GDT: Trade Deadline - Where does Toff go? (answer: Winnipeg) Do we get a goalie?? (answer: Jake Allen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Why?

We got rid of a PROBLEM for next year and don't have to worry about him or buying him out or any of that, for a guy that's a UFA.

This is a WIN.

Maybe even a bigger win than the Allen trade and since I found out Montreal was retaining 50% on Allen, I don't even dislike the deal at all.

This second trade does seem to fully signal we are still going goalie shopping for next year with Allen presumably being the backup with one of Daws/Schmid being the 3rd and the 4th I would assume going back in said goalie trade.

Reactions: Bleedred

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
The goalie moves today make plenty of sense:

Kahkonen is a UFA, bring him in for a 20 game audition and see how it goes. If he plays well, see if you can sign him to a team friendly deal.

Allen plays a few games so they can get a look at him, if Kakonen plays as good or better you move Allen in the trade for the starter - if not you let Kahkonen walk.

The path is set, hopefully we identify and close on that starter in the off-season.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I take it you haven't watched Montreal, eh? I can't believe I'm having to argue with multiple people that giving up a 3rd or 2nd for cooked Allen is a waste of resources.

Unless he was just mailing it in in MTL, he's done.
Honestly I haven’t but I’m so disgusted with the goaltending we got this year I’d take a practice goalie net 🥅

Reactions: theoptimist

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Honestly I haven’t but I’m so disgusted with the goaltending we got this year I’d take a practice goalie net 🥅
Lol fair enough. Just be careful what ya ask for....

At least Daws and Schmid are likeable. Allen loafing around in net will give people a stroke.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The goalie moves today make plenty of sense:

Kahkonen is a UFA, bring him in for a 20 game audition and see how it goes. If he plays well, see if you can sign him to a team friendly deal.

Allen plays a few games so they can get a look at him, if Kakonen plays as good or better you move Allen in the trade for the starter - if not you let Kahkonen walk.

The path is set, hopefully we identify and close on that starter in the off-season.
Agree with this. If Kahkonen out plays Allen, then Allen should be easy to trade next season at $2m or if Devils retain, then its a $1m backup for some team. They could even waive him and he becomes the teams 3rd goalie, if they want to keep Daws and Schmid full time in Utica next season.

It also doesnt prohibit us from going after a legit starter like Saros/Ullmark/Markstrom in the offseason.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I take it you haven't watched Montreal, eh? I can't believe I'm having to argue with multiple people that giving up a 3rd or 2nd for cooked Allen is a waste of resources.

Unless he was just mailing it in in MTL, he's done.

It's already been discussed - Allen has been better than our goalies at 5v5 and has been getting killed by MTL terrible PK.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Agree with this. If Kahkonen out plays Allen, then Allen should be easy to trade next season at $2m or if Devils retain, then its a $1m backup for some team. They could even waive him and he becomes the teams 3rd goalie, if they want to keep Daws and Schmid full time in Utica next season.

Where does Poulter fit in this? Why bother giving him an NHL contract?

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
It's already been discussed - Allen has been better than our goalies at 5v5 and has been getting killed by MTL terrible PK.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: For THREE YEARS?!?!?!?! Talk about a strawman. Be blindly optimistic, fine, that's okay I get it. But don't make bs arguments.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Toffoli trade isnt great or even really good, but overall job is good with all of this trades. Not spectacular, not great, but good.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: For THREE YEARS?!?!?!?! Talk about a strawman. Be blindly optimistic, fine, that's okay I get it. But don't make bs arguments.
People dont give a F about doomers, because when this team will return to be great when some young players will develop and Fitz will sign a couple of good players to help, no one will see this doomers again. Its okay to understand context better. This is how people try to understand trades, moves and potential.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Toffoli trade isnt great or even really good, but overall job is good with all of this trades. Not spectacular, not great, but good.

I think it's obvious that Fitz wanted to retain him, but the player was asking for too much for too long.

Players prerogative to get as much as they possibly can. I wish him well.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I'm happy because it's different, not because it's good.

Still too late. I find it hard to believe Montreal/SJ were asking for Jack and multiple 1sts 2 months ago for these guys.

Still think Fitz slow played us out of the playoffs

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007

People dont give a F about doomers, because when this team will return to be great when some young players will develop and Fitz will sign a couple of good players to help, no one will see this doomers again. Its okay to understand context better. This is how people try to understand trades, moves and potential.
See, childish and immature nonsense calling people dOOmERS because they point out issues with a trade, signing, team play, etc. adds nothing to the conversation. Makes this place boring.

Idk why what few posters on here who go against the grain (before their position becomes consensus lol) get labeled as doomers just because they don't praise every single thing the org does. People prefer to just have the same opinion as everyone else and pat themselves on the back. So exciting.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
He'd make for an expensive 3C, but could be the new Haula for Jack as well and push Haula down. I'd love that move.
He's having a really down year after a great regular season and fantastic postseason last year. Would def be careful with him considering he's probably looking to cash in with his contract history

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
My ratings:
Toffoli trade: D
Disappointed at the return. But can acknowledge for some reason wingers werent in demand. I would of pushed LA hard. Even if they were reluctant to give up their 1st a young player like Laferriere or Turcotte would of been better than a 2nd and a 3rd.

Allen trade: C
Maybe overpaid by a round pick (I think Allen is only worth a 4th at best), but this was a trade that was available all season and Fitz only waited for deadline to do. It should of been done in November.

Miller trade: B
Fair value for a bottom pair RHD. Maybe this move frees DeSimone.

Kakhonen trade: A
He is better than Vitek and we got rid of Vitek contract term for next season. Great result. If Kakhonen doesnt work out we simply walk away given he is a pending UFA.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Was going to give Fitz a C-/D for his work this deadline but the Kahkonen trade pushes it to a solid C IMO.

Appreciate the input, I just don't understand how people (reporters/journalists/fans, etc.) assign trade grades? What are you comparing? Actual trades from expected trades? Are we assuming Fitz acted too late because Guentzel was traded last night? We're a non-playoff team, who cares....in fact, you might tip your hat to Fitz for acquiring two potential backups for next season. Of course, Gandalf, I mean, Markstrom could be in play.

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad