Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
:nashville

William Nylander

:leafs

Yaroslav Askarov
Colton Sissons

Toronto had interest in Askaraov at the draft and attempted to move up but couldn't. With the emergence of Saros, Nashville may be willing to listen on their top prospect.

This moves takes away from Toronto's offense where it sucks to lose Nylander but Toronto needs to net their goaltending situation up for the competitive window and Askarov does it.

Thoughts?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If the Preds are to trade one of their best assets, it's going to be for a center imo, even though Nylander would be a great player to get.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

William Nylander

Yaroslav Askarov
Colton Sissons

Toronto had interest in Askaraov at the draft and attempted to move up but couldn't. With the emergence of Saros, Nashville may be willing to listen on their top prospect.

This moves takes away from Toronto's offense where it sucks to lose Nylander but Toronto needs to net their goaltending situation up for the competitive window and Askarov does it.

Thoughts?
Would depend on how highly Nashville views their goalie but it’s an offer they’d have to consider. Nylander is a .75ppg player and potential 25-37 goal guy. On a long term deal that’s fair value. Easy top six forward for Nashville

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

William Nylander

Yaroslav Askarov
Colton Sissons

Thoughts?
Not interested

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not at all interested from a Leafs perspective. If Nylander goes, it's to mix up the team now, not get a guy who might help us in 3-4 years.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Good offer, but long term Nashville would rather have Askarov.
Saros is only 26. If he continues his play, I see no reason why he wouldn’t be apart of their long term plans. If Saros was 32, then I’d get your point but he’s still really young as far as starting goalies go.

Reactions: banks

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
unless TML retains, and maybe adds, don't see a reason for Nashville to add

NOT that i think Askarov gets traded anyway

he is not really blocked, he may not come over for a couple years
see this, re 3 of the top Russian Goalies currently early in their NHL careers

Shesterkin drafted 2014,NHL debut 2019
Sorokin drafted 2014,NHL debut 2020 (actually 2021 due to late season start)
Samsonov drafted 2015,NHL debut 2019

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

William Nylander

Yaroslav Askarov
Colton Sissons

Thoughts?
Askarov still has a lot to prove before we can say that he could hold down a starting gig in the NHL. In terms of value, I think it’s close.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I really wanted Askarov at the draft for Toronto. I think he's as close to a can't-miss goalie as it gets.

But I still might pass. Nylander is so much better than the average HF poster seems to think. Legit first line forward, young, signed to a good contract.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't really feel any need to add Nylander to our lineup in Nashville. I think we have our lineup pretty well covered already with incumbents, and at his salary I don't think he would add much. I'm assuming we could sign Granlund for less, and I'd rather just re-sign Granlund and keep Askarov.

Saros may only be 26, but... Askarov is only 18. That's still a significant 8 year gap. And it may take 5 years before we even know if Askarov will play. By then Saros will be 31. I'm pretty happy to just let that scenario play out, content in the knowledge that we at least have options percolating. There's no way I'd upset that peace of mind just to add an unnecessary Nylander to our lineup and our payroll.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We just drafted Askarov to build around for the future, don't see why we'd move him. By the time he comes over and Nylander will be in his late 20s.

But you'll be getting Nylander right now. That didn't make sense to me. Toronto will be getting Askarov for the future.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
But you'll be getting Nylander right now. That didn't make sense to me. Toronto will be getting Askarov for the future.
We're a mediocre team with no real aspirations towards contention right now, and having Nylander at $7M for 3 more years doesn't move the needle on that. We've got our top-6 forward slots filled already. What we need to do is start assembling the next core. Nylander just represents treading water. Assembling pieces like Askarov is the thing we really need to keep focusing on.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I really wanted Askarov at the draft for Toronto. I think he's as close to a can't-miss goalie as it gets.

But I still might pass. Nylander is so much better than the average HF poster seems to think. Legit first line forward, young, signed to a good contract.
Please stop! Nylander is a good hockey player. I hope you however can see his decent 1st liner numbers are gained NOT playing against the opponents top defensive pairings or shut down line. ... Matthews and Marner see those guys.

As to the value of this proposal, while Askarov projects as a starter (long term) I think Nylander (the very good 2nd liner) is still an overpayment. Many a can’t miss prospect has ... missed. If Nashville were to ever commit to a rebuild Saros would be a better target for the Leafs who are in win-now mode. And even Saros only get a top 3 prospect and a 1st, not a proven goal scorer.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I would say that they’re much more likely to keep Askarov then trade Saros when Askarov is ready. Nylander would be a useful player, but needs a top center to maximize his value. On the other hand, if Askarov comes close to his ceiling, he will be winning multiple games every year on his own.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Please stop! Nylander is a good hockey player. I hope you however can see his decent 1st liner numbers are gained NOT playing against the opponents top defensive pairings or shut down line. ... Matthews and Marner see those guys.

As to the value of this proposal, while Askarov projects as a starter (long term) I think Nylander (the very good 2nd liner) is still an overpayment. Many a can’t miss prospect has ... missed. If Nashville were to ever commit to a rebuild Saros would be a better target for the Leafs who are in win-now mode. And even Saros only get a top 3 prospect and a 1st, not a proven goal scorer.

You agree with everything I said, including my conclusion about the trade value, except splitting hairs on Nylander being a "1st liner" or "very good 2nd liner". So you start with "Please stop!"?

Overreact much? Sheesh.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
All GM's are not 'fans' they make trades to help their teams win immediately (rebuilds included), never for the long term future, because, they may not have a future with that team if they arent successful.
if a top line young player is offered for a goalie 4 years away at best, the GM will make that deal 99 times out of 100.
the only reason they may not is if they just signed a long term deal themselves.
and when the only roster player you are giving up has a career high 30 pts and is older than the player you are getting its a no brainer.
these are the type of deals that get the GM trading the young player get fired over.
even if the goalie becomes the next super goalie, it wouldnt be for 4-6 years, so, there will likely already be a new Gm and coach in place by then for both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad