HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I swear the Winnipeg pick is gonna become the new Halak, 2n pick + Ryder. :laugh: And I'm guilty of this too.

BTW since the Predators are about to sign their goalie Saros longterm, I wonder what Askarov would cost.
I highly doubt he is available.

Its gonna be a tandem of Saros and Askarov in Nash for a while. At least while Askarov is cheap.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I mean we where a top 5 team in the league in Price prime (2012-2016) and made the semi final and we where far from having a good offence
Sorry but your memory is letting you down. You mentioned 2012-2016.
2011-2012 Finished 28th OA - no playoffs
2012-2013 Finished 4th OA - out in the 1st round
2013-2014 Finished 9th OA - out in the Conference final
2014-2015 Finished 2nd OA - Out the 2nd round
2015-2016 Finished 22nd OA - Guess what? No playoffs

Reactions: the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would you say if both Monahan and Toffoli are back next year on 2 year deals?

Doesn't this make us a better team with Dach returning? Fit our chase the playoffs strategy but we are not trading and futures to do it?

Reactions: Kimota

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sorry but your memory is letting you down. You mentioned 2012-2016.
2011-2012 Finished 28th OA - no playoffs
2012-2013 Finished 4th OA - out in the 1st round
2013-2014 Finished 9th OA - out in the Conference final
2014-2015 Finished 2nd OA - Out the 2nd round
2015-2016 Finished 22nd OA - Guess what? No playoffs
2015-16 Price was injured

And 3x top 10 + 2x top 5 in those 3 years is a top 5 team but yes we where 8th not 5…

What do we have that is higher than that and something we can spare but not the 5th pick? Seems difficult.
Next year pick CGY or MTL pick

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Wont happen but trading Matheson could be great for our future

Matheson to DET for 15th overall

Trade 15th overall + Jets pick to move up

We can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom + Sennecke/Helenius/Eiserman or one of the top RD’s
Is there another NHL team who would trade their #1Dman, never mind one coming off a 62pt campaign on a very affordable deal signed for another 2 years, for so little?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The price would definitely be higher than the Jets 1st + Primeau. Nashville has absolutely no reason to trade Askarov for such a low return.

Wait it out then. If they want guaranteed starter price today, just wait and pay it later when they can't keep both goalies anymore.

My interests today is buy low so if they say no, sure. I'll take my chances with Montry, Primeau, Fowler. If they don't work out, I would have no problem having Sakic's strategy in net.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wont happen but trading Matheson could be great for our future

Matheson to DET for 15th overall

Trade 15th overall + Jets pick to move up

We can leave the draft with Demidov/Lindstrom + Sennecke/Helenius/Eiserman or one of the top RD’s

Not sure what true trade value Matheson has but man... you picked up two very good picks and didn't even mention Iggy as one of them. Disappointed

Can't wait to compare both Iggy and Eiserman to all of them later on. No offense to others but those are my two targets up front. Younger players in this draft and both have NHL shots. Eiserman has more flags than Iggy so Iggy at 5 and Eiserman from 10-15.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Wait it out then. If they want guaranteed starter price today, just wait and pay it later when they can't keep both goalies anymore.

My interests today is buy low so if they say no, sure. I'll take my chances with Montry, Primeau, Fowler. If they don't work out, I would have no problem having Sakic's strategy in net.
Sakic strategy has MacKinnon Makar Rantanen ... If we had that kind of talent then sure it could work but war far from having it

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Trading Matheson still doesn't make much sense to me. Sure his value on the market is very high but he's also extremely valuable for us.

We need our prospects to earn their time in the NHL, not be given minutes because we traded the more talented veteran players away.

He just turned 30 in February, not 35.
To me it's pretty simple, if a team wants to meet the value that a swift skating, 60pt, 25Min+, who signed to a *very* reasonable, 4.875M for this coming year and the one after, than fine.

Pay the price.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
To me it's pretty simple, if a team wants to meet the value that a swift skating, 60pt, 25Min+, who signed to a *very* reasonable, 4.875M for this coming year and the one after, than fine.

Pay the price.
Exactly, Matheson is not on the market but if someone is desperate and wants to pay the price then bank on it

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
With your interpretation of Hughes's statement, then you also need to trade Savard. And I don't buy the left side has more prospects than the right. Matheson is more valuable to the team and provides more bang for your buck than Savard. Also, after Guhle and Kovacevic all the other defence prospects are still wet behind the ears. In addition which prospect will provide what Matheson does? Maybe Hutson and he needs a mentor. Savard ain't it.
Hughes said that he probably wouldn't go get a vet RD and sign him 3-4 years because that would block Mailloux or Reinbacher's long term progress. There's not much to interpret in that statement.

Savard has only one year left on his contract. If he's not extended, he's not blocking anyone.

If Matheson is not extended, he's probably not blocking anyone either, but then you lose him for nothing if he's not traded.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Exactly, Matheson is not on the market but if someone is desperate and wants to pay the price then bank on it
I'm just truly shocked at how some here value him...15th overall for Matheson???

That's it???

What other team could you go to today to acquire their #1Dman for a mid 1st round pick?

Madness to me

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm just truly shocked at how some here value him...15th overall for Matheson???

That's it???

What other team could you go to today to acquire their #1Dman for a mid 1st round pick?

Madness to me
Yes for the 15oa is clearly not enough, all though he wouldn’t be the #1 Dmen on a contending team

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why? Because you think they can't help us or do you think they would block someone? Explain
They bring nothing we can not develop #1 and #2 I'd rather get another lottery pick than make the playoffs with those 2. It would just yield some average pick with 2 contracts we'd want to get rid of. No thanks.

Now if playoffs are in sight, I don't mind, but it's Sid that I want to go after. :nod:

At least, we'd want to resign him for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad