HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Possible 11D next season, if no movement and kids play well .....

If they pick a D at... 5-7 ... i'm going to bust a lung!
BPA no matter what.

This isn't the Bergy era, HuGo aren't afraid to make big deals to get forwards....

Take the bpa and use the young D you have to make a deal along with the Peg 1st. I would bet they make a big deal for a forward at or near the draft.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
They will not be picking a Def with their 1st round pick.Only way i see that is they take BPA (a DEF) then flip him for something else.

BPA no matter what.

This isn't the Bergy era, HuGo aren't afraid to make big deals to get forwards....

Take the bpa and use the young D you have to make a deal along with the Peg 1st. I would bet they make a big deal for a forward at or near the draft.
Hugo will be making several huge trades at the draft or before the season starts.This team is ready for the next step.

Reactions: Expos94

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
They will not be picking a Def with their 1st round pick.Only way i see that is they take BPA (a DEF) then flip him for something else.

Hugo will be making several huge trades at the draft or before the season starts.This team is ready for the next step.
Why not? Take the BPA if they are making a deal or two for forwards.

This team has made so many draft mistakes by drafting based on need and not BPA. Cant keep doing that IMO....

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Guhle - Matheson
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Struble
Barron - Mailloux
Harris - Reinbacher
Kovacevic

All of them could be ready to start the year. How many do we trades, force to play in the AHL or loose to waivers?

Reactions: Benstheman

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Guhle - Matheson
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Struble
Barron - Mailloux
Harris - Reinbacher
Kovacevic

All of them could be ready to start the year. How many do we trades, force to play in the AHL or loose to waivers?

Regarding waiver-eligibility, here's the breakdown for the Habs' young D :

- Harris is already waiver-eligible

- Barron signed his contract at 20 years old, so his 3-seasons protection window ends this summer. He thus becomes waiver-eligible at the start of next season.

- Struble signed his contract at 22 years old, so his 3-seasons protection window would end after the 2025-2026. Since he should hit 70 GP in the course of next season however (15 games remaining), he'll become waiver-eligible by then.

- Guhle signed his contract at 18 years old and would have had a 5-seasons protection window (2025-2026). Since he should hit 160 GP in the course of next season however (46 games remaining), he'll become waiver-eligible by then.

- Xhekaj signed his contract at 20 years old and would have a 3-seasons protection window (2025-2026). He could however hit 160 GP in the course of next year (65 games remaining) and become waiver-eligible by then.

- Mailloux signed his contract at 19 years old, so he has a 4 seasons (2026-2027 or 160 GP protection window (159 games remaining).

- Hutson and Reinbacher signed their respective contracts at 19 years old, so they have a 4-seasons (2027-2028) or 160 GP protection window (159 and 160 games remaining respectively).

In summary, Harris, Guhle, Barron, Struble and Xhekaj could all in principle become waiver-eligible before the end of 2024-2025.

So if the Habs keep Matheson/Savard and want to integrate either Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux next season, they likely have to trade a couple of D to avoid losing assets for nothing.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Regarding waiver-eligibility, here's the breakdown for the Habs' young D :

- Harris is already waiver-eligible

- Barron signed his contract at 20 years old, so his 3-seasons protection window ends this summer. He thus becomes waiver-eligible at the start of next season.

- Struble signed his contract at 22 years old, so his 3-seasons protection window would end after the 2025-2026. Since he should hit 70 GP in the course of next season however (15 games remaining), he'll become waiver-eligible by then.

- Guhle signed his contract at 18 years old and would have had a 5-seasons protection window (2025-2026). Since he should hit 160 GP in the course of next season however (46 games remaining), he'll become waiver-eligible by then.

- Xhekaj signed his contract at 20 years old and would have a 3-seasons protection window (2025-2026). He could however hit 160 GP in the course of next year (65 games remaining) and become waiver-eligible by then.

- Mailloux signed his contract at 19 years old, so he has a 4 seasons (2026-2027 or 160 GP protection window (159 games remaining).

- Hutson and Reinbacher signed their respective contracts at 19 years old, so they have a 4-seasons (2027-2028) or 160 GP protection window (159 and 160 games remaining respectively).

In summary, Harris, Guhle, Barron, Struble and Xhekaj could all in principle become waiver-eligible before the end of 2024-2025.

So if the Habs keep Matheson/Savard and want to integrate either Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux next season, they likely have to trade a couple of D to avoid losing assets for nothing.
We should have extra roster spots available next fall then. If we don't have to protect Struble, Wifi, Guhle.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Guhle - Matheson
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Struble
Barron - Mailloux
Harris - Reinbacher
Kovacevic

It's apparent as of this evening, more than ever this season, that at least one has to go this summer. Hopefully HuGo can find a young or mid-20s forward whose stock is down this past year. Or who would be on his way out due to a frayed relationship with a coach for example: someone on the Flyers roster maybe? Or looking to leave one of the least desirable cities https://i.redd.it/bx275ndlztfc1.jpeg , say Winnipeg, Buffalo or Ottawa?
Which of these could use a player like Matheson (who I'm loath to trade, but here we are...) and has a top-line player on the way out, or a promising young player disinclined to sign in exchange for one of our younger surplus D?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It’s Caufield.

He decided he doesn’t like him anymore this year and he’s his punching bag.
Yes that is over reaction and quite possibly the worst time to trade him because no team will offer the moon for a player on his first year out of a 8 years deal.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's apparent as of this evening, more than ever this season, that at least one has to go this summer. Hopefully HuGo can find a young or mid-20s forward whose stock is down this past year. Or who would be on his way out due to a frayed relationship with a coach for example: someone on the Flyers roster maybe? Or looking to leave one of the least desirable cities https://i.redd.it/bx275ndlztfc1.jpeg , say Winnipeg, Buffalo or Ottawa?
Which of these could use a player like Matheson (who I'm loath to trade, but here we are...) and has a top-line player on the way out, or a promising young player disinclined to sign in exchange for one of our younger surplus D?
I'm thinking similar to Romanov deal. A Defenseman like a Harris, plus our early 3rd for a mid first round pick. Draft a Sennecke or Hage type.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I feel like that would be no where near enough for a mid first round pick?

I mean shit if all it takes to get a pick in the 15-20 range is Harris + a 3rd round pick sign me up.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'm thinking similar to Romanov deal. A Defenseman like a Harris, plus our early 3rd for a mid first round pick. Draft a Sennecke or Hage type.
That's going to get you a 2nd round pick.

Romanov had untapped potential + physicality that Harris does not have. It was arguably Hughes' best trade -- Romanov for 13OA is incredible value. Harris and a 3rd for a 15-18OA is just not feasible.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course, his season after his surgery isn’t good enough for you.

Sorry they’re not trading one of their only 3 good forwards. They need to add, not trade them.
Dach? Newhook? Demidov? Roy?

It's more than the shoulder. He's been making shit decisions and he's costing a lot of puck possession. He's just not as smart as we thought he was.

I'd seriously explore the trade avenue while his value is still high. The last thing we want is to fall in love with players and not see beyond their qualities . The end goal is at least a cup and I'm not sure Caufield is that essential.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Romanov is a top 3 D on a PO team. He's physical, he's good defensively, hes big and he's still very young.

Harris is none of these things and hes the same age. That package gets you a 2nd.
That's going to get you a 2nd round pick.

Romanov had untapped potential + physicality that Harris does not have. It was arguably Hughes' best trade -- Romanov for 13OA is incredible value. Harris and a 3rd for a 15-18OA is just not feasible.
I don't know if it was incredible value. Getting a 22 YO unicorn top 3 D is probably worth even a bit more. The gamble was good from Hughes though and ultimately it lead to a better team, if Dach can stay healthy.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dumping Anderson for another guy in need for a change would be great. I'd even add one of the surplus D and/or the Jets pick to make it happen.

Any candidates?

Reactions: Mrb1p

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Dach? Newhook? Demidov? Roy?

It's more than the shoulder. He's been making shit decisions and he's costing a lot of puck possession. He's just not as smart as we thought he was.

I'd seriously explore the trade avenue while his value is still high. The last thing we want is to fall in love with players and not see beyond their qualities . The end goal is at least a cup and I'm not sure Caufield is that essential.
Newhook, Roy, and a guy not even drafted.

Sorry those guys, other than Dach, aren’t equal or better than him.

Having players with no high end qualities, just good ‘’all around’’ doesn’t work either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad