Series Talk: Toronto vs Boston - Round #1

How will the first round of the playoffs go?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Is Boston a heavier favourite this year or were they a heavier favourite last year, vs Toronto?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I find the main boards more impartial about the leafs than the leafs board is. It's not leaf hate for the sake of leaf hate any more than the leaf board is leaf love for the sake of leaf love.

The vast majority of the main boards thinks Tavares signing was huge for the leafs (other than Isle fans) and most thought the Muzzin trade was a good move for the leafs.

The things they're almost entirely critical of are things the leaf boards are pretty split on anyways, such as the dramatic overpayments of Nylander and Matthews.

The majority of those posters don't care about the leafs in the slightest, and they're just giving impartial opinions. But then when 100% of impartial opinions consider the Matthews and Nylander contracts OUTRAGEOUS overpayments, it's easier for fans here to write it off as "leaf hate" than to accept reality.

Of course you do. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: bax and Loosie

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Is Boston a heavier favourite this year or were they a heavier favourite last year, vs Toronto?
They were a heavier favourite last year. There's a bit of recency bias in that the leafs have been slumping for a few weeks, while Boston was playing well.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One of those Tampa PP was in the final 3 minutes of a tie game. Inane the call Tampa got with 3 minutes left to give them a chance to win the game. Cherry on the top, after taking the lead TBL got another PP to close the game out because why not.

Boston not used to the other team being the favorites! lol

Or....maybe they were penalties?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Last years series with Boston

Boston PP: 7/21 Most of the damage done in the first two games (5/10). The Leafs cleaned up their PK but it was too late.
Leafs PP: 4/15

The splits were insane though.

In Boston, the Bruins had 16 PPs to Leafs 10, this include game 5 where after the Leafs went up 4-1 late in the 2nd the Leafs were called for 4 STRAIGHT penalties.
In Toronto the Leafs had 5 to Bruins 3.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Tavares vs Bergeron
Marner vs Pastrnak
Matthews vs Marchand
Nylander vs Johansson
Kadri vs Krejci
Kapanen vs DeBrusk

The Leaf forwards better bring it because I doubt the defensive system we lack will stop the Bruins.

Based on last night, Leafs will probably not be able to score 7 on Boston, but the Bruins can definitely score 5 on us.
Those forwards match up pretty well with ours.
Total leaf cap hits next season of those forwards. 47 million (generously counting Marner at 10 and Kapanen at 3).

Bostons total cap hit of those forwards next season. 32 million
15 million different on similar stats and ability.
I just don't understand why so many fans her are in denial about these overpayments.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Does anyone here still think we have a shot at home ice? With how well we’re playing lately, we’re only 5 points behind, it would just take a couple wins and couple Bruins losses to be just 1 point behind.

Still 12 points up for grab here

In all likelihood the Leafs will add 7 more points, meaning Boston only needs 3 points.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Total leaf cap hits next season of those forwards. 47 million (generously counting Marner at 10 and Kapanen at 3).

I just don't understand why so many fans her are in denial about these overpayments.

It’s really quite simple. If you were a superstar would you rather play in Boston or Toronto? Toronto has to pay a premium to overcome the difference.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
that's because you and they have both been exactly as wrong about this leafs team since they rebooted.
Which leaf team? You mean the one that hasn't even won a playoff series yet?
I wanted the rebuild to last one more season two years ago, but I haven't been wrong about anything.

I might be wrong this year, and I hope I am, but I think Boston will win the series, probably in 5. Maybe in 6. I think the leafs are mentally fragile. Again, something I HOPE I'm wrong about.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's still an outside shot. Tampa winning last night sure helps. We both have one more game against Tampa.

If we beat PHI tomorrow and BOS somehow loses to NYR then I will believe there is a chance.

Assuming BOS beats NYR, I don’t think it'll happen.

Frankly, I’m fine starting on the road. All we need to do is win 1 of the first 2 and we head home with a chance to take control.

Bring the wingers down lower in our zone to help with the zone exits, and we’ll be fine. Boston gets you when they get you crammed in the defensive zone. Just don’t let them do that, use our speed, and we’ll be fine.

Reactions: Loosie

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
It’s really quite simple. If you were a superstar would you rather play in Boston or Toronto? Toronto has to pay a premium to overcome the difference.
Then the leafs will never be able to win. Boston can spend that extra 15 mil on defence. The hurtle is too great. So why do any of us even bother if we all agree the leafs have no possible chance to win against such ridiculous odds?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Depends on Matthews just as much. Are we going to have the Matthews of the past 2 weeks? Or the coast around not caring about anything Matthews of the two months prior, and from the playoffs last year.

I always remember when Sportsnet or TSN did an interview with his dad, and his dad said "AM hates to lose" and when I have watched him the last few months, it looks like he doesn't give a single f*** about winning.

Hopefully it was injuries that slowed him down, or maybe him and Babs will get along better, but we need him to dominate.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Then the leafs will never be able to win. Boston can spend that extra 15 mil on defence. The hurtle is too great. So why do any of us even bother if we all agree the leafs have no possible chance to win against such ridiculous odds?

Probably

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

TOR

Matthews (22): 11.6
Tavares (29): 11.0
Nylander (23): 7.0
Kadri (29): 4.5
Rielly (25): 5.0
Muzzin (30): 4.0
Andersen (29): 5.0
Marner (22): RFA
Kapanen (23): RFA
Johnsson (25): RFA

Total 48.1 + Marner/Kappy/Johnsson (+ Marleau 6.3x1yrs)

BOS

Krejci (33): 7.3
Bergeron (34): 6.9
Pastrnak (23): 6.7
Marchand (31): 6.1
Chara (43): 6.8
Krug (28): 5.3
Rask (33): 7.0
McAvoy (22): RFA
Heinen (23): RFA
Carlo (23): RFA

Total 46.1 + McAvoy/Heinen/Carlo (+Backes 6.0x2yrs)

boston's a bit cheaper, much older.

Reactions: Vaive50

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I always remember when Sportsnet or TSN did an interview with his dad, and his dad said "AM hates to lose" and when I have watched him the last few months, it looks like he doesn't give a single **** about winning.

Hopefully it was injuries that slowed him down, or maybe him and Babs will get along better, but we need him to dominate.
He's been playing like possessed for a while now.

Reactions: DanM

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
TOR

Matthews (22): 11.6
Tavares (29): 11.0
Nylander (23): 7.0
Kadri (29): 4.5
Rielly (25): 5.0
Muzzin (30): 4.0
Andersen (29): 5.0
Marner (22): RFA
Kapanen (23): RFA
Johnsson (25): RFA

Total 48.1 + Marner/Kappy/Johnsson (+ Marleau 6.3x1yrs)

BOS

Krejci (33): 7.3
Bergeron (34): 6.9
Pastrnak (23): 6.7
Marchand (31): 6.1
Chara (43): 6.8
Krug (28): 5.3
Rask (33): 7.0
McAvoy (22): RFA
Heinen (23): RFA
Carlo (23): RFA

Total 46.1 + McAvoy/Heinen/Carlo (+Backes 6.0x2yrs)

boston's a bit cheaper, much older.

I wonder how much more Marner will make than McAvoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad