Proposal: Trade Bouchard...

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Bouchard is an absolute powerhouse offensively. His hockey IQ when the puck is on his stick is top 3 in the league. He has the best shot in the league. Easy. Pinpoint slappers with deadly accuracy.

Its been decades since the Oilers have had a defenseman of this calibre offensively.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Bouchard is an absolute powerhouse offensively. His hockey IQ when the puck is on his stick is top 3 in the league. He has the best shot in the league. Easy. Pinpoint slappers with deadly accuracy.

Its been decades since the Oilers have had a defenseman of this calibre offensively.

He will ask for Nurse-level money for his next contract. I don't think we can afford two $9mil D and extend McDavid and Draisaitl.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He will ask for Nurse-level money for his next contract. I don't think we can afford two $9mil D and extend McDavid and Draisaitl.

I doubt we will have to worry about extending Draisaitl. His ask will be astronomical and I think the Oilers will be forced to trade him in the off season this summer.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've said all along from when Bouchard was drafted that he was the best player in his draft... and that continues to still be the case... so if he's traded away... it better be for a massive haul as this player is not easily replaced.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I doubt we will have to worry about extending Draisaitl. His ask will be astronomical and I think the Oilers will be forced to trade him in the off season this summer.
I see that happening too. A proven goalie and/or Top 4 D should be the return.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I see that happening too. A proven goalie and/or Top 4 D should be the return.

A proven goalie, a good 3/4 D, a top prospect ready for NHL prime time and a 1st round pick should be the return for a 4 time 50 goal scorer I think. Plus somehow weasel our way out of the Campbell deal as part of the process?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I've said all along from when Bouchard was drafted that he was the best player in his draft... and that continues to still be the case... so if he's traded away... it better be for a massive haul as this player is not easily replaced.

Impossible to replace. This is a player on an untouchable level similar to Drai/McDavid at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Say bye bye to McDavid in that case then too. What exactly would he be staying for? The weather here? The stellar management? The only real card the Oilers have to play is that they have another top player here in Draisaitl, you lose that and you’re done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack a doodle doo

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Say bye bye to McDavid in that case then too. What exactly would he be staying for? The weather here? The stellar management? The only real card the Oilers have to play is that they have another top player here in Draisaitl, you lose that and you’re done.
Book it now both guys re sign here to play together. Drai gets the Connor contract 12.5 McDavid takes a discount on what he could make at 13.5-14 per.

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Really hope the next GM can navigate Holland's epic failure with Bouch. Look at how Holland just flushed 3.225M of cap space next year down the toilet with Connor Brown's bonus. That could have been money for Bouch's higher cap hit in 24/25 if we extended him 8 years. So all we needed was some better cap management for this year and we would be golden. Instead, he could put up a couple PPG seasons leading into his next negotiation.

Thanks jackarse Holland

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Really hope the next GM can navigate Holland's epic failure with Bouch. Look at how Holland just flushed 3.225M of cap space next year down the toilet with Connor Brown's bonus. That could have been money for Bouch's higher cap hit in 24/25 if we extended him 8 years. So all we needed was some better cap management for this year and we would be golden. Instead, he could put up a couple PPG seasons leading into his next negotiation.

Thanks jackarse Holland
I know it will never happen but the NHL really needs the option of players to have the ability to renegotiate the contract. This would also apply for terrible contracts that exist on every team to be renegotiated as well. Basically if you’re not earning your contract there is a renegotiation between team and player to meet somewhere in the middle to what is equal to your performance. If you look at any job and even some in other pro sports if you can’t hack it you get demoted or lose the job.

Rant over

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know it will never happen but the NHL really needs the option of players to have the ability to renegotiate the contract. This would also apply for terrible contracts that exist on every team to be renegotiated as well. Basically if you’re not earning your contract there is a renegotiation between team and player to meet somewhere in the middle to what is equal to your performance. If you look at any job and even some in other pro sports if you can’t hack it you get demoted or lose the job.

Rant over
Have 1 buyout that doesn't count towards the cap every 3 years or something of that nature. That way you have 1 get out of jail free card for players that just completely shit the bed like Campbell has.

Reactions: TB12

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
It's nice to see one of our draft picks that wasn't a layup pan out for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Who cares?

You either figure it out and keep him, or you trade him for a boatload. He's going to be worth far more after he puts up point per game numbers for a couple seasons.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Wow, has this thread ever aged badly, and only in about 3-4 weeks.:laugh:

Is it possible to close and DELETE threads?

If so, This the the thread to do it.

Ya, i was shocked to see this thread tbh. This base is known for not overreacting 🫢

Ease up before you pile on boys... it's not like I was suggesting we trade Bouchard NO MATTER WHAT, nor did I imply anywhere that he has limited value.

Did you all not notice that the return coming back was a top-5 goalie of this generation with retention? Saros is 28 and in his prime, one of the best goalies in the world - has been in the conversation for the Vezina (on a mediocre team) for 3 years straight!

I see all the potential you guys do in Bouchard too... and he's certainly living up to it offensively, but how much longer do we have to wait until he's a difference maker at both ends of the ice (without a babysitter)?

... and that's just it. We don't have time... even on this very page people are talking about losing Draisaitl this summer. I'm not in the room, but if that is a real threat, we've gotta throw all the stops at getting a goalie this year.

And honestly... ON ICE for THIS SEASON is it really that much of a stretch to say: Saros + Barrie + AHL reinforcement > Bouchard + Pickard + Holloway (injured) + McLeod?

The OP is a pure hockey trade... there isn't a single other (non-McDrai) player on our roster that can net you Saros. You've gotta give to get.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Bouchard's shot is unreal. Elite accuracy and power on the clapper. Great accuracy on his wrist shot.

#blessed

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Book it now both guys re sign here to play together. Drai gets the Connor contract 12.5 McDavid takes a discount on what he could make at 13.5-14 per.
I think McDavid does a Crosby and extends at the same cap hit as his previous contract.

Sure, Crosby signed a longer contract but his previous one was shorter so they would end up around the same age if Connor signs 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad