Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Elite defense can't be taught, Staal is the type of player that can completely shut down any superstar in the playoffs.

In any case i'm not saying i'd move Galchenyuk for him, Plekanec tho? In a goddamn heartbeat. Don't mind his caphit either, 6M for a 40-50 point center who's probably the best defensive forward/faceoff man (of course he doesnt have the offense that Toews/Bergeron/Kopitar have) in the league is acceptable to me.

Look at how much the elite defensive C's make: Kopitar 10M, Toews 10.5M, Bergeron 6.8M (which is a steal).. as you can see NHL GM's value elite defensive players. A casual fan will just look at his production/caphit and think he's overpaid, you have to actually watch him play to realize how valuable of a player he is. He brings a lot to a team.

So you'd rather pay for elite defence rather than elite offence? Unlike offence, defence can be taught, really no need to take on that type of contract. Would much rather have a top 6 offensive player at a 6 X 6 commitment.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Staal is so incredibly overrated it's crazy. He's a great 3rd line centre that sometimes put up 2nd line numbers. If he was getting paid $4-5M per he'd be a great acquisition but he's easily getting paid $1-2Mm too much and has waay too much term left on his contract which exacerbates the fact he's getting paid too much.

Hard pass. Rather keep that money for Rads.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Guys would you trade Plekanec (1 more year @6M) for J. Staal (6 more years @ 6M)?

Staal's grit and hard work would be nice to have but no thanks to 6 years at $6M. Maybe if he was younger. He's 28 and will be 34 when his contract ends. He's not extremely overpaid but if it was like $5M max, it would make me think harder. His offensive is limited so not sure he's a good fit at 2nd line center. Habs have Danault/McCarron as the projected options at 3rd line center so no need getting another 3rd line center.

Also doubt Carolina just dumps his salary for Plekanec. He's a good vet on that young team and they don't need the cap space. Price to get him will be a Draft pick/Prospect/Pleky type of package I imagine

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Why would they move him then? :)

Because McDavid and Drei can be 1-2, and they need a lot of help on the wings and an offensive defenseman.

He's been put into every trade rumour involving a #1 d-man in the last year by Oilers fans so they definitely do not under value him.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Look at Pittsburg's defense, far from elite...

Was going to say the same. Pittsburgh had an ok D-core, but I don't see it any better than ours and I would argue our current D-core is stronger.

What wins cups is a solid team system but in terms of assets, forward depth, specifically a true #1C and #2C is needed. Pittsburgh had a great team system that highlighted their team speed and they had Crosby and Malkin.

I do think we can put together very good 3rd and 4th lines. Not sure if Chuck is there as a #1C yet but he has the tools. However, that 2C is lacking...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because McDavid and Drei can be 1-2, and they need a lot of help on the wings and an offensive defenseman.

He's been put into every trade rumour involving a #1 d-man in the last year by Oilers fans so they definitely do not under value him.

The return for RNH will not be bigger than T Hall IMO. If the Oilers want a #1D man, they will not get a elite type guy with RNH. If they could, the deal would of been done by now. Teams will be asking for Drai if the Oilers want a elite defenseman. If I was the Oilers, I'd target a guy like Sergachev or equivalent. Keep the core close to age 19 (the age of that guy they got ;)). They can try to make the playoffs this year all they want but the goal should be improving the core moving forward and to ensure it's balanced and all in the age of 19-25. It's no secret they are lacking a #1D and I suspect the #1 overall picks (or top 10) days are behind them. Make another big move to get a young elite Defenseman.

McDavid/RNH/Sergachev (or equivalent) > McDavid/Drai/ (Any guy they get for RNH)

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
We should keep an eye on Minnesota. They're in a tough division and if they fall out of the playoffs, they might look to deal a defenseman rather than lose one to expansion.

They have 5 pretty good Dmen and they'll be forced to expose one or two:

Suter
Spurgeon
Dumba
Brodin
Scandella

I think Brodin and Scandella would be nice fits here if either were made available.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We should keep an eye on Minnesota. They're in a tough division and if they fall out of the playoffs, they might look to deal a defenseman rather than lose one to expansion.

Suter
Spurgeon
Dumba
Brodin
Scandella

I think Brodin and Scandella would be nice fits here if either were made available.

Theres going to be a lot of eyes on the Wild. Trade deadline should be interesting. It's a Playoff Push/Expansion Draft Trade Deadline!

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
It's called team D. Don't be confused with actual defenseman.

Humm... that was not the point that was being made... it was the idea that we should prioritize getting defensemen instead of forwards.

Pittsburgh aren't playing a great defensive system. They have extremely fast forwards with an incredible forchecking and 3 scoring lines... it has nothing to do with their defensive system or the quality of their defensemen who is pretty awfull for a Cup winner...

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Top teams at the trade deadline over the last several years have been willing to trade their 1st round picks to try and win the cup....Pittsburgh,Kings,Rangers,Chicago traded their 1st pick for Vermette and won the cup.If Montreal is in win now mode Bergevin needs to trade his 1st rounder if a team like Winnipeg is not in a playoff spot at the deadline,a right handed shot like Bryan Little would be a good fit as a #2 center,he makes 4.7 million this year and next,he's injured right now with a lower body injury.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

Suter
Spurgeon
Dumba
Brodin
Scandella

Theres going to be a lot of eyes on the Wild. Trade deadline should be interesting. It's a Playoff Push/Expansion Draft Trade Deadline!

There are a lot of teams who will need to trade very good players before the draft... habs are in a very good position right now to improve for next year.

We should be able to find on the market a very solid Top 4 defenceman and a 2nd line center... they won't be cheap, but they'll be available...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So you'd rather pay for elite defence rather than elite offence? Unlike offence, defence can be taught, really no need to take on that type of contract. Would much rather have a top 6 offensive player at a 6 X 6 commitment.

RNH doesnt have elite offense, the difference between RNH and Staal is maybe 10 points and Staal is a million times better defensively. Gimme Staal over him any day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Top teams at the trade deadline over the last several years have been willing to trade their 1st round picks to try and win the cup....Pittsburgh,Kings,Rangers,Chicago traded their 1st pick for Vermette and won the cup.If Montreal is in win now mode Bergevin needs to trade his 1st rounder if a team like Winnipeg is not in a playoff spot at the deadline,a right handed shot like Bryan Little would be a good fit as a #2 center,he makes 4.7 million this year and next,he's injured right now with a lower body injury.

I would not trade a 1st round pick for Little. Maybe a 2nd. The problem is how desperate are you? Somebody ends of cracking and giving up the 1st but on the odd occasion you can get a guy like Vanek for a 2nd rounder.

To me, the UFA rentals are to fill small holes, not big ones. Look at teams that have acquired UFA rental players in the last few years, It usually don't pay off. Team chemestry is a big deal

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
JVR + Kadri for Pacioretty + Plekanec (-1.5m retained) + 1st 2017

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
JVR + Kadri for Pacioretty + Plekanec (-1.5m retained) + 1st 2017

Leafs want draft picks and propects to add to the young core. Why would they want Patch/Pleky? In this deal they get only 1 1st round pick?

Think of it from the Leafs perspective. JVR is UFA after next year. Trade him at trade deadline for a 1st rounder + prospect. Done deal and many teams are interested!

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
RNH doesnt have elite offense, the difference between RNH and Staal is maybe 10 points and Staal is a million times better defensively. Gimme Staal over him any day.

the big difference is RNH only 23 years old, hasn't reach his full potential yet

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
i would really try for RNH, i think he is available cuz of McDavid and Draisatil, my first choice would be Draisatil but if i was the oilers GM i wouldnt trade this guy

now at the beginning of the year i tought Pleky, Beaulieu or Emelin + 1st round pick might do it, but the way Plek and Beau played so far, it sure is not the case now

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
i would really try for RNH, i think he is available cuz of McDavid and Draisatil, my first choice would be Draisatil but if i was the oilers GM i wouldnt trade this guy

now at the beginning of the year i tought Pleky, Beaulieu or Emelin + 1st round pick might do it, but the way Plek and Beau played so far, it sure is not the case now

RNH is not doing well either offensively speaking. He is on pace for 12G and 39P over 82 games while averaging 17:42 of TOI a game. It's not like he plays SH that much ... 1:51 a game (3rd among Edmonton forwards and less than Plekanec is here). Would not be a problem if he was 21 or 22 but he'll turn 24 at the end of the season and he doesn't show any sign of progress offensively speaking.

The value of the trade is fair imo. But i doubt Edmonton is interested in those players.

What they'll ask (one of Patch, Gallagher, Sergachev, Big Mac+) i would not be willing to give for RNH personally.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Humm... that was not the point that was being made... it was the idea that we should prioritize getting defensemen instead of forwards.

Pittsburgh aren't playing a great defensive system. They have extremely fast forwards with an incredible forchecking and 3 scoring lines... it has nothing to do with their defensive system or the quality of their defensemen who is pretty awfull for a Cup winner...

Pittsburgh has Crosby and Malkin up the middle. Habs don't have that. The D can use an upgrade but Habs will have to be extremely lucky to win a Cup with Chucky/Pleky/DD/Danault/Mitchell up the middle. The D is fine. Go get a 2nd line center with a good balance of size and skill! It's needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad