Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Now that Berube is coming in I actually think things are going to play out differently than we all expect.

- Marner won't be traded nor will he even be approached to waive.
- They also don't offer an extension before the season starts, telling him to view this as a "show me" year and both sides can see how things progress during the season before discussing a new deal.
- The arrogance of this organization under Shanahan dictates that they believe that Berube will get Marner to change his approach, he'll be more successful and the fans will buy into Mitch 2.0.
- Then when it's time to talk new deal, everyone wants it. Even the fans.

In short, I highly doubt he's going anywhere unless he and Berube just don't gel and in that case maybe Marner is willing to waive before the TD, or at worst the Leafs trade his rights before July 1 so he gets 8 years somewhere else.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Now that Berube is coming in I actually think things are going to play out differently than we all expect.

- They also don't offer an extension before the season starts, telling him to view this as a "show me" year and both sides can see how things progress during the season before discussing a new deal.
- The arrogance of this organization under Shanahan dictates that they believe that Berube will get Marner to change his approach, he'll be more successful and the fans will buy into Mitch 2.0.

In short, I highly doubt he's going anywhere unless he and Berube just don't gel and in that case maybe Marner is willing to waive before the TD, or at worst the Leafs trade his rights before July 1 so he gets 8 years somewhere else.
Tavares needs to go then. And the captaincy dished off.

Reactions: thinkblue

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
With our coach, maybe Blues will be a great trade partner, Parayko, Binnington and 1st rounder for MM. Even salaries is a close match too.

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I think even if the Leafs come out gun blazing and end up top of the league in the regular season.
They measuring stick will always be what they do in the next playoffs.
Would the MGT willing to bet the same horses to perform in the next playoffs? When the results had always been the same? It is not just not having goaltending but the fact that the top guys just couldn't score in the playoffs.
If it doesn't work again(which is very likely), Shanny will be fired before locker clean up day.
If Shanny is willing to trade MM and/or JT, even if it is another first round exits, he could spin it as transition period...and might get another contract.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Cool story bro. Marner's gone.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nashville'a rebuilding should be done after next years draft. We've drafted a lot of players, traded a lot of vets and have a lot of high picks left.

We needed vet leadership and ROR was guaranteed the 1C position here.
Would you want Marner @ 12 m x 8 yrs.?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hahaha if you think so there is no changing your mind. I’ve read too many posts.

Anyway, you can believe this, if Marner wasn’t a Leaf I’d only be watching him when he is playing against us. No different than McDavid or even Gretzky for that matter.
So you totally ignore the facts that I present, and get all upset about the little joke? Ok, I'll edit it for you:

There's a fan who quotes one stat with no context as the only reason to keep him. Ripley's believe it or not. salts

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
1716001801461.gif

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That’s an unfair question to ask on this board at this moment.
That’s also why I don’t think he wants to stick around next year bc even if he lights it up and gets 100 assists in the regular season, there will be no extension till playoffs.
I just don’t think MM at this moment has the mental fortitude to stick around and bet on himself in the playoffs.
And I don’t think Ferris will bet on that either.
Best case for Marner is really go to a non playoff team, lights it up(as he will have all the PP1 time and the focus on the PP), then the team misses the playoffs. That way with recency bias, he will get the 12m/yr deal esp teams that think they are a top end talent from winning like the Canes.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That’s an unfair question to ask on this board at this moment.
That’s also why I don’t think he wants to stick around next year bc even if he lights it up and gets 100 assists in the regular season, there will be no extension till playoffs.
I just don’t think MM at this moment has the mental fortitude to stick around and bet on himself in the playoffs.
And I don’t think Ferris will bet on that either.
Best case for Marner is really go to a non playoff team, lights it up(as he will have all the PP1 time and the focus on the PP), then the team misses the playoffs. That way with recency bias, he will get the 12m/yr deal esp teams that think they are a top end talent from winning like the Canes.
But he or she is a Preds fan….

I don’t want him in Nashville or Toronto. Send him to TTOE or Minny

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
It's all about Marner's brand...he's in the business of making money first...why would he take responsibility for anything that could tarnish his image?
This is true and exactly why I nothing to do with him anymore. He needs to go.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Didn’t even include Marner when mentioning specific names.

Also notice how this press release clip is written.

Berube will now move to a Toronto club with much more starpower than the Blues. It seems changes are still incoming for the Leafs – with Mitch Marner a rumored trade candidate and Tyler Bertuzzi rumored to return – but there’s no doubting that the trio of Auston Matthews, William Nylander, and John Tavares has Berube excited.

Berube should also be a good match for Toronto’s gritty young forwards like Matthew Knies, Connor Dewar, and Fraser Minten. Berube accrued 3,149 penalty minutes in 1,054 career games during his own playing career and carried over that hard-nosed mindset into his coaching style. At the least, his appreciation for physical, endurance-based hockey should be a welcome change in perspective as Toronto gears up for another strong playoff push next season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Also notice how this press release clip is written.

Berube will now move to a Toronto club with much more starpower than the Blues. It seems changes are still incoming for the Leafs – with Mitch Marner a rumored trade candidate and Tyler Bertuzzi rumored to return – but there’s no doubting that the trio of Auston Matthews, William Nylander, and John Tavares has Berube excited.

Berube should also be a good match for Toronto’s gritty young forwards like Matthew Knies, Connor Dewar, and Fraser Minten. Berube accrued 3,149 penalty minutes in 1,054 career games during his own playing career and carried over that hard-nosed mindset into his coaching style. At the least, his appreciation for physical, endurance-based hockey should be a welcome change in perspective as Toronto gears up for another strong playoff push next season.
Think he said Reilly instead of JT

Reactions: arso40

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Well if he wants out. From his perspective he is better off waiting a year. Then going to a team at no cost to them. The same as what JT did.

Disagree because the Isles wanted JT back. This would be a situation where the Leafs have said to MM we will not be resigning you, we want to trade you and you're not wanted here.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Disagree because the Isles wanted JT back. This would be a situation where the Leafs have said to MM we will not be resigning you, we want to trade you and you're not wanted here.
I doubt he'll be traded but we can hope.

No Tavares Marner and Samsonov gives Tre an opportunity to make this team much better in the post season

Reactions: Kazparov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad