Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1

How will the first round of the playoffs go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Is not so much Boston being superior as it Toronto having to pay more because there is more hassle.

The Bruins have always been hard on player salary, and I really respect them for it.

They always draft well, develop well, never overpay (or rarely) and won't hesitate to ship players out and make moves to better the future.

One of the best organizations out there. I hate seeing players always get their damn way.

Can you imagine Willy pulling his shit in Boston? He would be gone in a second, and driven to the airport by Chara.

They do things the way it should be done in this league. I don't buy into the players "gave" up too much for years BS, more control is what I say, earn your money with more service time. Christ it's not like you are living in poverty before you sign the big UFA contract.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
People who didn't watch the series last year but have anti-Leaf bias will bring up the fact that the Leafs lost the series but what they don't realize is that it took Boston all the bounces, all the calls (including a goal that was offside), a bogus suspension and even after all that it took Jake Gardiner to have the worst game of his life on game 7 to finish -5.

They way Matthews has been playing this last stretch seems to indicate that he'll be a different player this series too... Then you have JT and Marner really clicking on the 2nd line.

Not saying we are a lock to win the series but I don't see why this would be a cakewalk for Boston.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Is anyone else happy that the Leafs are playing Boston? First off, it is guaranteed fantastic and intense hockey to watch. Second, we are trying to win a Cup here and you have to beat the best to be the best. In a perfect world the Leafs win by beating serious contenders like Boston and Tampa, not by lucking into easy matchups. And most importantly ( speaking rhetoricly), how pucking good would it feel to beat Boston?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We need the Leafs team to show up that has 2 franchise Cs, another C who is a 2nd line C playing on the 3rd line. Plus a Norris caliber D man, a Vezina caliber goalie, and plethora of offensively talented wingers.

Reactions: Cobra777

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
well, he's boston's #1 dman at 21, so given that everyone says they have a great dcorps, you'd figure he'd be worth a whole lot.

In my mind, he’s one of the best young stars in the game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Truth About the Bruins

STAT: 2017/18 ----> 2018/19

PTS%: #4 ------> #3
ROW: #3 -------> #4
GDiff: #3 -------> #3

GF/gm: #6 -----> #11 - worse
GA/gm: #4 -----> #3

CF%: #2 --------> #6 - worse
SCF%: #1 -------> #10 - worse

PP%: #4 ---------> #3
PK%: #3 ---------> #10 - worse

SV%: #9 ---------> #4 - better

so their offense has been worse, their possession worse, and their PK worse.

the only thing that has improved significantly is...their goaltending.

Rask: 54gms, .917 ---- 43gms, .915
Khudo: 31gms, .913 -- 37gms, .924

so really, they've been significantly worse this year than last year.....aside from their backup goalie.

but only 1 goalie plays per playoff game. not two.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The Truth About the Bruins

STAT: 2017/18 ----> 2018/19

PTS%: #4 ------> #3
ROW: #3 -------> #4
GDiff: #3 -------> #3

GF/gm: #6 -----> #11 - worse
GA/gm: #4 -----> #3

CF%: #2 --------> #6 - worse
SCF%: #1 -------> #10 - worse

PP%: #4 ---------> #3
PK%: #3 ---------> #10 - worse

SV%: #9 ---------> #4 - better

so their offense has been worse, their possession worse, and their PK worse.

the only thing that has improved significantly is...their goaltending.

Rask: 54gms, .917 ---- 43gms, .915
Khudo: 31gms, .913 -- 37gms, .924

so really, they've been significantly worse this year than last year.....aside from their backup goalie.

but only 1 goalie plays per playoff game. not two.
Boston also seems to be getting worse in terms of quality chances as the year goes on, while the Leafs are improving. Dead last in high danger% at 5v5 for March for instance, while the Leafs are at number 8

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Last night, Tampa had 33 hits against Boston and few were on Chara, including Kucherov’s lone check. They weren’t trying to kill Boston with hits, they were simply taking away their space by finishing their checks.

“It’s so simple, I’m surprised I hadn’t done thought of it before yet”
tampa was all over them but boston played nearly entire game with 5 d and now have 4 top 6 d hurt . Maybe thats a way to beat them they have been one of the most injured teams all year and pasta doesnt look good right now his shot is not there

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
haha you found that funny eh. I guess shocking is the wrong word. But for a site that is meant to discuss hockey, I don't know how anyone can look at this Leafs team who is 5 points behind Boston and proclaim they don't have a chance, its petty

I agree. Feels like half of the Leafs board has been doing the same thing lately. The word sweep being thrown around here in so many threads is mind boggling. Boston is a really good team but so are the leafs.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
People who didn't watch the series last year but have anti-Leaf bias will bring up the fact that the Leafs lost the series but what they don't realize is that it took Boston all the bounces, all the calls (including a goal that was offside), a bogus suspension and even after all that it took Jake Gardiner to have the worst game of his life on game 7 to finish -5.

They way Matthews has been playing this last stretch seems to indicate that he'll be a different player this series too... Then you have JT and Marner really clicking on the 2nd line.

Not saying we are a lock to win the series but I don't see why this would be a cakewalk for Boston.

Those are true statements but it’s also true that you make your own breaks. The Bruins completely dominated the third period of game 7. It wasn’t close and the leafs D and goaltending just collapsed. The only significant change in the season was the addition of Muzzin which is a good add but without Dermott and Gardiner it may not mean much on a still thin defense.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
throw the advanced metrics out the window once the playoffs start

we either want it more than them or not

and if that means winning game 7 on the road to exorcise the demons, so be it

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
We maintain puck possession and shut down that one line team and we can beat them. Can't let Bergeron, Marchand and pasta get hot. Under no circumstance. Have to wear down Chara by throwing the body at him. Watched Colton Orr absolutely bully him during the first matchup, no reason why Moore, Gauthier and others can't do the same.

Rask is awful. Absolutely horrendous. Andersen just needs to outplay him. Need him well rested and a healthy defense.

We added JT who is a warrior in the playoffs, along with Muzzin who comes to life in the post season.

But it comes down to our big guns. Matthews, Marner, Nylander. Those are the guys we aren't sure about.

Marner: needs to stay dangerous.

Nylander: needs to stay consistent and lethal on the PP

Matthews: God I hope they get him mad. I really really hope they enrage this man. Guy is like Bautista when he gets angry.

Reactions: Jeypic

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It's incredible that a player like Chara only took 2 minors in 12 playoff games last year.
1 minor in 6 games the year before.
The refs must be intimidated by him as well, he gets away with so much shit. I remember a few years ago he punched Crosby is his surgically repaired jaw: no penalty, no suspension.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm a Habs fan but Tavares is my favourite player in the league, so I've been watching a lot of Leafs games this season. I also have a much larger hatred for the Bruins than the Leafs.

I would assume that Boston matches up their top line with the Tavares line. As great as Tavares and Marner are, that Bruins line is one of the best defensively and offensively in the NHL. Matthews and Nylander have created chances but haven't been scoring enough to make really create a matchup nightmare for the opposing team.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Moore - Tavares - Nylander

Hyman would retrieve the puck for the best goalscorer and playmaker on the team. Tavares does a lot of the dirty work himself but Moore can do some of that as well while being a bit more talented offensively than Hyman IMO. Nylander also gives Tavares a good playmaker but also a better scorer than Marner so he can be fully utilized. Nylander and Tavares have shown glimpses together and this would create a nightmare for the Bruins when deciding who to put their 1st line up against.

Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Marleau - Gauthier - Brown / Ennis - Marleau - Brown

That 3rd line has a lot of speed, grit and can definitely score. The 4th line is just a safe line that can hopefully pinch in offensively. Switch Ennis or Gauthier based on what is more needed on a game to game basis.

Just my 2 cents, I could be completely off base here.

Reactions: willmma

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
throw the advanced metrics out the window once the playoffs start

the advanced metrics told the tale last playoffs, though.

they even told us our 3-1 regular season record against them was a mirage.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm a Habs fan but Tavares is my favourite player in the league, so I've been watching a lot of Leafs games this season. I also have a much larger hatred for the Bruins than the Leafs.

I would assume that Boston matches up their top line with the Tavares line. As great as Tavares and Marner are, that Bruins line is one of the best defensively and offensively in the NHL. Matthews and Nylander have created chances but haven't been scoring enough to make really create a matchup nightmare for the opposing team.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Moore - Tavares - Nylander

Hyman would retrieve the puck for the best goalscorer and playmaker on the team. Tavares does a lot of the dirty work himself but Moore can do some of that as well while being a bit more talented offensively than Hyman IMO. Nylander also gives Tavares a good playmaker but also a better scorer than Marner so he can be fully utilized. Nylander and Tavares have shown glimpses together and this would create a nightmare for the Bruins when deciding who to put their 1st line up against.

Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Marleau - Gauthier - Brown / Ennis - Marleau - Brown

That 3rd line has a lot of speed, grit and can definitely score. The 4th line is just a safe line that can hopefully pinch in offensively. Switch Ennis or Gauthier based on what is more needed on a game to game basis.

Just my 2 cents, I could be completely off base here.

not that your ideas are bad, but babs lines are pretty much set in stone at this point. it was a miracle we were able to get Marleau down to the 3rd line and Brown to the 4th. so we're just hoping that sticks, let alone a gift like Moore getting promoted to the 3rd ahead of Marleau.

tbh, we're all secretly worried that at the first signs of trouble, Marleau and Brown will replace Johnsson and Nylander on the Matthews line.

Reactions: Sinkkunaattori

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
not that your ideas are bad, but babs lines are pretty much set in stone at this point. it was a miracle we were able to get Marleau down to the 3rd line and Brown to the 4th. so we're just hoping that sticks, let alone a gift like Moore getting promoted to the 3rd ahead of Marleau.

tbh, we're all secretly worried that at the first signs of trouble, Marleau and Brown will replace Johnsson and Nylander on the Matthews line.
The bolded would be solved by giving Matthews better line mates in Hyman and Marner. Tavares has proven he can work with worse line mates on the Island. I'm sure Moore and Nylander or even Johnsson and Nylander would still allow him to produce.

But yeah Babcock seems pretty set on the way he likes his lines.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Is anyone else happy that the Leafs are playing Boston? First off, it is guaranteed fantastic and intense hockey to watch. Second, we are trying to win a Cup here and you have to beat the best to be the best. In a perfect world the Leafs win by beating serious contenders like Boston and Tampa, not by lucking into easy matchups. And most importantly ( speaking rhetoricly), how pucking good would it feel to beat Boston?
I agree that you have to play strong teams to win the cup, but it shouldn't have to be in the first round especially when you finished 5th in the NHL.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
well, he's boston's #1 dman at 21, so given that everyone says they have a great dcorps, you'd figure he'd be worth a whole lot.

I remember reading somewhere that he was looking for about 8 mill on a long term deal, but i think that was closer to when the season started, no idea if the number has gone up or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad