GDT: Trade Deadline Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I agree. Helgeson isn't an every night guy. Good stopgap and a useful guy to have, but I don't think he'll be an NHL regular.

I'm happy with the way our young defense is developing but it's not quite set yet, we need another guy. If it's just temporary and Santini is that guy in 1-2 years, I can live with that. If we can add a legit top guy without giving much up, even better.

I think our problems at forward are amplified by the fact our best passers/puck movers are either playing absurd defensive minutes or playing with incompetent partners. If we could free them up and get more production from the back end it would be a huge boost to our team scoring.

Schlemko can be a big part of that going forward.

Schlemko has been overrated a bit here. He's been a pleasant surprise offensively but he is very iffy on the defensive side. He's been heavily protected on his zone starts a good chunk of the time. He's a partial although not primary reason why our best defensemen don't get a better mix of zone starts and and time on specials.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
The 2016 draft 3rd round is confusing, but I think I have it accurate.

We lost our own 3rd round pick to Pitt when we signed Hynes, but that pick went to Toronto in the Kessel deal and we got it back from Toronto when they signed Lou from us.

The pick from Florida goes to Anaheim for Palmieri.

We get a pick from Detroit for Zidlicky

We get a pick from Ottawa for allowing them to move up in last year's draft.

So by my count we have 3 third round picks not 2.

For the record I am for trading Schlemko. In the blink of an eye he is a -15.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
Schlemko has been overrated a bit here. He's been a pleasant surprise offensively but he is very iffy on the defensive side. He's been heavily protected on his zone starts a good chunk of the time. He's a partial although not primary reason why our best defensemen don't get a better mix of zone starts and and time on specials.

Agreed Schlemko and Gelinas can go.

We are left with

Larsson Greene
Merrill Severson
Moore Helgeson

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The 2016 draft 3rd round is confusing, but I think I have it accurate.

We lost our own 3rd round pick to Pitt when we signed Hynes, but that pick went to Toronto in the Kessel deal and we got it back from Toronto when they signed Lou from us.

The pick from Florida goes to Anaheim for Palmieri.

We get a pick from Detroit for Zidlicky

We get a pick from Ottawa for allowing them to move up in last year's draft.

So by my count we have 3 third round picks not 2.

For the record I am for trading Schlemko. In the blink of an eye he is a -15.

Most of that's correct I think except that Toronto doesn't need to give us a third this year, just sometime in the next three years. So as of this moment we have two.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Most of that's correct I think except that Toronto doesn't need to give us a third this year, just sometime in the next three years. So as of this moment we have two.

Ya. The leafs owe us a third but it doesn't need to be this year and with Lou you know the whole "when time is on your side"

Unless the price is right I look to keep Schlemko. Same with Lee. Vermette is just one example 90% of the time when you trade a guy they are gone (people actually thought we would sign Jagr back after trading him...).

It's apparently a shallow draft so I'm not sure if a 2nd alone is enough for Lee IMO considering the season he is having and how cheap his contract is.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ya. The leafs owe us a third but it doesn't need to be this year and with Lou you know the whole "when time is on your side"

It might come next year which would really help if we have to give up our third for Ruutu (gak) cause they also have to give up a third for Babcock in the same timeframe I think. So it could be us next year and the Wings the year after or reversed.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It might come next year which would really help if we have to give up our third for Ruutu (gak) cause they also have to give up a third for Babcock in the same timeframe I think. So it could be us next year and the Wings the year after or reversed.

Forgot they owe the Wings one too.

Also I'm not sure how much I buy these rumors. Just have a hard time seeing Shero have such a low ask.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
At what point does Larrson cross over to a vet? By the end of the season he will have 270+ NHL games plus playoff time.

I think next year is Larrsons turn to graduate from Greene University. I know we all love the Greene Larrson pairing but i think we need to allow him to be the man on his own pairing and give him someone like Merrill, Moore, or whoever.

Then enroll Severson or Merrill in Greene University.

But i wouldnt be against bringing Schlemko back either.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Someone photoshop some glasses and a beige blazer onto Greene.

Professor Greene.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

He's better defensively than Moore and more consistent defensively than Severson and Merrill.

As for his PP time that is completely justified given his production. He's very effective there, the most effective defenseman on the team.

He's at worst our 4th best defenseman. Probably our 3rd best all things considered. Which is a problem, obviously, we need to either add talent or have our existing talent step their games up. It's kind of an indictment on Merrill and Severson that they can't outplay David Schlemko.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I'd rather extend Stemp for 2 years than deal him to a contending team for a 2nd.

For how much? I'd rather be aggressive proactive than protective proactive. No offense to Lee but he's a stopgap. I want to contend next season. Stempniak has exceeded expectations because he's been given prime linemates and prime PP time.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
He's better defensively than Moore and more consistent defensively than Severson and Merrill.

As for his PP time that is completely justified given his production. He's very effective there, the most effective defenseman on the team.

He's at worst our 4th best defenseman. Probably our 3rd best all things considered. Which is a problem, obviously, we need to either add talent or have our existing talent step their games up. It's kind of an indictment on Merrill and Severson that they can't outplay David Schlemko.

For one year and a million or so then I'm fine. Anything more and you're asking for trouble.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
At what point does Larrson cross over to a vet? By the end of the season he will have 270+ NHL games plus playoff time.

I think next year is Larrsons turn to graduate from Greene University. I know we all love the Greene Larrson pairing but i think we need to allow him to be the man on his own pairing and give him someone like Merrill, Moore, or whoever.

Then enroll Severson or Merrill in Greene University.

But i wouldnt be against bringing Schlemko back either.

I was actually thinking about this when I saw a post earlier about our defense group for next season and they lumped Lars in the group of young Dmen. As far as I'm concerned I'd call Lars a vet as soon as next season, if not now. Number of games aside Larsson has been steady for us for most of this season and a good portion of last year as well. He's trusted with some of the hardest minutes on the team and excels. Going forward, even though he is still young, I wouldn't loop him into the discussion of our younger defenseman. He's far more experienced and proven. I think its the consistency that really separates the younger guys from the veterans and Larsson has been very, very consistent all year for us.

So going into next year with regards to those young Dmen we could have Merrill, Severson, and Helgeson/Santini in the lineup. I see no problem having a group like that. And while I like what Schlemko has done for us I don't know if I'd be ready to commit to him on a longer contract. If Shero has a decent offer on the table for him or Schlemko as part of a package deal then he should jump all over it.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I just want to be in a spot where we can draft Nylander, or Dubois and instead of having to get the tier 3 guys like Keller, or Logan Brown

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I just want to be in a spot where we can draft Nylander, or Dubois and instead of having to get the tier 3 guys like Keller, or Logan Brown

Same, dealing now not only acquired assets but it also could help drive up that draft position.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Well hopefully we can win one of the 3 lottery spots. Good lord, adding one of those Finns would be incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad