Speculation: Trade Deadline Countdown [MOD Warning in OP, Page 21]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Whichever of the Kings and Hawks wins the Cup this year wins the trade of Scuderi for Ehrhoff.

Kings win, they will just push Scuderi over the border with drugs in his pockets, problem solved! :sarcasm:

Serious though, I get it from the Hawks perspective but not the Kings.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
The Contending teams came together and decided, if the bottom teams ask too much for taking their cap dumps and retaining salary, they'll just trade with themselves.

moon*

The Contending teams came together and decided, if the bottom teams ask too much for taking their cap dumps and retaining salary, they'll just trade with themselves.

Its nice to see teams actually willing to make moves and improve their teams rather than sit on their hands at the risk of disrupting the mediocre rosters they have put together.

I guess it is easier for Chicago to move pieces around with the core and Cups they already have but at times it seems like GM's would rather keep the 10th place team they have together rather than take a risk and potentially end up in 12th instead.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'd like to add Cowen... after some other team buys him out in the off-season.

Apparently he's had lingering hip problems that haven't fully healed. A hip injury is probably the biggest physical injury issue for a professional hockey player since your hips would be used with every skate stride.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'd like to add Cowen... after some other team buys him out in the off-season.

Apparently he's had lingering hip problems that haven't fully healed. A hip injury is probably the biggest physical injury issue for a professional hockey player since your hips would be used with every skate stride.

He's also missing a brain. You got a fix for that?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Was kind of hoping the Flames would hear something in regards to a ruling for Wideman. It would be monumental to see him play before the 29th if his suspension was reduced.

There were a few teams looking into his services before Widemangate. There would be some real value for a few teams with bad PP's that are poised to be in the playoffs.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
There are two defencemen out West who will command attention, but you might be surprised at who brings back the most at Monday’s Trade Deadline.

Among a group of scouts and executives we spoke with this week, Calgary’s Kris Russell was deemed a more valuable UFA Deadline pickup by most than Vancouver’s Dan Hamhuis. It’s a dangerous exercise: My sources could be the minority, and it only takes one GM to overpay and blow a theory out of the water.

But we spoke with more than five different NHL people, and only one said he would said he would acquire Hamhuis ahead of Russell, given a choice between the two with equal trade compensation. Both are considered to be solid No. 4 defencemen on a good team, and there’s no doubt that Hamhuis has had a more decorated career.

“Most of us don’t like small players,†said one scout, “but (Russell) is the biggest small player you’ll find. Top 4 defenceman, good passer, can handle pressure. Great vision and anticipation and sense. Hard to hit…â€

The age difference — Russell turns 29 in May, Hamhuis turned 34 in December — is a difference maker, as is Hamhuis’ serious face injury. More than one scout thought he was playing a lighter game in the aftermath of that, while wearing full face protection is always considered a hindrance.

One scout thought opposing players were even going a tad easier on Hamhuis due to his jaw injury, due to the respect he commands from players. That will boomerang in the playoffs, he thought, where teams will go out of their way to pound Hamhuis if they feel like he may be protecting an injury.

Russell’s game lends itself to the postseason, was the overriding sentiment.

“You’d think he’d have problems around the front of the net, but he positions himself so he never gets in a high-end strength situation where he has to outmuscle someone,†another scout said. “I love the guy. I wish he was 6-2, 210 lbs. But his heart? It’s that big.â€

One executive echoed what so many say about Russell, who led the NHL in shots blocked last season. “Why’s he blocking so many shots? Doesn’t he ever get the puck out?â€

It will be interesting to see which player garners a greater return. I’ll be watching – if only to see if my sources know what they’re talking about. (Kidding.)

Deadline Dennis?
Don’t rule out a Dennis Wideman deal at the deadline. Especially if the Flames were willing to eat some of his deal.

Wideman still works the power play well, so much so that the Flames have been able to save more of T.J. Brodie’s minutes for even strength this season. If the Flames took back a chunk of his $5.25 cap hit for next season, he could give a team like Toronto or Edmonton a useful power-play defenceman next season, then become a valuable trading piece at next year’s deadline.

It would only work for teams that need players, have cap space, and aren’t afraid to rent a player for one year. We suspect Calgary would be pleased to have as much of Wideman’s salary disappear as possible.

West Coast Bias: Why a Hamhuis trade is no sure thing

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Will laugh when no Flame is traded this trade deadline.

Then I'll be pissed the **** off.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
Chicago at it again, Wise and Fleischmann for 2nd and Danault

Edit: sorry should add this will up the pressure on some to load up, especially LA, Anaheim and Washington. Come on BT, work some magic!

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Well the Capitals aren't gonna be big buyers due to their cap situation. The Kings don't have assets to be buyers. The Ducks haven't been big buyers in previous years, but I hope they go all-in to an arms race.

Doug Armstrong must be sweating it out right now. He wants Hitch to make a deep run and whether it be the first or second round they will face the Hawks.

Nill in Dallas.

Washington might feel the pressure to deal Laich. Look for the Leafs to help there. Maybe Partenteau.

All three of these teams have resources to make this the best arms race ever... Who makes the largest mistake???

I say Armstrong in St. Louis.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's definitely a good thing for us that Chicago has done both of these trades, as opposed to two different teams doing it. Makes those other teams all that much more desperate, without decreasing the number of suitors.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Well the Capitals aren't gonna be big buyers due to their cap situation. The Kings don't have assets to be buyers. The Ducks haven't been big buyers in previous years, but I hope they go all-in to an arms race.

Washington if they unload Laich will have 4M to play with.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah; hawks are all kinds of in for this years playoffs. They were stacked before; but in the past two days they upped their squad significantly.

This is a good sign for Calgary. Teams are going to want to play catch up here, Flames have the goods for a team to get there. And I think with this deal we can put the Hudler for a second Bologna to rest. Neither of the players Montreal traded are worth more than Huds, and they got both a second and a decent prospect.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle

Didn't realize the Caps are in such bad shape with the salary cap, was hoping this would have them jump in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Russell to Dallas makes too much sense as far as I'm concerned. So I predict he'll get traded to Pittsburgh completely out of left field.

moon*

Russell to Dallas makes too much sense as far as I'm concerned. So I predict he'll get traded to Pittsburgh completely out of left field.

I think the Flames keep Russell.

That report (whether you believe it or not) of them being 1.5 million apart terrifies me as it a. seems like they are still negotiating with him and b. are way above the number they should be at for Russell.

I think that for whatever reason (and it certainly has nothing to do with watching him play on the ice the past two years) the management team here wants Russell and will keep him to try and re-sign him unless they get a crazy offer.

I hope I am wrong but if true that really scares me about the management teams assessment of this team. Still early and I am not panicking but something to watch for over the next couple of days.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the Flames keep Russell.

That report (whether you believe it or not) of them being 1.5 million apart terrifies me as it a. seems like they are still negotiating with him and b. are way above the number they should be at for Russell.

I think that for whatever reason (and it certainly has nothing to do with watching him play on the ice the past two years) the management team here wants Russell and will keep him to try and re-sign him unless they get a crazy offer.

I hope I am wrong but if true that really scares me about the management teams assessment of this team. Still early and I am not panicking but something to watch for over the next couple of days.

I think it's possible, but I think it's much less likely given the play of Nak and Tspoon these last couple of games. I think the only way they re-sign Russell at this point is if they can move the salaries of Engelland and/or Wideman before the deadline. Otherwise I think they'll see what we all see in that re-signing Russell as things stands right now ties up too much money on the back end.

moon*

I am not sure what a Wideman decision is going to change.

He is almost certainly not getting the suspension changed (no reason to do so) and even if it was by the time the decision comes it will be already 15 games, so I can't see a team not trading for him because of 5 games, especially since the main issue with trading for Wideman is that you have him for next year on that awful deal.

I am likely just worrying too much but we have so much dead weight on this team that needs to be gone by next season it would be nice to see some of it start leaving sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad