Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
What would it take to get Kuznetsov? He's having a slow start this year, you never know..

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Guys would you trade Plekanec (1 more year @6M) for J. Staal (6 more years @ 6M)?

Of course, 6+ years of Staal = same age as Plekanec is now. Staal is still one of the best defensive centers (imo probably the best pure defensive C) in the NHL.

Yea he's only good for 40 points a season (50 is a good season for him) but you have to value his defensive play, defensively he's on another level. Guy's a workhorse.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Guys would you trade Plekanec (1 more year @6M) for J. Staal (6 more years @ 6M)?

Staal has a NMC, but if he agreed to waive it, it would come down to how bad management felt about Plek's game cause they would be taking on 30M so they would need to take more then Pleks off our hands imo.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Of course, 6+ years of Staal = same age as Plekanec is now. Staal is still one of the best defensive centers (imo probably the best pure defensive C) in the NHL.

So Plekanec at 6 M is really bad but Staal at 6 M is somehow better?

It's not like Staal is an offensive dynamo , he's an low end second , high end third line center...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So Plekanec at 6 M is really bad but Staal at 6 M is somehow better?

It's not like Staal is an offensive dynamo , he's an low end second , high end third line center...

Yes, night and day. No one said Staal is an offensive dynamo, he's a defensive dynamo tho.

And the way he earns is points is different than Plekanec. You never get the feeling that Plekanec works for his points, i feel like his current point total reflects the type of player that he is (and i've always said this about him).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes, night and day. No one said Staal is an offensive dynamo, he's a defensive dynamo tho.

And the way he earns is points is different than Plekanec. You never get the feeling that Plekanec works for his points, i feel like his current point total reflects the type of player that he is (and i've always said this about him).

I think this is once again a the grass is greener on the other side thing...

Plekanec is great defensively . This at best would be a lateral move , and we would still need an offensive second center.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think this is once again a the grass is greener on the other side thing...

Plekanec is great defensively . This at best would be a lateral move , and we would still need an offensive second center.

I guess that's your opinion, i've personally hated Plekanec since about 2013-2014 (yes i didnt like him even when he hit 60 points). He's a point leecher.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we're going to take on a 6X6 contract for a forward, it better be a scoring forward. Defense can be taught, we don't need someone at that significant salary commitment just to play a predominantly defensive role. Pass.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If we're going to take on a 6X6 contract for a forward, it better be a scoring forward. Defense can be taught, we don't need someone at that significant salary commitment just to play a predominantly defensive role. Pass.

Elite defense can't be taught, Staal is the type of player that can completely shut down any superstar in the playoffs.

In any case i'm not saying i'd move Galchenyuk for him, Plekanec tho? In a goddamn heartbeat. Don't mind his caphit either, 6M for a 40-50 point center who's probably the best defensive forward/faceoff man (of course he doesnt have the offense that Toews/Bergeron/Kopitar have) in the league is acceptable to me.

Look at how much the elite defensive C's make: Kopitar 10M, Toews 10.5M, Bergeron 6.8M (which is a steal).. as you can see NHL GM's value elite defensive players. A casual fan will just look at his production/caphit and think he's overpaid, you have to actually watch him play to realize how valuable of a player he is. He brings a lot to a team.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I guess that's your opinion, i've personally hated Plekanec since about 2013-2014 (yes i didnt like him even when he hit 60 points). He's a point leecher.

I like Staal , but as I said I think he's overpaid . If he would bring more offense then cool , sign me up . But if he's to give me 40 points a year , even with stellar defense , at 6 m per year , no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad