks.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Patches is a possible, but there is no way MB is trading Weber.

Personally, I would overhaul the team as I dont think we can get what would be needed to become a contender right now and for the next couple of years. An attempt to do that likely will just cost us a lot off assets, burden us with a heavy contract and lock us in to mediocrity. For example, Giroux.

For Weber to go MB would have to be gone and a new GM at the helm. For any chance of MB being gone the team would have to crater again and not come back up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't agree that Giroux is a declining player. Guy is still a beast and would easily be our best forward. Giroux is a bonafide #1C imo. Obviously depending on the price, but I would certainly look into it.

Giroux has a risky contract but I think he is a 60 pts center (+/-) for the rest of his contact (age 29-34). He does have a NMC so maybe if they do trade him or he ask for a trade, we could have leverage if he wants to play for the Habs. I’d ask for at least $1M retention

Reactions: scrubadam

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trading Patches but it would ideally have to be for a younger player. As much as I like Giroux, getting him in return would feel like a lateral move at best.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to trading Patches but it would ideally have to be for a younger player. As much as I like Giroux, getting him in return would feel like a lateral move at best.
getting a guy to fill the hole at center for a guy who routinely dissapears whenthe chips are down is a lateral move ?

I'm not saying that giroux is not without his own warts, but what he brings would FAR exceed what is lost in casperetty, and this delta would be magnified in the playoffs 2 to 3X.

I still have no idea how it is that people are looking for BPA in a trade for max. you might draft BPA but if you are trading to address dire persistent need, if we don't get a center for max or a max+ package, THAT would be a lateral move.

wingers ? we don't need no stinking wingers !

We have but two choices, draft a center and wait for him to mature into a one C ( and hope that he does), trade for a redundant player and hope we can switch him to center, OR sacrifice the assets needed to acquire a bonafide tested 1C. We have tried the first two, it hasnt worked out.

Based on the MB there is a very real possibility that we simple ignore the deficiency and hope it goes away and we go into the playoffs with a bunch of 2C's ( turtleneck, danault, JDL, drouin). If only one could predict what happens to teams in the playoffs without a 1C, perhaps that would tell us the best path forward.

I don't like patches, I think he is the second worst captain in team history. but he does have value and if we squander it AGAIN on getting something we dont need and ignoring (AGAIN) something we do, i will be apoplectic.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I believe that the knock on Weber stems from which D he is compared to or from nostalgia at not having the Subban showboat within our ranks.

Yes, but the D he is compared to is his old self. That's the nostalgia.

I'm getting the sense that some hf'ers didn't watch a lot of Weber 5 years ago.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
getting a guy to fill the hole at center for a guy who routinely dissapears whenthe chips are down is a lateral move ?

I'm not saying that giroux is not without his own warts, but what he brings would FAR exceed what is lost in casperetty, and this delta would be magnified in the playoffs 2 to 3X.

I still have no idea how it is that people are looking for BPA in a trade for max. you might draft BPA but if you are trading to address dire persistent need, if we don't get a center for max or a max+ package, THAT would be a lateral move.

wingers ? we don't need no stinking wingers !

We have but two choices, draft a center and wait for him to mature into a one C ( and hope that he does), trade for a redundant player and hope we can switch him to center, OR sacrifice the assets needed to acquire a bonafide tested 1C. We have tried the first two, it hasnt worked out.

Based on the MB there is a very real possibility that we simple ignore the deficiency and hope it goes away and we go into the playoffs with a bunch of 2C's ( turtleneck, danault, JDL, drouin). If only one could predict what happens to teams in the playoffs without a 1C, perhaps that would tell us the best path forward.

I don't like patches, I think he is the second worst captain in team history. but he does have value and if we squander it AGAIN on getting something we dont need and ignoring (AGAIN) something we do, i will be apoplectic.
You are correct. We really need to get 1 or 2 centers. We gain a stud winger with 2 as we move Drouin to wing. Pleks can be traded for a 2nd as he can play 3C on a good team and help them go deep. Edm could sure use Pleks as they could then use Draisatl as a winger in top 6 and have Pleks handle tough assignments. Makes the team instantly deeper. We have Danault at 3C so no need for Pleks.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Trading those two along with Plekanec also opens the door for a culture change which would probably be a positive. Officially handing the reigns to Gallagher would allow us to re-establish a better team identity.

For Weber there's no doubt in my mind that we should trade him. The key is the return, it's possible waiting till the summer maximizes his value as teams who are currently too far out of the playoffs might try and make a big splash by getting Weber (Edmonton comes to mind).

For Pacioretty a case could be made to wait until we see what Weber returns and/or if we could get Tavares. Pacioretty would look a lot better in a role where he isn't the main guy (Much like Kessel in Pittsburgh vs Toronto). But that also depends on what he's looking for long term. That said if someone makes a great offer you take it and run.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Are we really suggesting to trade Weber now? Sure, Schlemko and Jerabek have solidified the defense but I really don't want Petry being our number 1 RD. What happens when Benn and Petry hit their inevitable slump? When Schlemko or Jerabek get exposed by being over matched. Don't let this streak fool you. Weber anchors this defense big time and we'd be a lot further down the standings chart without him. I really don't see the point in trading for another 1 RD unless he is younger but then why would any gm do that? I also don't see any other pieces that we have that could fetch that.

Patches needs to go though. Unlike Weber, the captain has been a passenger all year and has proven that he doesn't perform when it matters or when the going gets tough. From an outsider perspective, the prospect of netting a perennial 30 goal a year guy is attractive. Who knows, maybe Patches needs the Kessel treatment to get going. Many GMs would likely be wiling to take that sort of risk.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Wonder if the habs could somehow get Boone Jenner from Columbus. Seems like Torteralla isn't a fan and he's now icing him on the 4th line LW. Seems like he could be a nice fit on the habs.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The only two players we should trade are Patches and Plex.

Patches to reload on young talent and high picks or good prospects. And Plex to get whatever asset we can for a guy who’s not coming back beat year.

With the savings in cap for next year, we can make a serious run at high end centres to come in and right the ship. But by no way do I trade Max, our last good trade chip without getting a top going centre or top young LD pairing for Weber.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Poehling,Lindgren.Juulsen,Lernout for Jost and Barrie and Bergevin if you could trade Alzner for a pick and let Mete or Jerabek play then you can thank the heavens above.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Wonder if the habs could somehow get Boone Jenner from Columbus. Seems like Torteralla isn't a fan and he's now icing him on the 4th line LW. Seems like he could be a nice fit on the habs.

I would expect Columbus to be a team very interested in Pacioretty. They had a great season last year, and look to be repeating again yet they only have one big scorer this year. So adding a proven scorer should be pretty high on their list.

Obviously the Habs would love to get Dubois from them, but Jenner+ would also be interesting.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I would expect Columbus to be a team very interested in Pacioretty. They had a great season last year, and look to be repeating again yet they only have one big scorer this year. So adding a proven scorer should be pretty high on their list.

Obviously the Habs would love to get Dubois from them, but Jenner+ would also be interesting.

I don't know if Torts would be interested in coaching Patch. He wasn't a fan of his at the WC. And that is putting it nicely :laugh:

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
That's true, but I don't think a GM makes a trade without his coach's input.
That's true but I really don't think that would void a trade. I mean if Columbus is getting Pacioretty for Jenner and futures, I don't think Torterella's dislike of him is gonna mean much to Jarmo. He'll make the trade if he feels the value is right and Tort's will just have to work with it.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Should workout a 3 way deal for Patches going to EDM and Giroux coming here. Philly getting futures.

Example:

MTL - Giroux
EDM - Pacioretty
PHI - Puljujärvi + Juulsen

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

I'd be surprised if the let go of Dubois seeing as he's playing well on the first right now. Bjorkstrand and Milano are would be interesting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad