Trade Deadline - March 5 - Tim Thomas and Roberto Luongo are now teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Haven't heard much from him lately but as the TD approaches, will Stan be active this year?

We still don't have our 2nd line center position established. One player that could be worth grabbing as a rental or otherwise, if we have the cap space, would be Nashville's Legwand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Stan has yet to get a real 2nd line center at the deadline.

I don't expect him to start now given the cap restraints and more importantly the Cup win last year without one.

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Would like to pickup a bottom 6 C/W who can also kill penalties. Going into playoffs relying on Handzus and Bollig to each play 10+ minutes per game is a big red flag. We need more depth. We have guys to deal....Morin, Kostka, others.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
adding depth would be great. Still have time. Don't want it to happen but injuries could open Cap Space and Team needs

LandofLincoln*

David Legwand would be perfect

There's enough cap space if we find a taker for Bickell. I think Stan would have to eat 1.25m a year on his deal. He has a NT clause so very difficult to trade.

It would be early to trade Oduya, but that is an option since he has a higher trade value than Bickell. Leddy gets promoted to Oduya's spot and we add Cledening. Losing Oduya opens up $$$ for a center.

Handzus, Oduya & B. Smith for Legwand should work. If we wanted to overpay we could offer Pirri or Morin Nashville's choice. That's a lot to pay for a rental, but we could sign Legwand for 2 more years.

We should bring up Brad Winchester. Bollig has been good, but Winchester has the size and a little more scoring touch. Waive Bollig if we can't get a 7th rounder.

I'm not sure who Rockford's top PK guy is but don't want to pay for a PK player since the Hawks PK has been normal of late. Maybe consider promoting Nordstrom where him and Kruger are the Swedish PK tandem, but that means trading Ben Smith.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
There's enough cap space if we find a taker for Bickell. I think Stan would have to eat 1.25m a year on his deal. He has a NT clause so very difficult to trade.

It would be early to trade Oduya, but that is an option since he has a higher trade value than Bickell. Leddy gets promoted to Oduya's spot and we add Cledening. Losing Oduya opens up $$$ for a center.

Handzus, Oduya & B. Smith for Legwand should work. If we wanted to overpay we could offer Pirri or Morin Nashville's choice. That's a lot to pay for a rental, but we could sign Legwand for 2 more years.

We should bring up Brad Winchester. Bollig has been good, but Winchester has the size and a little more scoring touch. Waive Bollig if we can't get a 7th rounder.

I'm not sure who Rockford's top PK guy is but don't want to pay for a PK player since the Hawks PK has been normal of late. Maybe consider promoting Nordstrom where him and Kruger are the Swedish PK tandem, but that means trading Ben Smith.

They're not going to trade Bickell at this deadline. I'm not debating whether they should or shouldn't, just saying it's highly, highly unlikely to take place. It just isn't a realistic expectation at all.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We'll pick up some random, no-name player, everyone will complain about it as not doing enough, and then it'll actually turn out well for us in a few months or year, as has happened in the past.

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
Didn't you hear guys? Bowman's gonna trade for Ladd.

VwMdLVC.gif

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Sign a guy hoping he can replicate his playoff performance, trade him before the playoffs.

This ****ing board.

fkGTS.gif

Cap space is pretty tight, so whoever they deal with is gonna need to take Kostka (or Brookbank technically, but they're not gonna go into the playoffs with their extra Dman being a guy who's played like 12 games at that point) back with them.

LandofLincoln*

Nashville trade

Oduya, Bickell, Pirri and 2nd rounder 2014 to Nashville.

D. Legwand, E. Nystrom, 4th round pick, AHL expiring contract.

Nashville can add Jeremy Morin but they would have to eat 600,000 X 3 years off of Nystrom's contract Nystrom currently at 2.5m a year.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica

Nashville can add Jeremy Morin but they would have to eat 600,000 X 3 years off of Nystrom's contract Nystrom currently at 2.5m a year.

Not sure if serious. That is ****ing horrific.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks have made a trade every year at the deadline since Bowman has been a GM. I'm sure even if it doesn't catch headlines, he will do something.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
I say, hypothetically, if the Capitals are several spots out of the wild card and playoffs at the deadline, we make a go at Mikhail Grabovski. Capitals are currently one spot out of the playoffs and 1-2 points from leaving the wild card spot they currently hold. Yes Grabo has a NMC but theres a good possibility he would want to come to a cup repeating team off a team that is a last spot playoff breakthrough team at best.

The reason why I am mentioning him over others, is because of Toronto eating his contract, his cap hit remains at a measly 3M. This would be much easier to accomplish with our cap the way it is. I say we give them Kris Versteeg and Brandon Pirri. Then they have their C replacement and some good secondary scoring. This way, Washington gets a younger guy who can sign for a multitude of years and a veteran presence, and Chicago gets the C that everyone insists they need.

The biggest challenge is whether the capitals will do this trade, since Grabo is working for them right now. Then again, they might want to because if they do resign him they will have to put him at a cap gobbling deal as he has proved his worth this year. Pirri and Versteeg would be a much cheaper option.

LandofLincoln*

I say, hypothetically, if the Capitals are several spots out of the wild card and playoffs at the deadline, we make a go at Mikhail Grabovski. Capitals are currently one spot out of the playoffs and 1-2 points from leaving the wild card spot they currently hold. Yes Grabo has a NMC but theres a good possibility he would want to come to a cup repeating team off a team that is a last spot playoff breakthrough team at best.

The reason why I am mentioning him over others, is because of Toronto eating his contract, his cap hit remains at a measly 3M. This would be much easier to accomplish with our cap the way it is. I say we give them Kris Versteeg and Brandon Pirri. Then they have their C replacement and some good secondary scoring. This way, Washington gets a younger guy who can sign for a multitude of years and a veteran presence, and Chicago gets the C that everyone insists they need.

The biggest challenge is whether the capitals will do this trade, since Grabo is working for them right now. Then again, they might want to because if they do resign him they will have to put him at a cap gobbling deal as he has proved his worth this year. Pirri and Versteeg would be a much cheaper option.

This works better than my proposal. I don't like getting rid of Versteeg because having him another 2 years at that cap hit is outstanding. The Hawks probably could sign Grabo to 4 years 3.5m, 4m, 4.5, 5m. He won't be cheap, but I think Toronto is paying him two more years?

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
This works better than my proposal. I don't like getting rid of Versteeg because having him another 2 years at that cap hit is outstanding. The Hawks probably could sign Grabo to 4 years 3.5m, 4m, 4.5, 5m. He won't be cheap, but I think Toronto is paying him two more years?

Legwand's 6M cap hit just isn't worth it to me especially at the risk of what we'd have to give up for him. Grabo has money coming in from TOR for 3 more years at 6M, 5M, and 4.5M respectively. So I think with that fact we can work with resigning him for a 2-3 year deal more from the 3-4 range. Aka in the lower to mid range for a top line quality guy.

This way we get to keep Bickell's playoff performance and by the time Toews and Kane have to be resigned a couple guys like Khabi, Brookbank, etc will be gone which will allow us to give them a 1-2M raise per player--this not even accounting for the cap raise at the end of the year.

I like the way Versteeg has preformed with us but we did fine without him when we didn't have him and I don't see us greatly improved as a team with him. If you could suggest a better trade asset in the 2-3M range to go to the Capitals then maybe. I just saw him as a good option because our scoring is not what we have trouble with.

I love the idea to fill a spot by open 2 - 3 others :laugh:

If you're talking about my trade you know damn well Pirri is not going to stick with the Hawks as long as Q is behind the bench. This is why I don't see it as an issue. May be a little bit much to give away to Washington for one player but I bet there would be a high likelihood Grabovski would stick with us if the deal is done--seems like players usually like playing for Chicago. After all, we do not know that TT will be ready next year for sure. He was drafted with the ideal of developing for multiple years before coming over to us.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
talk about Oduya, Bickell and Smith.

your trade makes no sense with Versteeg on it. Versteeg for 2.2 a year is an absolute steal and perfect value for a contending team

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
talk about Oduya, Bickell and Smith.

your trade makes no sense with Versteeg on it. Versteeg for 2.2 a year is an absolute steal and perfect value for a contending team

No one is going to want Bickell with the way his contract is. Plus we signed him purely for playoff performance which teams who could afford to have him will likely be out of the playoff running and therefore he won't be valuable to them for his salary.

Versteeg has had 7 goals and 10 assists in 31 games. At least 2-3 of those were lucky bounces. I'm sure if we brought someone up from Rockford plus whenever Kane decides to come back to life we will make up those points...plus...Grabovski has had 12 goals and 33 assists in 46 games. That is nearly a point a game. To exchange a half a point a game player for a basically point a game player is a good idea in my opinion. Grabovski will likely make up Versteeg's offense alone without even considering Kane or a Rockford player right now. Sure Versteeg comes cheap, but if we are able to secure Grabo at around 3-4M a year thats relatively cheap for a guy like that.

Right now Grabovski is centering Ovechkin and Laich, aka a great player and an arguable dud for a guy on the first line. Imagine what Grabovski could do with two studs, Saad and Kane. He could really make magic happen.

If we trade Oduya we're going to need a guy to put in his place. Honestly, I think we should wait till the offseason just on chemistry's sake. He has good chemistry with Hammer and shaking that up before playoffs might not be the greatest idea. Kane hasn't been clicking with any center we've tried him on as of late so no loss there.

As for Smith he is +2 with 14 points in 43 games on the 4th line. Thats pretty great with limited minutes and tons of other offensive talent on our team stealing points away. I don't understand what the point of trading him would be.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

That is an absolutely awful deal for Hawks

Not to mention Bickell + Oduya have NTC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad