Speculation: Trade deadline - March 2 - 3:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I got a Jones jersey last week so there's obviously gonna be some sort of deal coming in the near future for him that Poile can't turn down. Let's hope it's a dandy.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This! Vermette could cost us some assets but really feel that if we are going to compete for the cup he could be the perfect player to help us. We have to be strong down the middle and he is pretty much ideal fit to Preds imo.

Forsberg-Ribs-Neal
Wilson-Fisher-Smith
Jarnkrok-Vermette-Beck/Stalberg/Cullen
Nystrom-Gaustad-Beck/Stalberg/Cullen

That's the type of deal we need to make, and that's the kind of forward group that can go far in the playoffs. Do we pony up our 1st and a prospect though, or is that too high?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Bartley, and Volchenkov. Plus Diaby coming up, high end iq defensemen like Ellis are extremely hard to replace, whereas defensemen like Ekholm i.e middle of the road, are easier.

I'll take an Ekholm/Jones pairing over Ekholm/Ellis long term any day of the week. While Ellis has a high IQ, he does lack size and while it may not be a big deal now, come playoff time, can he handle the pounding with his size? This is something he lacks and while Jones may not have the high IQ Ellis has, he certainly isn't lacking in his understanding of the game, he just needs seasoning and experience and once he gets that, he's going to leapfrog Ellis rather easily. The skill set and size Jones possesses is so much greater than what Ellis can offer with his skills and high IQ.

I love that Ellis has grown but I want to see what he does come playoff time before we start moving Jones in any sort of deal.

Also, really, Bartley, Volchenkov or Diaby replacing Ekholm? None of them can play the two way game that Ekholm plays at this point. To me, he's probably the most underrated of the guys we have on the blue line.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
I'll take an Ekholm/Jones pairing over Ekholm/Ellis long term any day of the week. While Ellis has a high IQ, he does lack size and while it may not be a big deal now, come playoff time, can he handle the pounding with his size? This is something he lacks and while Jones may not have the high IQ Ellis has, he certainly isn't lacking in his understanding of the game, he just needs seasoning and experience and once he gets that, he's going to leapfrog Ellis rather easily. The skill set and size Jones possesses is so much greater than what Ellis can offer with his skills and high IQ.

I love that Ellis has grown but I want to see what he does come playoff time before we start moving Jones in any sort of deal.

Also, really, Bartley, Volchenkov or Diaby replacing Ekholm? None of them can play the two way game that Ekholm plays at this point. To me, he's probably the most underrated of the guys we have on the blue line.

I don't want to move Jones or Ellis, I'd rather move Ekholm is what I was saying, and we will have to agree to disagree on Ekholm being that much better than Bartley or Volchenkov, or a progressing Diaby in a few years.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
That's the type of deal we need to make, and that's the kind of forward group that can go far in the playoffs. Do we pony up our 1st and a prospect though, or is that too high?

I think that 2nd or a 3rd rounder and a prospect (Sissons/Mazanec) could get it done. Vermette is a 32year old rental and can't be considered as a "star" so I think that would be a pretty fair deal.

Imo it would be stupid to blow our defence now and really don't see any realistic possibility of GMDP trading Ellis or Jones. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

From what I read from the Ads guys Diaby is nowhere close to being ready for play at the NHL level.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I would not be shocked to see Jones moved. It has be talked about.

My fear ireplacing his 17-18 mins a night with Volchenkov. Need aNHL ready/vet RHD

Pretty crazy how the draft a couple years ago really changed so much for this team. We could have Weber/Ellis/Klein down the right side right now with Drouin/Barkov as well. Even if we still had Klein with us we would be able to move Jones for that young center and still be just fine. I'm not hating on Jones however. Just pointing out how Florida kinda screwed us over by passing up Jones and how DP was probably planing out the future. When Jones dropped it changed everything. Once Klein was moved the writing was on the wall that this is our D-core for a long time down the right side. Jones isn't going anywhere.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think moving Jones at this point for anything other than a bonafide star player is a mistake. I buy into him. He has elite tools. Patience is needed.

That said, in terms of deadline deals, I am going to actually agree with triggr: a true checking forward that can play the pk and absorb 12 minutes a night with ease would be a boon.

In addition to that, an additional scorer, whether that is a winger or center would be ideal, preferably a center.

If Kessel ever did become available, I would love to see him on this team.

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013
What's everyone's opinion on Kadri? I'd be curious what we would have to give up to aquire him at the deadline.

Forsberg - Riberio - Smith
Wilson - Kadri - Neal
Fisher - Jarnkrok - Cullen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Beck

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I think moving Jones at this point for anything other than a bonafide star player is a mistake. I buy into him. He has elite tools. Patience is needed.

That said, in terms of deadline deals, I am going to actually agree with triggr: a true checking forward that can play the pk and absorb 12 minutes a night with ease would be a boon.

In addition to that, an additional scorer, whether that is a winger or center would be ideal, preferably a center.

If Kessel ever did become available, I would love to see him on this team.

We get Kessel we better keep him away from the Loveless Cafe...cause those biscuits would bulk him up quick!

On the flip side we could get him to sponsor a marathon.."The Nashville Predators invite you to join your favorite Predators personalties in raising money for <insert charity> on the 1st Annual Kessel Run at Centennial Park!"

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I only go into details of where this comes from with people I actually know, because they know I'm not full of s***, but I have a generally-accurate source that says Poile is more than interested in Kessel. Being on a message board, it sounds like BS, but I've already had this conversation with several people.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I only go into details of where this comes from with people I actually know, because they know I'm not full of s***, but I have a generally-accurate source that says Poile is more than interested in Kessel. Being on a message board, it sounds like BS, but I've already had this conversation with several people.
Taking this at face value, I have a feeling that the cost would not be nearly close to what most (esp. Leaf fans) are expecting it would be. As conservative as Poile is, I can't imagine him gutting significant talent off a league-leading roster, even if Kessel is the return.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We get Kessel we better keep him away from the Loveless Cafe...cause those biscuits would bulk him up quick!

On the flip side we could get him to sponsor a marathon.."The Nashville Predators invite you to join your favorite Predators personalties in raising money for <insert charity> on the 1st Annual Kessel Run at Centennial Park!"
lol, the winner has to do it under twelve parsecs.

I really hope we don't give up Jones for Kessel. I worry that Kessel is as poisonous as Radulov.

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
Am I the only one who thinks we ought to try standing pat at the deadline this time? I mean, how well has it worked in the past when we have loaded up for a playoff run by acquiring rentals (Foppa, Whitt, Radulov, A Koistitsyn, Markov) in exchange for prospects and draft picks? It's like Poile turns into TommyBoy thinking that he is close to a sale and kills it like he did with the dinner rolls.

maxresdefault.jpg

It makes me wonder if we lose some chemistry in the room by doing this, and might we be better off dancing with who got us here and hanging on to our assets and picks.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Am I the only one who thinks we ought to try standing pat a the deadline? I mean, how well has it worked in the past when we have loaded up for a playoff run by acquiring rentals (Foppa, Whitt, Radulov, A Koistitsyn, Markov) in exchange for prospects and draft picks?

It makes me wonder if we lose some chemistry in the room by doing this, and might we be better off dancing with who got us here and hanging on to our assets and picks.

We hung onto our assets for two years, time to unload a couple to improve our team's depth ... Kessel will come in motivated

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
lol, the winner has to do it under twelve parsecs.

I really hope we don't give up Jones for Kessel. I worry that Kessel is as poisonous as Radulov.
On the former, I completely agree.

On the latter, I think Weber is the undisputed alpha dog in the clubhouse at this point. Kessel wouldn't be bearing the weight of the franchise on his shoulders and could just go out and score goals.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Taking this at face value, I have a feeling that the cost would not be nearly close to what most (esp. Leaf fans) are expecting it would be. As conservative as Poile is, I can't imagine him gutting significant talent off a league-leading roster, even if Kessel is the return.

Not to sit here and sound like Eklund, but what I heard (as of yesterday) was "Stalberg and a second player", which lends some credence to your theory. But then again, Stalberg would require a huge add-on. In that scenario, needing to add someone to a package with Stalberg makes me uneasy.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not to sit here and sound like Eklund, but what I heard (as of yesterday) was "Stalberg and a second player", which lends some credence to your theory. But then again, Stalberg would require a huge add-on. In that scenario, needing to add someone to a package with Stalberg makes me uneasy.
Just spitballing, but Fiala makes the most sense to trade around here. He's a young, cheap, potentially elite, replacement on the wing that fits into the Nylander/Reilly grouping, and while it would suck to lose him, our top 6 wings would be set for the time being...and we don't lose anything off the roster (except for some salaries, perhaps). Obviously more value could be added. I think the desire to get out under contracts is a very strong motivation for some GMs.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Just spitballing, but Fiala makes the most sense to trade around here. He's a young, cheap, potentially elite, replacement on the wing that fits into the Nylander/Reilly grouping, and while it would suck to lose him, our top 6 wings would be set for the time being...and we don't lose anything off the roster (except for some salaries, perhaps). Obviously more value could be added.

Yeah that's an idea, especially if they're in complete rebuild mode, but part of me wonders if we don't try and send back more salary to offset what Kessel would bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00