Trade Deadline 23/24

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Great trade season. Now that we see everybody’s moves and upcoming picks, can we start speculating on next year’s buyers?!
East:
Kingston
Brantford
Mississauga
Sudbury
Barrie?

West
Guelph
Flint
London
Erie?
Flint?
Erie doesn’t have assets to spend. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them being buyers next season. Very discouraging.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Erie doesn’t have assets to spend. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them being buyers next season. Very discouraging.
It is too bad that they don’t pick a direction. Great fans and barn but an oddly inactive management team. Your fans deserve a run.

Might be worth it to pick a player who won’t report in the first round. You’d get the compensation first rounder next year but would likely add 3 x 2 and 2 x 3 for the approximately 5th overall pick. Your management team would really need to veer out of their comfort zone.

In the final year of Sova, Torrence and Fimis, I hope they go for it. The West will be a heck of a lot easier next year. If not next year, when?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is too bad that they don’t pick a direction. Great fans and barn but an oddly inactive management team. Your fans deserve a run.

Might be worth it to pick a player who won’t report in the first round. You’d get the compensation first rounder next year but would likely add 3 x 2 and 2 x 3 for the approximately 5th overall pick. Your management team would really need to veer out of their comfort zone.

In the final year of Sova, Torrence and Fimis, I hope they go for it. The West will be a heck of a lot easier next year. If not next year, when?
If not next year, the east should be particularly strong in 2025-26. There are a lot of picks and good ‘06s that reside in the east.

Erie did pick a direction, I think; be a playoff team this season preparing to contend the next.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Sorry I've been busy since noon today........I'm gonna make a killing selling programs all across the OHL!

1704939255227.png

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
If not next year, the east should be particularly strong in 2025-26. There are a lot of picks and good ‘06s that reside in the east.

Erie did pick a direction, I think; be a playoff team this season preparing to contend the next.
But they didn't prepare to contend. They don't have 2nd round picks this year and next or a 3rd round pick this year. Besides their 3 oa's, they have 6 04s. 3 will be back as oa's and a new import will (hopefully)be added as well as their 1st rounder. Oh, and they didn't have a 23 3rd rounder and picked an 06 in the 4th who they cut in training camp. They'll have some nice players, very little depth and few assets to trade. Can you tell I'm not optimistic?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But they didn't prepare to contend. They don't have 2nd round picks this year and next or a 3rd round pick this year. Besides their 3 oa's, they have 6 04s. 3 will be back as oa's and a new import will (hopefully)be added as well as their 1st rounder. Oh, and they didn't have a 23 3rd rounder and picked an 06 in the 4th who they cut in training camp. They'll have some nice players, very little depth and few assets to trade. Can you tell I'm not optimistic?
I would not say Erie is a prohibitive favourite, but I do think they can contend next season. They will have more disposable picks than NB and Kitchener had this season, and I believe as many as the Petes had entering the 2022 draft. Erie did use 3-2nds & 2-3rds in advance to add Fimis.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Tired: This leaves no deals for the deadline on Wednesday

Wired: Saginaw buying this much sets up a great deadline next year with them being forced to recoup some assets by trading Michael Misa and Zayne Parekh

Soo too.

Gibson, Mignosa, Carlisle, Charlie ( if we bring up Noah Tegelaar and let Miller take number one ) and maybe even Barker if he’s he returned, which could be possible especially with the steps back he’s taken due to injury and being returned very early this year. Could be interesting!

Bruce was hired Sept 6 as an advisor - IceDogs Hire Bruce Boudreau As Senior Advisor - Niagara IceDogs

The Crane trade happened Nov 9, well after Bruce was hired - IceDogs Acquire Brody Crane From The Knights - Niagara IceDogs

I don't think Bruce has any control of what happens. He said in an interview that his job is to just be available whenever the owner asks him for advice.

Publicity stunt to take heat off DD

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
I would not say Erie is a prohibitive favourite, but I do think they can contend next season. They will have more disposable picks than NB and Kitchener had this season, and I believe as many as the Petes had entering the 2022 draft. Erie did use 3-2nds & 2-3rds in advance to add Fimis.

Erie is walking a razor thin line IMO...

They need to add some pieces, in particular a goalie and maybe shore up the D, but have nothing to really get the assets without moving good players. I am a bit surprised they were content with this roster and only added another "prospective" net minder.

That being said, they almost need to do the proverbial one step back to take to steps forward but the hyper-focus is on merely making the playoffs at this point. They will be an interesting team to keep an eye on for the off season and into next if their goal is in fact to attempt a run while they have Spence, Terrance, Fimis, Sova, etc.

If for some reason it backfires, well, we know we have assets to offload for picks.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

They need to add some pieces, in particular a goalie and maybe shore up the D, but have nothing to really get the assets without moving good players. I am a bit surprised they were content with this roster and only added another "prospective" net minder.

That being said, they almost need to do the proverbial one step back to take to steps forward but the hyper-focus is on merely making the playoffs at this point. They will be an interesting team to keep an eye on for the off season and into next if their goal is in fact to attempt a run while they have Spence, Terrance, Fimis, Sova, etc.

If for some reason it backfires, well, we know we have assets to offload for picks.

They’d have gotten more for Misiak than Barrie received for Sale. I think that is the point right there.

If they want to compete at the highest level, they will need to move their 1st round pick. IF they aren’t willing to move Misiak when they are in 7th place, they won’t trade their first…

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Sarnia and Windsor are both bad enough that Erie should have dealt 1 or 2 guys. They still are going to make the playoffs. At least they would have given themselves something to work with when Spence and Schaffer are hitting their peak. They aren't contending next year. I feel like they are setting themselves up to be perpetually stuck in the 4-7 range.

Reactions: ZinErie and Mata

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They’d have gotten more for Misiak than Barrie received for Sale. I think that is the point right there.

If they want to compete at the highest level, they will need to move their 1st round pick. IF they aren’t willing to move Misiak when they are in 7th place, they won’t trade their first…
I think they will trade their 1st next season. Butler signed up for 2.5 years of a perfectly clear plan.
I do agree Erie should have traded Misiak.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sarnia and Windsor are both bad enough that Erie should have dealt 1 or 2 guys. They still are going to make the playoffs. At least they would have given themselves something to work with when Spence and Schaffer are hitting their peak. They aren't contending next year. I feel like they are setting themselves up to be perpetually stuck in the 4-7 range.
I think you under estimate the Erie roster. And I think, though uncertain, that Erie is possesses the Sarnia ‘24-2nd which can be moved prior to the draft giving Erie a full compliment of picks 2025-28.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think you under estimate the Erie roster. And I think, though uncertain, that Erie is possesses the Sarnia ‘24-2nd which can be moved prior to the draft giving Erie a full compliment of picks 2025-28.
Getting back to zero isn't enough. You need like 10-12 picks to move on top of players. Erie will have good players but no way to supplement the line up/create real meaningful depth. A few good players with a bunch of ok players is a recipe for 4-7.

Reactions: ZinErie

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
By trading Mintyukov, Saginaw was able to add Donovan. Erie will now not have that luxury. So, if they had a clear plan, it was the wrong plan.
Not necessarily. Too many wrote-off NB, Kitchener, even SSM at this time a year ago.

Getting back to zero isn't enough. You need like 10-12 picks to move on top of players. Erie will have good players but no way to supplement the line up/create real meaningful depth. A few good players with a bunch of ok players is a recipe for 4-7.
I disagree. The Petes among others believe in acquiring players in advance of an all-in year.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not necessarily. Too many wrote-off NB, Kitchener, even SSM at this time a year ago.

I disagree. The Petes among others believe in acquiring players in advance of an all-in year.

Well, with Erie’s draft pick situation, I would definitely like to see them acquire the equivalent to Beck and Donovan next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well, with Erie’s draft pick situation, I would definitely like to see them acquire the equivalent to Beck and Donovan next year.
They won’t, and won’t necessarily need to do so. Neither will Mississauga. But both will have stars.
Erie won’t need to use 6-9 picks on OAs. They may actually recoup picks with OAs.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
They won’t, and won’t necessarily need to do so. Neither will Mississauga. But both will have stars.
1) yes they will have to if they want to win a title. Every contender has to.
2) What is the one difference between how Erie is building their team and how Mississauga is?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Erie won’t need to use 6-9 picks on OAs. They may actually recoup picks with OAs.

Missy will need D-Men. 100% without a doubt. They will have the luxury of maybe filling all three OA spots with D-Men which will tremendously lower the cost. It is very likely that Missy will be able to come out of the deadline next year only having traded draft picks for OA’s. They are in an outstanding position IMO.

Missy made the acquisitions in advance but did it through seller moves instead of pre-buyer moves. Erie paid for Fimis using picks. Missy added Martone via selling a graduating player. I don’t think using the argument that Erie has already made their deadline move a year early has merit because we are a full year ahead of the deadline that counts.

Erie had the opportunity to add thorugh selling but chose not to. They are now at a competitive disadvantage compared to Missy.

Reactions: ZinErie and Mata

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
1) yes they will have to if they want to win a title. Every contender has to.
2) What is the one difference between how Erie is building their team and how Mississauga is?
Miss is building around 2005-2006 while Erie is building around 2004-2005?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Missy will need D-Men. 100% without a doubt. They will have the luxury of maybe filling all three OA spots with D-Men which will tremendously lower the cost. It is very likely that Missy will be able to come out of the deadline next year only having traded draft picks for OA’s. They are in an outstanding position IMO.

Missy made the acquisitions in advance but did it through seller moves instead of pre-buyer moves. Erie paid for Fimis using picks. Missy added Martone via selling a graduating player. I don’t think using the argument that Erie has already made their deadline move a year early has merit because we are a full year ahead of the deadline that counts.

Erie had the opportunity to add thorugh selling but chose not to. They are now at a competitive disadvantage compared to Missy.
Isn’t that year of addition for Erie the same for Miss?
Erie had consecutive lottery picks, they will quite possibly have the best collection of 2004-07 first picks in the league.
I have said Erie can contend next season, though not prohibitive favourites. I will hold until the next season arrives.

Reactions: Mata

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Isn’t that year of addition for Erie the same for Miss?
Erie had consecutive lottery picks, they will quite possibly have the best collection of 2004-07 first picks in the league.
I have said Erie can contend next season, though not prohibitive favourites. I will hold until the next season arrives.

Ah. OK. I missed that part of not being prohibitive favourites. Yes, they will contend but will need to settle on what they go into the year with and maybe add one key player. They will need to live with that. Some fo the other contenders will be able to add as many as four key players with their access to disposable assets which gives them a lot more flexibility should they need it. Erie? Not so much.

Reactions: ZinErie

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Ah. OK. I missed that part of not being prohibitive favourites. Yes, they will contend but will need to settle on what they go into the year with and maybe add one key player. They will need to live with that. Some fo the other contenders will be able to add as many as four key players with their access to disposable assets which gives them a lot more flexibility should they need it. Erie? Not so much.

With London not buying this year, they will be better next assuming no early graduations

Reactions: OMG67

Mata

Mar 4, 2019

I agree in they swung and missed this year at the deadline. They needed to either trade and get picks or trade Misiak for a younger player and maybe some picks in addition.

I don't see Kaleb Smith or Bruce McDonald generating a lot of buzz around the league during the off season as they are complimentary players heading into their OA year.

Unsure of management at this point, in particular Dave Brown. Erie will head into next season after a playoff exit with 2 goalies who are relatively untested and letting Misiak's value basically rot in the desperate bid to make the playoffs.

Trading Misiak this season would have done little to hinder our shot at a 6 - 8 seed and obtaining that teams goal while positioning ourselves a little better next year.

Reactions: OMG67 and ZinErie

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Getting back to zero isn't enough. You need like 10-12 picks to move on top of players.

That’s why it makes ZERO sense for a middle-of-the-road team to deal away picks when their ceiling is winning a round or two max in the playoffs.

Example - - Oshawa pissed away five draft picks and only improved marginally. They should have sold off a couple pieces and added picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad