Trade Deadline - March 5 - Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo are now teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
A lot of players would be. His play in his own zone has been less than exemplary every time I have watched him play though (and yes, I know their team is bad all-around).

Apparently not because we can't seem to find one to slot into that 2nd line role.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Point is Hodgson puts up pretty good production for the team he's on. He's not an also ran and the Canucks traded him for an absolute plug.

The Canucks took a calculated risk in making a move for a type of player they though their roster needed (i.e. PF) and would eventually pan out. It ended up backfiring sure, but I can at least understand the thought process behind the move unlike the two moves they have made with their goalies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The Canucks took a calculated risk in making a move for a type of player they though their roster needed (i.e. PF) and would eventually pan out. It ended up backfiring sure, but I can at least understand the thought process behind the move unlike the two moves they have made with their goalies.

It was an awful trade when it was made...and it's an awful trade now.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

You get judged for making bad deals no matter what the reasoning is.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Pirri replaces Mathias and they get a better and younger starting goalie than geezer Thomas..also they get to the floor which is rising due to the cap rise and Bobby Lou's cap hit is higher than what FLA will pay him in cash and that gets down to a pittance by 2017...so in cash flow he'll that FLA faces this all is a nice talent + fiscal coup for Tallon. .also saves cap for VAN so that they can move Kesler and get more cap expensive. ..that is better..quality back rather than just picks or cheapies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I agree wholeheartedly. All I said is I understand the reasoning behind the Kassian trade. The other two...not so much.

Well with Schneider you had 2 starting goalies and no one wanted Luongo with that contract so it made perfect sense to move him.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
Getting a 3rd and 5th for Pirri seems like a good return now seeing all of these guys go for 4th picks. Fasth got the same return Pirri did.

Yeah now me thinking we couldve got a better shuffling of picks is out the window now seeing how the rest of the deadline has gone.

Also, Khudobin just signed an extension with the Canes. There goes that other thing about some of us on here thinking he'd be a good idea.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Well with Schneider you had 2 starting goalies and no one wanted Luongo with that contract so it made perfect sense to move him.

You move the younger goalie for a crap return? And then move the starter for crumbs later the next season?

Luongo could have fetched something (almost) similar to Schneider in the offseason and they still would have had him.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
What I don't understand is why they want to trade Kesler.

I would look at that team and put him in the core.

I'd trade the freakin sisters if I were them. Get some players in there with some actual character.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

I'd trade the freakin sisters if I were them. Get some players in there with some actual character.

He's 29, will be 30 before next year. They aren't going to be Stanley Cup contenders again for a long time. Get young assets for him while you can.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL

Now that they've dished Luongo it honestly sounds like they intend to be sellers. With his deal they have a good young center in Matthias, something that will work up to replace Kesler.

The Sedin twins have not had the best year due to injury and scoring slumps but I don't think you give up on them just yet.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Chris Johnston‏@reporterchris·1 min
The #coyotes have dealt defenceman David Rundblad to the #blackhawks.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Rundblad. If you score a point per game as a defenseman at the age of 20 in the SHL. You've got some skill.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The lesson learned so far today with 6 goalies traded os that you need to draft quantity and quality goalie assets...they always have trade value near deadline... Unfortunately Stan. ..unlike Bob Murray and ANH..has neglected that asset gathering of goalies strategy..so we do not see him making such position of strength...depth..moves to either get current improvements or future picks to continue the health of their pipeline going. Standard needs to build the quantity and quality of pipeline goalies who would be coveted by other teams on goalies needs OR would allow a trade of Crawford if the pipeline goalies prove equal or better to take a starter job...in other words..until Standard does this we got no goalies in our pipeline now that any other org would want..so one Standard has no EXTRANEOUS goalie assets he can afford to trade. ..nor can he trade Raanta for value cause he has no other options he can call up and rely on.. So Murray can trade Fast cause he has 2 he can rely on to replace him and he still might trade Hiller cause they have Andersen and Gibson waiting..quality depth of riches.while CHI has little in the goalies cupboard to come from below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad