Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ New Jersey

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Anyone else find Bunting's demotion to the 4th line off putting? What happened to the chemistry he had with Matthews? I hope he can play his way out of Keefe's dog house.
Buntings game fell off when he started the crazy screaming at the refs……….maybe he got other issues going on that we don’t know about?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
If ROR and JT are out, she’s gonna be a tough one tonight

Add in the fact its the first game in NJ since the "infamous" 3 called off goals game and it's gonna be a fun start. Feels like the Devils are really worked up still over that.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I have felt that Keefe isn't the right coach for us since we lost the Play Ins against Columbus.

My opinion hasn't changed and he's done nothing to show that he's even evolved as a coach.

He needs to go, and his handling of Liljegren and utilization of our defence are just beyond comprehension. He has not earned any benefit of the doubt on his decisions, because each year when it matters the most in the playoffs, he continues to make the wrong decisions.

Liljegren should not be in this position. His return to our Defence is when our D actually started to pull it together. I think he's proven himself and Keefe continues to treat him like a Rookie. We now have another terrific RHD prospect to develop in Timmins and top prospect Knies coming on board soon too.

I have no doubt that Keefe isn't the man to develop our young players and he needs to go, regardless of what our Team does in the Playoffs. I have absolutely lost what little faith I had in him, and I do think he will be front and center to blame for when we are eliminated from the playoffs this year.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Weird to take pleasure in this?
Hardly pleasure, more pain.
Every time you get a glimpse of the Cup, add ROR, Schenn, Gus, Acceir, Laffer, plus....a huge pothole swallows up your joy, AM plays terrible, Reilly looks like a 3rd pair dman, MMurray reminds you of his Ottawa days and WN begins his figure skating your and the injury bug smacks you.
Just being realistic after 55 years.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Imagine running Sandin and Liljegren, two of your franchise's precious few draft successes to be specific, out of town so you can play guys like Boosh and Schenn.

these guys better win now, and by win I'm not talking about just a round.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Some pretty alarming quotes from Keefe…

I hope it was just poor choice of wording than him actually believing Lily needs to prove himself.

I mean if you want to give Lily a breather after falling into the boards in Edmonton, sure. Especially to give some new guys a chance in the line up. I can get behind it.

But don’t imply Liljegren has to do more, especially with Holl’s play.
Kerfoot zero goals in 19 games goes to first line...Lilly to the stands, holy F

myleafs

May 25, 2021
This is one of those games where it wouldn't surprise me if we get blown out or if we have one of our best efforts of the season.
lol covering all the bases. We will win or we will lose is my prediction. Sorry, just bein a brat.

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Keefe is a coward. Whenever the core plays like shit he takes it out on a few noncore players. First it was Engvall & Sandin. Now its Lily & Bunting.
Maybe I'm just really f***ing pissed off at his comments right now, but you may be right.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

I hope it was just poor choice of wording than him actually believing Lily needs to prove himself.

I mean if you want to give Lily a breather after falling into the boards in Edmonton, sure. Especially to give some new guys a chance in the line up. I can get behind it.

Shocking. He is usually so good with words. Especially after a playoff series loss.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I feel a total annihilation coming tonight.

Its either that or we play the best game of the season. Nothing in between.
Honestly, all the cards are stacked against us.

New Jersey is a young, fast and dangerous team that has just added Timo Meier. Leafs are missing two of their 5 best forwards in JT and ROR, Matthews looks like he's also playing hurt and Bunting is in a serious slump, and also it's another road game where the Leafs can't control the matchups and are generally mediocre on the road this season, especially Samsonov who has a losing road record.

And in classic fashion, somehow the Leafs will win this game lol.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Anyone else find Bunting's demotion to the 4th line off putting? What happened to the chemistry he had with Matthews? I hope he can play his way out of Keefe's dog house.
To be fair, he usually is going when Matthews is going. He’s kind of a passenger to Matthews, so with Matthews playing poor, bunting has been terrible.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Everyone blaming Keefe for benching Liljegren like his GM didn't give him 3 new defensemen to play. If Dubas is confident in Liljegren you don't add like that, period. This was the only way it was going to play out if you give a coach a bunch of veteran options.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Will this be the game Matthew’s turns it on? Lol doubtful but one can hope

Matthews hasn't been Matthews this whole season. It would be nice to see him light it up and hit 40 goals before the playoffs.

Every single game he had last year would be better than his best game this year. He was flying out there and every shift felt like he could score.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Lilly's quotes yesterday told the same story that Keefe has said. Liljegren is now the 7th defenceman on this team despite him playing at a top 4 level all season.
I like how this raise your level only applies to Liljegren. Big picture: you know why this franchise is terrible at developing d man? Well here's a classic example.

Yeah, that’s an odd take… but as always, Lili is the consummate pro.
He is but how much more can a guy stay patient? 2 playoffs in a row you get scratched with the 2nd one making no sense at all. I wouldn't blame him if he asks to be gone in the summer.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Lilly's quotes yesterday told the same story that Keefe has said. Liljegren is now the 7th defenceman on this team despite him playing at a top 4 level all season.
I like how this raise your level only applies to Liljegren. Big picture: you know why this franchise is terrible at developing d man? Well here's a classic example.

He is but how much more can a guy stay patient? 2 playoffs in a row you get scratched with the 2nd one making no sense at all. I wouldn't blame him if he asks to be gone in the summer.

Well that’s a pissoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad