Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ New Jersey

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Lets see if uh, Ryan O'Reilly can play. Errrbody waiting on tavares to get that second line C back he deserves. He that tough monkey. A real buffoon for this game. Maybe a hatrick for him, who knows. We are going to score goals and allow goals. Lets see who wins this ice hockey game. This is our time to shine! Our 2023!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Murder in New Jersey. The dead carcass of our Leafs will be laid to rest beside Jimmy Hoffa!!! Book it!

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When you bring in a half dozen new guys for the last month of a season, players realize it’s just a biz and the sense of team is lost. However they are pros time to suck it up and carry on.

Reactions: Ciao

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
When you bring in a half dozen new guys for the last month of a season, players realize it’s just a biz and the sense of team is lost. However they are pros time to suck it up and carry on.

What “sense of team” tho? When both Matthews and MArner took the biggest deals they could? When Willy held out till the last possible moment just to cash as much as he could and f*** the team?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This will be an interesting one.

Both teams coming back from the west coast. Leafs got in Newark Sunday evening, Devils very early Monday morning. Leafs practicing today, assume Devils have the day off.

I do not want to see the 11-7 anymore. Make a decision on our 6 D, and ffs get Liljegren back in the lineup. Also, any decision where Holl remains in the lineup is wrong.

Short term, we are covered with ROR out, Acciari and Kampf can service as 3C and 4C. Wingers need to be sorted out.

If Bunting is going to be this ineffective, I hope we move on from him in the off-season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This is a tough game. New Jersey is young fast and skilled, and they play at a relentless pace. Their one weakness is goaltending, but aside from that they're a very well rounded team.

Leafs seem to be lacking cohesion right now and are dealing with some injuries so NJ could really bring it to them if they're as unorganized and lackadaisical as they were against Edmonton or the second half of Canucks game.

The team has a pretty hard March in general, aside from Nashville all games are against playoff teams or teams who are desperately fighting for a spot right on the bubble. Then again the Leafs play up to their opponents so let's see

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If Bunting is going to be this ineffective, I hope we move on from him in the off-season.

This is quietly the biggest non-injury concern with the team. His game has completely fallen off a cliff lately. I am now getting very nervous about the idea of extending him. And considering he was awful last postseason (I know, he was hurt), I don't have a lot of confidence in his play for this years playoffs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This is quietly the biggest non-injury concern with the team. His game has completely fallen off a cliff lately. I am now getting very nervous about the idea of extending him. And considering he was awful last postseason (I know, he was hurt), I don't have a lot of confidence in his play for this years playoffs.
It's sad that I'm putting this much hope into an NCAA kid but Knies can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: wingman75

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
It's sad that I'm putting this much hope into an NCAA kid but Knies can't get here soon enough.
Thing is even with knies, how much can we expect?

I don’t see him being a top 6 winger this post season, maybe next season but he seems better fit adjusting in the 3rd line. We desperately need LW’s. Bunting should be 2nd or 3rd line with his play rn but that leaves jarnkrok (another 3rd liner) and kerfoot (yuck) as our top 6 wingers.

So even with my tame expectations I agree, knies can’t get here soon enough. At the very least so we can evaluate his nhl game and see where it’s at

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
This will be an interesting one.

Both teams coming back from the west coast. Leafs got in Newark Sunday evening, Devils very early Monday morning. Leafs practicing today, assume Devils have the day off.

I do not want to see the 11-7 anymore. Make a decision on our 6 D, and ffs get Liljegren back in the lineup. Also, any decision where Holl remains in the lineup is wrong.

Short term, we are covered with ROR out, Acciari and Kampf can service as 3C and 4C. Wingers need to be sorted out.

Completely agreed. This is a team learning to play with 6 new players. Why is Keefe going 11/7 and jumbling the lines/pairings so much? It makes it way harder to develop chemistry with all these new guys. He should pick the roster he envisions playing in game 1 against Tampa and give it a try for 3-4 games.

Obviously with ROR being hurt that complicates things, and with the way Dubas constructed the post-deadline roster, I don't even think they can call up a 12th forward until ROR is put on the IR.

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Wow lots of doom and gloom today. With all these “problems” the leafs have had this year they are still 2nd in the Atlantic and have plenty of time to get health and work out the kinks. The fact is the back end/ bottom six has gotten bigger and more aggressive which they needed so let’s wait and see how it comes together after some proper practices

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Completely agreed. This is a team learning to play with 6 new players. Why is Keefe going 11/7 and jumbling the lines/pairings so much? It makes it way harder to develop chemistry with all these new guys. He should pick the roster he envisions playing in game 1 against Tampa and give it a try for 3-4 games.

Obviously with ROR being hurt that complicates things, and with the way Dubas constructed the post-deadline roster, I don't even think they can call up a 12th forward until ROR is put on the IR.
I don't mind a little bit of experimentation, but I'd rather see that done in the form of what we are going to run in the playoffs, which will most certainly be 12-6. Rotate guys in on a game by game basis if you want. Also, 11-7 for a couple games is not going to harm anyone... but I think it's played out.

Assume Woll goes down, not sure how much space that clears.

Remember roster spot limit is gone, it's all cap restricted now.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I don't understand what has changed for him. I find almost every shift he is running around with no purpose, flailing his stick ant pucks and generally having no effect on the shift. It is odd.

I know most hate Kerfoot here, but honestly, he has been better than Bunting... if only he could score a goal or two. But in so far as being effecting shift to shift, no doubt he Kerfoot > Bunting.

Do not disagree with you, it is concerning, because it is another "top 6" slotted player who is ineffective.

It is and it isn't, right?

The good, we have an NCAA prospect that might be able to slide into the lineup and be effective...

The bad, we might need an NCAA prospect to slide into our lineup and be effective...

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
This is a tough game. New Jersey is young fast and skilled, and they play at a relentless pace. Their one weakness is goaltending, but aside from that they're a very well rounded team.

Leafs seem to be lacking cohesion right now and are dealing with some injuries so NJ could really bring it to them if they're as unorganized and lackadaisical as they were against Edmonton or the second half of Canucks game.

The team has a pretty hard March in general, aside from Nashville all games are against playoff teams or teams who are desperately fighting for a spot right on the bubble. Then again the Leafs play up to their opponents so let's see
Agree, Devils pose a great challenge due to their attack speed. Will be interesting to see how our D handle that.

I call BS on the cohesion part. They played two legit playoff periods, 3rd vs CGY and 1st vs VAN. They were near perfectly executed periods. When Matthews spoke post game Sat, the PP failed, and that has established guys on it, so whatever cohesion they need is not on the PP. That was a brain dead misplay by those players based on the situation of the game.

Also, on the cohesion part, no player is playing outside their normal position... so yea, it will take some time to gel fully, so keep it simple. Pucks deep, forecheck, backcheck, get off. The rest will just evolve over the final 20 games. When they try to execute outside their natural state is when they get into trouble I find.

The only thing this team is missing is the ability to be mentally tough imo and follow through on a game plan.

They for sure do play to their opponents level, which should give us a good game!

Reactions: Eric bungay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Holmberg and Steeves recalled. Steeves was really good last time around so I think they wanna see a little more from him. Surprised it wasn't McMann though.

Woll sent down.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Steeves was really good last time around
He was? Genuinely asking as I didn't get to see much of him when he was up - was under the assumption that he didn't really play much or stand out much as I didn't see many comments on him.

Happy Holmberg is up though, and I agree I'm also surprised McMann isn't getting another look with how he's tearing it up.

Reactions: Eric bungay

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was? Genuinely asking as I didn't get to see much of him when he was up - was under the assumption that he didn't really play much or stand out much as I didn't see many comments on him.

Happy Holmberg is up though, and I agree I'm also surprised McMann isn't getting another look with how he's tearing it up.

He played pretty well to me. He hit the post a couple times and had some good chances. His minutes were limited though for sure.

Reactions: 1specter

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Isn't McMann hurt?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad