Proposal: Trade/FA Thread Offseason Edition Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I've played sports with a lot of jerks in my life and I've seen guys change with a different set of teammates. They are still vocal but they fall in line more than their previous situation. We ran lots of hockey tournaments back in my 20's and recruited guys like that over and over again. I'd say we were able convert them into better humans and they made our team better (more often than not). Creating the right culture is key. Who on the Rangers could be someone he respects and get him to calm down? I don't see it. I think the culture allowed this aggressive individual to get out of hand.

I don't see the risks of signing him to an AAV close to $1M. Our team core is tight and it won't derail it to a point where our management keeps him in. If he tries the same stuff, he's gone and it's done with and in the past.

I'd take a low risk chance on him for sure... with a short leash

It's not about being a jerk with DeAngelo though. He's a terrible person in general.

That said, as for trying to "change him", why bother? Our guys need to focus on playing hockey and trying to win rather than having to babysit a grown-ass man.

Ultimately, he won't accept any "show me" contract unless it's October and he's still unsigned. Plus, doubtful he'll be happy playing in a "foreign" city.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've also been involved with sports my entire life and still am. I've seen how one jerk can poison an otherwise good group of people many times. I've also seen teams have more success after losing a talented jerk who on paper should make the team better.

Habs have a tight group but we're losing one of the straws that stirs the drink in Weber. Price doesn't say a lot. We're losing all the deadline veterans we picked up, likely losing Danault, possibly losing Perry. We could have Drouin coming back who doesn't really fall in line with the players I mentioned.

Keep Deangelo far far away!

You seen a group get poisoned with a jerk added to them and you also seen a group have more success after the talented jerk is gone? :sarcasm:. This kind of is in line with the low risks I am talking about and if we sign Deangelo, he won't be around for long if he tries the same stuff. So I consider this low risks

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not about who deserves? So Suzuki leapfrogging KK was not due to him deserving it??
Never said...I just don't think that has anything to do with anything.

Romanov played 54 of 56 games this season and he played 2 of 22 playoff games.

Did he "deserve" to sit for Jon Merrill?

What did Jon Merrill do to "deserve" being in the playoffs lineup?

Danault was our no1 C because we had no other option... and the team suck as a result. I dont want to be stuck in the same situation... put in place contingencies, don't expect player to magically get to the next level.
A - there's no other option for the #2 role right now either.

B - this relates to my earlier point abour meritocracy being irrrlevant...as you just said, Danault got the role because no one else was there. Not necessarily because be deserved it.

There's nothing magical about Kotkaniemi occupying the 2nd line C role next season. I'd say that's the next step in his development. We're there now.

You don't always have the luxury of having all of the information before you make a decision.

Last offseason we weren't sure if Suzuki could handle playing behind Danault...it was his sophomore season, what about the jinx? The inexperience? The bad faceoff numbers, etc...heard the same excuses all last offseason.

He turned out decent didn't he? (Although some calls to send him back to the AHL during the season were also comical).

Shocking what a bit of confidence and opportunity can bring.

KK has been given a chance to prove himself, and will be provided more chance moving forward.... but until he plays as a 2nd C.... he's not one! So get one, work on KK and if you have 2 2nd C at some point next season then you have fantastic depth and roll 3 offensive lines. what is not to like with that?
This isn't really accurate... Kotkaniemi has been a bit member of this team for 3 years, never part of the top 6 and on the periphery of the top 9.

Yet people expect him to put up top 6 numbers...it's one of the weirdest narratives here but also typical.

I'd personally have no issue with Kotkaniemi as the #2C next year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With the market the way it is and Seth Jones getting 9.5M, Hamilton should be able to get 9.5M at least if he tries to maximize the dollar value of his contract.

I think Hamilton gets $6M - $7M range offers by a lot of teams. Maybe a few offer $7M - $8M range. I don't see Hamilton getting $8-$9.5M range. Only team I see doing that is the Habs cause we have a free $8M to spend with Weber on LTIR.

If the cap was not projected to be flat for the next 3 years (+/-), I'd agree with you. If Hamilton gets $9.5M, I hope it's not with the Habs!

Jones > Hamilton.

Last edited:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
That looks pretty good. I'd take Granlund over Saad and Hoffman. The salaries these players are going to be asking for are back in the pre-covid range and I'd be reluctant to give term to any of these wingers.

For now, I like the following wing pairs:
Anderson - Caufield
Drouin - Gallagher
Toffoli - Armia
Byron - Lehkonen/Perry

If Anderson doesn't work with Caufield, I don't know where to put him. I think he 's a 4th liner.

I think that a Anderson - Suzuki - Caufeild can work. Anderson can stretch the game and open up lanes for Suzuki and Caufield. He's ok in puck retreval which can really help the other two. I want to see 10-15 games of that line before saying it does not work.

I like the idea of Drouin - KK - Gally to. neither Gally or KK are very good at carrying the puck... Drouin can help there and Drouin defensive shortcoming could be offset by the other two.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
With the market the way it is and Seth Jones getting 9.5M, Hamilton should be able to get 9.5M at least if he tries to maximize the dollar value of his contract.

I think Hamilton gets $6M - $7M range offers by a lot of teams. Maybe a few offer $7M - $8M range. I don't see Hamilton getting $8-$9.5M range. Only team I see doing that is the Habs cause we have a free $8M to spend with Weber on LTIR.

If the cap was not projected to be flat for the next 3 years (+/-), I'd agree with you. If Hamilton gets $9.5M, I hope it's not with the Habs!

After Jones got a 8 year $9.5 million deal I see Hamilton getting 7 years at $9 million as well. He’s by far the best UFA D on the market. The next best is Tyson Barrie.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

B - this relates to my earlier point abour meritocracy being irrrlevant...as you just said, Danault got the role because no one else was there. Not necessarily because be deserved it.

There's nothing magical about Kotkaniemi occupying the 2nd line C role next season. I'd say that's the next step in his development. We're there now.

You don't always have the luxury of having all of the information before you make a decision.

Last offseason we weren't sure if Suzuki could handle playing behind Danault...it was his sophomore season, what about the jinx? The inexperience? The bad faceoff numbers, etc...heard the same excuses all last offseason.

He turned out decent didn't he? (Although some calls to send him back to the AHL during the season were also comical).

This isn't really accurate... Kotkaniemi has been a bit member of this team for 3 years, never part of the top 6 and on the periphery of the top 9.

Yet people expect him to put up top 6 numbers...it's one of the weirdest narratives here but also typical.

This is going to be KK’s 4th year in the league. It’s time to start taking the training wheels off and get him into the top 6.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Danault deserved to be 1c by virtue of being MTL best C.... Was he a NHL 1st C, no... but on MTL team he was and deserved to have that role. When Suzuki emerge as a better option, Danault was push down: meritocratie.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think that a Anderson - Suzuki - Caufeild can work. Anderson can stretch the game and open up lanes for Suzuki and Caufield. He's ok in puck retreval which can really help the other two. I want to see 10-15 games of that line before saying it does not work.

I like the idea of Drouin - KK - Gally to. neither Gally or KK are very good at carrying the puck... Drouin can help there and Drouin defensive shortcoming could be offset by the other two.

I just think Suzuki and Caufield MAY be maximized by playing with another forward that can make plays - as Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak works so well because all three can play.

Do you remember that 3 on 1 against Tampa where Caufiled passed the puck to Anderson and Anderson couldn't do anything with it because he can't make passing plays lines with his linemates? That was my concern before it happened and my concern going forward...

Drouin may really benefit from playing with an intense player like Gallagher that drives you into the fight.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Agreed. As Ray Ferraro said “ But you can’t play him on the fringes of your top 9 and expect top 6 production. Like how’s that going to work.”

For myself the biggest thing I want to see with Kotkaniemi in the regular season is consistent linemates. Stop moving him all over the lineup.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Erik Johnson remains very interesting to me...
As long as he's fully recovered from the concussion issue, the additional time off that gave him to rest up his body and heal/strengthen the previous issues is a net benefit.

Suspect he comes into next season highly motivated to get a few more seasons of good hockey in. With Weber out, he's a great fit as a short term replacement at top 4 RD... strong leader, big frame, better skating & puck skills.

Plus, asking price likely to be quite low if we don't require retention or equal cap going back.

EJ for Byron?
EJ & 2nd for Kulak & b prospect?

If Avs re-sign landeskog or splurge for his replacement via Ufa, something like that should work.
I don't hate it although at 6 millions for two more years, they'd 100% need to take a bad contract back the other way.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
In situations like this, I have seen people like him get alienated by several other players and if the coach or upper management don't act quickly, it spins into disgruntled situations because the issues not resolved on the spot. It happens more often than you think.

Not making excuses for him. He needs to change but I feel he could change if he had a different team and that team has vets and character guys he can follow. Great leadership can do wonders. If he tries the same stuff, cut him and move his contract to the AHL. Just don't sign him for too long and keep it close to $1M. Sorry, I don't see the risks in terms of him ruining our dressing room.

And I bet you the actual players within the NHLPA know more about the actual context and all Bergevin has to do is talk to Price, Gallagher, Petry, and some others on the idea of signing him. Let your core group decide

If MB talks to the leadership group beforehand: Price, Edmundson, Petry, Chiarot and Gallagher, and they give their seal of approval then I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't do more than one year that's for sure.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If MB talks to the leadership group beforehand: Price, Edmundson, Petry, Chiarot and Gallagher, and they give their seal of approval then I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't do more than one year that's for sure.

I believe Bergevin is tight with this group and he will talk to them about it. He might have already talked to them at the last deadline. Doing a move like this without talking to your leaders is risky yes.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I just think Suzuki and Caufield MAY be maximized by playing with another forward that can make plays - as Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak works so well because all three can play.

Do you remember that 3 on 1 against Tampa where Caufiled passed the puck to Anderson and Anderson couldn't do anything with it because he can't make passing plays lines with his linemates? That was my concern before it happened and my concern going forward...

Drouin may really benefit from playing with an intense player like Gallagher that drives you into the fight.

You cant draw conclusion on one play. Anderson missing that pass is not indicative of him not being a good fit. At that rate... Marner and Matthews should never play toghter after the playoff they had.

I just think it is worth trying.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
You seen a group get poisoned with a jerk added to them and you also seen a group have more success after the talented jerk is gone? :sarcasm:. This kind of is in line with the low risks I am talking about and if we sign Deangelo, he won't be around for long if he tries the same stuff. So I consider this low risks

Imagine Deangelo come in and form a friendship with Poehling (a kid who took heat for his Republican beliefs).

I get your low risk point but Deangelo's been an asshole bully since he was in Junior and has shown no signs of growing up. I don't want his negative influence on any Habs players even for one day.

Not to mention, he's brutal defensively.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine Deangelo come in and form a friendship with Poehling (a kid who took heat for his Republican beliefs).

I get your low risk point but Deangelo's been an asshole bully since he was in Junior and has shown no signs of growing up. I don't want his negative influence on any Habs players even for one day.

Not to mention, he's brutal defensively.

Poehling likely is in the AHL next year. Lets say he isn't and makes the Habs. I don't care if Deangelo and Poehling become friends cause they are Republican's. I only care about the core and how players put the team first and if our vets like Price, Petry, Gallagher, Edmundson, etc are OK with the idea of giving him a shot to fit in our team environment. If they say yes and we can get Deangelo on a AAV close to $1M, I don't see the risks of him causing cancer that lives with us forever even if we cut ties with him before that year expires.

I'm not a fan of alienating people. I'm a fan of rehabilitating them to be better adults by providing good leadership and we have that culture for him if he is willing to come. Think about it, if he says no to us, it means he has no interest to be a better person. If he says yes, he knows very well our room is not like the Rangers and he's coming in with a different set of expectations on behavior

Rangers 20/21: Who are the leaders and vets? Panarin, Kreider, and Zibanejad?

Rangers 19/20: Lundqvist and Staal?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad