HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Habs didn’t HAVE to trade Lekhonen, he was RFA - they chose to and got taken to the cleaners

Lehkonen was one of my favorite players on the Habs but it made no sense to keep him given the situation.

We were stuck with a bunch of shitty untradeable contracts for wingers in Hoffman, Gallagher, Drouin and Armia at the time, in order to make room and actually start a rebuild the only guys who were tradeable were Toffoli/Lehkonen.

Hanging onto guys like Toffoli/Lehk would've made us a better team in the short-term which defeats the whole purpose of a rebuild. HuGo actually have a plan and have been chipping away at the mess Bergevin left in order to build a contender in the long-term, rather than doing a half assed retool to be more competitive in the short-term.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
59,02% do according to the article. It doesn't list the error margin, so it's probably more like 50/50 in reality.
That's just terrible

On a conspiracy boat, what if PLD is plating poorly so he's bought out by LA and since he's getting paid he then signs here super cheap ?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
0 chance Hughes places him on waivers.

But it will be interesting to see how Hughes handles the excess D. The only option I see to not have a trade is we go 8D in Montreal and Struble starts the year in Laval (barring injury). I think Hutson for sure starts in Montreal.

But I expect Hughes to trade 1 or 2 of Barron, Struble, Harris, or Kovacevic.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Struble/Harris
Kovacevic
I think Hutson starts in laval. The kid is small and very young. He needs time. Test struble first. And mailloux at rd before reinbacher.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Not sure I agree with that. Barron may turn into another Beaulieu but it's not determined yet. I feel like Barron will be very good if or when he figures out the maturity part. Could be from age 23-25 or 25+. How much patience will we have? Probably not much because we have a clutter of D to manage
We don’t have a clutter of rd and Barron panning out would be huge. Give him another year and we’ll see.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Dubois ship has long sailed for me. I would have gambled on him last summer....but after this season, I would only look to acquire him at that price point, if he has proven to be worth that price point. Dubois has proven the opposite to date, and it is not a gamble we should take at this point.

Trying to keep this on the downlow but have you noticed how Dubois was used by the Kings? 3rd line usage with limited talent to play with? Yeah, he should still produce but is he really the type to carry a line by himself? I'm fully aware of the risks but there are risks to having a declining Gallagher for 3 more years too. At least with Dubois, he is still young and we do have a core where he slides into and plays with better talent. His skating/size is an asset for me.

Both Gallagher and Dubois are overpaid. I think Dubois fits our roster more than Gallagher and he's younger. I do trust MSL will get Dubois motivated and play him with better talent that the Kings did.
Don't hate Gallagher but this deal works for me. Not something I would automatically decline.

I think Hutson starts in laval. The kid is small and very young. He needs time. Test struble first. And mailloux at rd before reinbacher.

Agreed. No doubt Huston will show his dynamic offensive skills but in the 2 games I saw, he needs some time to adjust to the pro game in his own end as a smaller D man. He was caught out of position a few times.

A proper evaluation is looking at both the Defense and Offensive side of things.

Reactions: bsl

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
0 chance Hughes places him on waivers.

But it will be interesting to see how Hughes handles the excess D. The only option I see to not have a trade is we go 8D in Montreal and Struble starts the year in Laval (barring injury). I think Hutson for sure starts in Montreal.

But I expect Hughes to trade 1 or 2 of Barron, Struble, Harris, or Kovacevic.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Struble/Harris
Kovacevic
I think Harris or Barron are probably the odd man out. KH will probably try to trade picks for a young players who has not reached his potential yet. Lundell could be a target. There's a couple of other names. He'll probably throw in a dman with the picks.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Harris or Barron are probably the odd man out. KH will probably try to trade picks for a young players who has not reached his potential yet. Lundell could be a target. There's a couple of other names. He'll probably throw in a dman with the picks.
He usually resolves disgruntled situations: he brought in Matheson for Petry, and moved Edmundson for a 3rd to keep room for all the young LD's. But it took him a while to solve the 3 goalie situation. So we'll see...

Did you watch the last two games of the regular season?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Did you watch the last two games of the regular season?
I love Hutson but I don't think these 2 games should mean much. He could very well start in Laval although I don't expect him to be there for long. Nothing wrong with having:

Huston-Reinbacher
X-Mailloux

Until we get more time to figure out what to do with the extra dmen on the team.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Like McDonough was a d man throw in. Be very careful with d man ‘throw ins’

Reactions: the

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think I would trade Winnipeg 1st pick to get rid of Gallagher contract this summer.

Why? To create more unused cap space or to use that on a over the hill 30+ UFA? Makes no sense.

Gallagher or Anderson (or both) for Dubois makes more sense. Still might have an anchor contract but I do feel Dubois rebounds with MSL and the Habs young core. Unless we have plans to play him 3rd or 4th line (like the Kings) and with less talent to work with.

The elephant in the room here is not noticing how Dubois was utilized by the Kings. Even on the Jets, Dubois was a pt/game player with Connor but not so much when they moved him down. He's clearly not the type to lead a line by himself so management is dumb to try it and expect different results.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem is McDo was traded for a useless player on the wrong side of 30 having one of the worst contarct in the league. I'm talking about a trade for a young talented forward here.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
McDonough had never played a game with the team when he was traded. Comparing him to Harris or Barron isn't fair as a throw-in. It would more be like if we "threw in" Reinbacher.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I love Hutson but I don't think these 2 games should mean much. He could very well start in Laval although I don't expect him to be there for long. Nothing wrong with having:

Huston-Reinbacher
X-Mailloux

Until we get more time to figure out what to do with the extra dmen on the team.
It makes sense from an asset management point of view. But if Hutson is as lights out in camp as he was the last two games in the season, they're not sending him to Laval. That we be a disserve to the team's season AND to his development.

MAYBE a guy like Struble gets sent down EVEN THOUGH he's better than Barron, or Harris, or Kovacevic. But, I think Hughes makes a trade this summer, and he may not be able to get full value for Harris, Struble, Barron, etc...

I already think Mailloux and Reinbacher will be NHL ready but playing in Laval because of the log jam. So the log jam is really at 11 D. Someone needs to go.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It makes sense from an asset management point of view. But if Hutson is as lights out in camp as he was the last two games in the season, they're not sending him to Laval. That we be a disserve to the team's season AND to his development.

MAYBE a guy like Struble gets sent down EVEN THOUGH he's better than Barron, or Harris, or Kovacevic. But, I think Hughes makes a trade this summer, and he may not be able to get full value for Harris, Struble, Barron, etc...

I already think Mailloux and Reinbacher will be NHL ready but playing in Laval because of the log jam. So the log jam is really at 11 D. Someone needs to go.

I'd argue that outside of his first 5 to 10 games Struble was worse than Xhekaj, Barron, Harris and even Lindstrom were this season. Barron may get more from being sent down, but its not a given and I would have Struble in the AHL next season.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd argue that outside of his first 5 to 10 games Struble was worse than Xhekaj, Barron, Harris and even Lindstrom were this season. Barron may get more from being sent down, but its not a given and I would have Struble in the AHL next season.

We have waiver exempt options if we can't unblock our D clutter this summer (big if). I'm with you, we don't have to be desperate to create space.

Having this many D is a good problem. Hughes managed 3 goalies and didn't want to loose Primeau. I'm sure he will sort it out.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would not believe that for one bit. I am sure Hughes talked with the Jets a lot but Hughes probably came to conclusion that we could not give them a young NHL body like Vilardi.

So maybe this is why there was not a formal offer. No doubt in my mind Hughes was in talks with the Jets.

Dude, that's what I wrote.

I could be wrong but I believe a saw an article that said Hughes didn't even get to the point of making an offer for PLD. Much of the rumours and smoke was pure speculation and never got serious. Maybe Chevy started asking for prospects/picks Hughes didn't consider trading or he was waiting/hoping PLD would hold out and lower his value before engaging.

I just don't think Habs were as involved in PLD as many thought they would be.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I mean if he forces his way on the team than of course he deserves it, but I don't think these 2 games should matter at all.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I mean if he forces his way on the team than of course he deserves it, but I don't think these 2 games should matter at all.
They don't but, I think they were very telling. Of course we'll have to see for sure. But, I think he'll be in Montreal.

Barron can't be sent down any more.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Agreed. Poehling got a hattrick in his "last game" tryout.

And talking about Hutson's games, he was great going forward and allllllll over the place on D. Which is what we knew he was. Like I always mention with Matheson, it's fine when we're okay with losing games. We'll see if he can adjust and keep the same level of O play and improve his D play.

Reactions: The Great Weal

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Think I would do this.

* Dubois for 7 years @ $7.5M
vs
* Gallagher for 3 @ $6.5M
* Dvorak for 1 (Habs can retain 50% to make the cap work better for LA next season).
* Harris
* Maybe we add a B prospect

Very good chance both Dubois and Gallagher waive their NMC. Gallagher gets to play with Danault again.

Risky to take on Dubois for 7 years at $7.5M but he can't be that done. I think MSL gets the best out of him and we can use his size up front.
Montreal has only 1 retention spot left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal has only 1 retention spot left.

I'm OK with that and if we don't like it, we can take Dvorak out of the package and not retain.

I'm not the desperate to trade Savard or Matheson next season. If we make improvements this summer and there is more growth from our youth, I see us as potential buyers at the next deadline. Yeah, I know, might be a crazy statement.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Why? To create more unused cap space or to use that on a over the hill 30+ UFA? Makes no sense.

Gallagher or Anderson (or both) for Dubois makes more sense. Still might have an anchor contract but I do feel Dubois rebounds with MSL and the Habs young core. Unless we have plans to play him 3rd or 4th line (like the Kings) and with less talent to work with.

The elephant in the room here is not noticing how Dubois was utilized by the Kings. Even on the Jets, Dubois was a pt/game player with Connor but not so much when they moved him down. He's clearly not the type to lead a line by himself so management is dumb to try it and expect different results.
I cannot believe the same people are still talking about Dubois in 2024. Imagine dodging the biggest bullet of your life then immediately running back in front of a firing squad to get shot again.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I cannot believe the same people are still talking about Dubois in 2024. Imagine dodging the biggest bullet of your life then immediately running back in front of firing squad.
Agreed, I'm ALL the way out on Dubois now. I was only in on him when it looked like he only wanted to come here.

Dude is a 6'4 Drouin who makes way more money.. No thanks.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad