Proposal: Trade Bouchard...

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'd be okay with upgrading on Bouchard for a defenceman that better fits the remaining guaranteed McDrai years. Something in the spirit of trading 4+ years of Bouchard for 1.75 years of a more mature RHD with salary retention. Not interested in giving up on him unless it makes the top 3 D better.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Trade Bouchard?
Damned if you do…damned if you don’t!
I’m tempted to think that, while he’s on this bridge contract, we should focus on improving the right-side defence. Reduce his 5v5 time, work on his defensive game ( and skating in the offseason). When Ekholm is fully recovered, and hopefully the RDs are upgraded, we may see a better version of Bouch.
If this doesn’t work out, then we move on and recoup some assets. Return to this question in a year or so.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There were fans on this board posting Bouch stats showing him better than Makar during the playoffs. Yeah let's trade him... real smart. Young D growth is never without bumps.

You willing to pay him 9 million+ when his current bridge deal that only has 1 more year left on it?

18+ million for Nurse and Bouchard ... good luck ever winning anything with that. How much is going to cost to get the players that actually play defense for those two on top of that bill?

What stats showed him as "better than Makar" too ... lol. His second straight year at -4 in the playoffs?

He can put up points yes. So did Barrie.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
You willing to pay him 9 million+ when his current bridge deal that only has 1 more year left on it?

18+ million for Nurse and Bouchard ... good luck ever winning anything with that. How much is going to cost to get the players that actually play defense for those two on top of that bill?

What stats showed him as "better than Makar" too ... lol. His second straight year at -4 in the playoffs?

how is bouchard worth 9+mil with the gaps in his defensive game. offensive only D guys go around barries price tag in the 5mil range? you dont get to say trade him cause he sucks defensively and argue hes getting 9+M those 2 things do not add up

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
how is bouchard worth 9+mil with the gaps in his defensive game. offensive only D guys go around barries price tag in the 5mil range? you dont get to say trade him cause he sucks defensively and argue hes getting 9+M those 2 things do not add up

He's going to ask for 8 minimum if he keeps putting up these offensive totals, no way are you getting him for 5.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The complicating issue here is the pending cost of his offense. We have many examples that suggest that even if his defensive game does not improve he will get paid. If he is a ppg or very close to it over the next two years he is probably looking at $8M+ on his next deal.

This is going to be a tough decision for the team. He may well have enough value to bring back assets that are difference makers. The only other assets the team have right now that this can be said of are Draisaitl and McDavid.

I would definitely not dismiss this out of hand;

Its the impending $8M+ contract that he is almost guaranteed to get no matter how bad his defensive game turns out is causing me to consider it as well. The kicker is he would have real trade value and give us the opportunity to get a real return for him that is better suited to stabilize this shit show of a team.

We absolutely cannot do this again where we anchor ourselves to a d man that isn't capable of playing any sort of reliable consistent defense to a deal that size. Especially if we stack it on top of Nurse's deal. It would basically act to entrench the clown show defensive play of this team forever.

Last edited:

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
- Drafts RHD with offensive upside.
- Has obvious defensive warts but can be improved.
- Team does f*** all to develop him defensively
- Gets exposed at the NHL level defensively.
- Fans run him out of town despite good fancy stats and offence.
- Fans then complain about how we have no offensive defensemen and can't develop RHD.

classic-back-to-the-future.gif
So it's the teams fault that he doesn't actually try? The kid has no GAF and that's not something you can teach, that's on him. All the comparisons to Shultz are funny, because literally no one cares about him anymore.

Reactions: Kerberos

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trading away Bouch would be the dumbest move this team has done since they handling of Nurse.

Depends on the return. Guy plays zero defense, how much is the cost to resign him and then actually also find another D on top of him who can play the D he should be playing.

Defensively he is a bottom pairing D-Man.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Trading away Bouch would be the dumbest move this team has done since they handling of Nurse.

Even dumber would be to sign him to a massive deal like Nurse got and creating Nurse 2.0. Guy that can look good doing some things, but completely unreliable and not capable of playing the all around game required of a massive deal.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Depends on the return. Guy plays zero defense, how much is the cost to resign him and then actually also find another D on top of him who can play the D he should be playing.

Defensively he is a bottom pairing D-Man.

Agreed - I am no fan of defensively. But if he even gets close to average D he is elite. I would bet on him becoming atleast passable defensively in the next few years. Unless you are getting back a true top pairing dman in his prime, I see no upside in trading him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Agreed - I am no fan of defensively. But if he even gets close to average D he is elite. I would bet on him becoming atleast passable defensively in the next few years. Unless you are getting back a true top pairing dman in his prime, I see no upside in trading him.

If you can land like a Carter Hart for Evan Bouchard ... I would do it. Hart wins you more hockey games by stopping a puck than Bouchard does racking up PP points IMO.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Its the impending $8M+ contract that he is almost guaranteed to get no matter how bad his defensive game turns out is causing me to consider it as well. The kicker is he would have real trade value and give us the opportunity to get a real return for him that is better suited to stabilize this shit show of a team.

We absolutely cannot do this again where we anchor ourselves to a d man that isn't capable of playing any sort of reliable consistent defense to a deal that size. Especially if we stack it on top of Nurse's deal. It would basically act to entrench the clown show defensive play of this team forever.

This is exactly my point. Young offensive defensemen i) get paid whether they help you win or not, and ii) have value because they are normally hard to come by...

The reality here is that when Bouchard grows up and potentially grows out of his one-dimensional mindset, McDrai will be gone. The acquiring team can end up happy then... and we can end up happy now. It's a pure hockey trade based on our immediate needs.

Reactions: guymez and K1984

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

No way Bouch gets close to 9 million.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I would still do that trade right now because a real big ticket goalie would change this team's fortunes dramatically so.

Bouchard is going to want way too much money on his next extension because he's going to rack up a ton of points.

The people thinking he will take significantly less than Nurse while outscoring him by a factor of like 2x-3x on a cap that is higher are smoking something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad